David Lee Roth Now Will Be Known as David L. Roth or El Roth

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that’s really sad to see and hear; EVH is playing like he’s on a bad acid trip :(
You can hear EVH's confusion over his tuning. You hear him trying to bend into tune on the lead parts. What the video doesn't get across (because of the blown out recording) is the low mids and stuff in the synth track. That major 2nd would be beating up a storm throughout the entire frequency range live!

Now, this is not any reflection on anyone's talent on this one. It's a genuine mistake and would have been a trainwreck no matter who you were. Having a backing track being off by almost a whole tone just has to be the definition of insidious! Not far enough off to cause an instant "WTF?! Turn that off you idiot!" reaction. Truly a Spinal Tap moment in real life there! (But then those all come from true stories.)

The "banana fana-fo-fana" is a reference to Shirley Ellis' 1964 "The Name Game" song. (I guess the article's author is too young to remember.) Roth is just poking fun at all these stupid "woke" groups thinking they need to change their names.
But using "EL" could be considered cultural misappropriation

...Now, this is not any reflection on anyone's talent on this one. It's a genuine mistake and would have been a trainwreck no matter who you were. Having a backing track being off by almost a whole tone just has to be the definition of insidious!...

Absolutely. And of course, 48/44.1 = ~1.09, or roughly 1-1/2 semitones, placing that backing track squarely "between the frets." There was no way for Eddie to get there - especially with a locking tremolo!

But I'm still trying to figure out how that could have happened. Maybe a commercial CD player in the rack with word clock synced to the 48K digital mix console? But surely something like that would've been caught at sound check. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
For what it's worth, here's what seems to be the most plausible explanation for that mess up there. This was posted in the YouTube comments section about a year ago by someone named "NeeChee5150":

"The song Jump as recorded on the 1984 disc/album/tape is in C. However, since the Hagar days EVH has used a pro-tools playback track of the 1984 prelude and Jump that are in C#. There are multiple performances of Jump from this tour that are in fact in C#. There are multiple performances on of Jump from the Hagar and Cherone years on You tube when EVH is using the pro-tools tracks playing Jump in C# as well. Ever since the 1884 tour EVH has had to have a separate designated guitar to play Jump and I'll Wait because those songs are keyboard based songs. EVH tunes all of his guitars EXCEPT his Jump/I'll wait guitar to open E flat. Back when they used an onstage keyboard player his Jump guitar was tuned to play Jump in the key of C with the keyboards and this guitar was tuned to the A 440 standard. When EVH decided to start performing Jump in C#, once again he had to have his Jump guitar tuned accordingly so that he can play the song without having to worry about transposing or having to relearn the song in a different position on the neck. If you listen carefully when Wolfgang plays he is in tune with the keyboard tracks. Dave is in tune with the keyboard tracks. The problem here is that EVH did not switch to the designated Jump/I'll wait tuned guitar that would allow him to play Jump in the same fret positions on the neck of the guitar as he has been doing for decades. This debacle is 100% due to the guitar not being in tune with the rest of the band and especially the keyboard tracks. For proof of this fact, take two other performances of jump from this period of time and sync them up with this debacle and play them simultaneously. The keys play at the same exact pitch and speed and the guitars on the other two performances are playing in C# with the keys but this Greensboro debacle has a guitar track that is not in tune with the keyboard tracks of the three performances that are played simultaneously. Lonnie Totman one of EVH's former guitar techs explains why this CANT be due to sample rate differences and he explains about the long standing need to have a guitar tuned to play with the keyboard tracks. This is 100% on EVH as he can go and change guitars and resume playing on a song like Jump real easy."

DLR is my favorite rock front man ever, but nothing says "I'm Old" like making fun of someone who is trying to make changes for racial equality. He might as well just pull his pants up to his nipples and scream at kids to get off his lawn.

See it here:

Either Eddie's monitors were not working or he was not listening.

I think the glitch happened right at the end of the intro. It was in the right key and you could hear it bend up on the last note. It moved to the key of "L", because it sounded like L from that moment on!

Yikes.

As soon as the keyboard part started I thought, Why is that sharp? Bands usually tune down a half-step or 2 as they get older? Then Eddie came in... Ugh.

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what particular tech glitch would've caused the backing track to play at the wrong sample rate? That's not a common occurrence. :unsure:
Are we sure about the sample rate story? That sure sounded like a keyboard player bumped his pitch wheel at that moment.

The "banana fana-fo-fana" is a reference to Shirley Ellis' 1964 "The Name Game" song. (I guess the article's author is too young to remember.) Roth is just poking fun at all these stupid "woke" groups thinking they need to change their names.
And how old are you?

Back