HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - IN A SILENT WAY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - IN A SILENT WAY

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Released in 1969 and featuring a lineup of future jazz superstars (Wayne Shorter, John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, Dave Holland and Tony Williams) In a Silent Way truly ushered in Davis' jazz-fusion heyday, one that would come to full fruition the following year with the release of Bitches Brew.

1620066677403.png

Discogs links: 2002 US SACD / 2002 EU SACD / 2002 Japan SACD / 2007 Japan SACD
Wiki page for the album: In a Silent Way

5.1 mix by Mark Wilder

1. Shhh / Peaceful
  2. In a Silent Way / It's About That Time

This is perhaps the easiest 10 I ever gave. Top 3 all-time surround disc. Just an absolutely mind-blowingly great and discrete mix, like hearing the album for the first time again.

Great disc. Solid album, great mix, buy it to go with your expensive Japanese Bitches Brew quad.

If only the Sketches of Spain DVD was more easily attainable...

I’m going with a “10” as well. Bitches Brew and Live-Evil have more aggressive surround mixes, but I find the music here much more accessible.

The layout of the 5.1 mix is relatively simple, but very effective--it sounds absolutely huge, despite coming from what I'd guess is an 8-track master. The center channel acts as the focal point of the performance, containing Miles’ trumpet and the bulk of the drum kit. However, there’s also a fair amount of drum sound in the rear channels--so listening from the sweet spot gives the impression of that hypnotic drum pattern projecting directly inside your head. It’s definitely one of the coolest uses of phantom imaging I’ve heard in a 5.1 mix.

The front soundstage has John McLaughlin’s guitar on the left and Wayne Shorter’s sax on the right, but neither is panned entirely to one side--they’re sort of hovering in those spaces between the center and front speakers. The rears are reserved primarily for the keyboards--I think there's one in rear left, one in phantom rear center, and one in rear right--and some nice ambience from Miles’ trumpet. It's like being in a completely enveloping, immersive bubble.

Finally, the sound quality and mastering are excellent--you can really crank this up, and the noise floor is quite a bit lower than the original stereo mix (though not entirely erased). If you like the music, don't hesitate to track this down.

I read everyones thoughts above last night and thought Id put it on and listen to a couple of minutes to remind myself how it sounded. Its an album I played to death when I first heard it in the 90s so Ive not really played it in a long while due to overfamiliarity

39 or so minutes later I was still sat there with my eyes still closed.

It really is a superb mix of a superb recording of superbly edited superb performances (of superb material)

What Id really love to hear is a similarly well mixed version of Bill Laswell's Panthalassa edits of Miles' turn of the 70s material (actually, talking of Material - the Seven Souls album would also be more than welcome in surround). Ah well, we can but dream

Has to be a 10

Christ, this is a 10! Not quite the eargasm that Bitches Brew in quad is, but so far, this is the next best Miles in surround that I've heard. This should be ranking highly in our polls, not hidden away where you can't find it. I love this ambient stuff in 5.1. Some Can would be nice in surround as well...
It really is good, I agree completely. I just got the 7" SACD version of Live-Evil this week, and believe it is almost as good. The 5.1 version of Sketches of Spain is not to be missed, either.

It really is good, I agree completely. I just got the 7" SACD version of Live-Evil this week, and believe it is almost as good. The 5.1 version of Sketches of Spain is not to be missed, either.
Yeah, I've got all of those now. Live Evil sounds good, but it's a difficult album for me to listen to. Here's hoping more Miles in surround is coming soon. Imagine Jack Johnson or On the Corner in 5.1...

Back