HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - BITCHES BREW [SACD-JAPAN]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - BITCHES BREW

• Total voters

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Ah you are right - appear most my ripped quad discs have five channels, and some are sole four channels (Chicago box) and none of these have this problem. This is even more weird.
Are you sure the ripped files are actually 5.0? (My Bitches Brew rips play correctly as true 5.0 files, lacking an LFE channel)

Ninecats

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Are you sure the ripped files are actually 5.0? (My Bitches Brew rips play correctly as true 5.0 files, lacking an LFE channel)
I decided to use Music Media Helper to remove silent center channel, leaving four channels left - that seems to do the trick with the first track I tried, will do the entire album and evaluate.

Matt Wilson

Good Lord.... This is the greatest quad mix I've ever heard! It's like it was made for surround, I'll never listen to this in stereo again. The way the sound comes and goes in the rear speakers, or the way an instrument will start in one speaker and end in another - worth every penny of the $70 I just spent on it.

par4ken

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I finally got around to playing this and as expected excellent sound and surround. I love the packaging of these discs although it contributes to the relatively high price. I wonder if this is the end of these releases from Sony Japan I haven't seen anything new in quite some time, I'm very thankful for the recent DV releases even if the packaging is not so flashy as this.

ashr1565

Getting in late but 10, I gave about 75 canadian rupees for this thing despite not being a huge fan of Miles and that was a good choice, this album is great and the quad mix is, well everyone else has said how good it is and how lovely the packaging is. More than being one of the best quads, this is one of the best surround multichannel albums period, I use it alongside Dark Side of the Moon in quad and the Quadrophenia Bluray when I wanna show people the Magic of Multichannel™

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I know this is a poll thread, but I can't find another suitable thread. Morgan Enos did a nice feature on Bitches Brew for the Discogs Blog on March 30 to mark the 50th anniversary of the album's release.

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Of which one(s), @ssully? On the Corner, Jack Johnson, or In a Silent Way (other than the 2002 SACD)?
Jack Johnson - it's mentioned in the liners of the 5CD box that came out in 2005. I wonder why this was canned? (or better yet, why did they do the new mixes in DSD only to release them on regular CDs?)

Jack Johnson Box Credits.jpg

Last edited:

Mcallister

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Well I received the package yesterday. First off super cool design.

I’ve always been a classic rock, 90’s alternative guy growing up in that era. I’ve always appreciated classical and jazz and the like but never really listened to much, only buying some classical 5.1 discs because they had songs I knew.

I had just bought the latest MOFI SACD’s of Monks Dream and Charles Mingus and really enjoyed them especially the Mingus. I then came across this thread and with it being quad, took a quick listen and was like holy shit, sounded cool so I ordered, I have always been into psychedelic music and this had that upon the quick listen.

Needless to say I’m super happy I ordered it, the disc sounds great and the music is very cool, the presentation of packaging i also love. Reading about the Album while listening really opens up my imagination of what was happening at the time, love it.

Is all Miles Davis like this? I’m going to venture into some more MOFI, and surround jazz and really like this style. Any other suggestions?

Clement

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter

I’ve always been a classic rock, 90’s alternative guy growing up in that era. I’ve always appreciated classical and jazz and the like but never really listened to much, only buying some classical 5.1 discs because they had songs I knew.

I had just bought the latest MOFI SACD’s of Monks Dream and Charles Mingus and really enjoyed them especially the Mingus. I then came across this thread and with it being quad, took a quick listen and was like holy shit, sounded cool so I ordered, I have always been into psychedelic music and this had that upon the quick listen.

Needless to say I’m super happy I ordered it, the disc sounds great and the music is very cool, the presentation of packaging i also love. Reading about the Album while listening really opens up my imagination of what was happening at the time, love it.

Is all Miles Davis like this? I’m going to venture into some more MOFI, and surround jazz and really like this style. Any other suggestions?
check out @edisonbaggins Life in Surround episode

himey

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

For Miles, get In A Silent Way. It took me way too long to realize how good it is. The title is misleading. Nothing silent about it. If you dig it then move on to Live-Evil. Both titles are beyond amazing.

Herbie Hancock Headhunters, Billy Cobham Spectrum SACD quad mix (not the 5.1 DVDA) and Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra should be next on your list.