HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - KIND OF BLUE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - KIND OF BLUE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
I finally got around to listening to this SACD. Holy crap, it's a freaking 10 all the way!

First off, like others have said, it's really a 3.0 mix with ambience in the rears, but it's "real" ambience. I looked at the wav files (I was making a DVD-A for the car), and there really is stuff back there, it's just not your "wrap around surround", sax in the back mix - which is GOOD!

The front three channels are VERY dicrete, and the horn moves from speaker to speaker in different passages (not literally 'moving' per se). It's clear as a bell, and if you crank it up you will hear plenty of hiss in the quiet passages, so you know they did not kill the sonics with heavy NR. In fact, at times the only thing in the front right channel is a constant brush on a cymble, and I thought there was something wrong with the recording when soloing that channel!!

After hearing this SACD in 5.0 (there is no LFE), one might wonder why any other recording of this classic would exist.

TEN ALL THE WAY - go grab this disc while you can. If you are not a jazz type, but like a little background mood music from time to time - THIS IS THE DISC TO GET.

You have been warned. Get it while you can.................

You do know that a new SACD reissue, with a possible new remastering, is being released this coming October by Japan Sony Music, right?

Chris, you can now have your 4th and 5th version of this title :D

Last edited:
Umm as owner of the dual disc will I hear a difference in the new SACD remastering? I'm happy with the sound of this edition...

Umm as owner of the dual disc will I hear a difference in the new SACD remastering? I'm happy with the sound of this edition...

If you're happy, don't sweat it - enjoy it. But yes, the hi-res SACD is sonically and audibly (to my ears) superior to the Dolby Digital surround track on the DualDisc.

EDIT: Just realized you were referring to the new version to be released later this year. Haven't heard that one, but if they've brick-walled it to make it louder, the Dolby Digital might be better ;)

Is the upcoming release a hybrid? That would be the only thing to improve on the original SACD release.

Its all in the LF/C/RF except for some ambiance in the RS/LS but this disc is a real work of art. I loved my old copies of this record, but this new recording really is damn near perfect!

Much better IMHO - and I am not a fan of Super Audio's.
The DualDisc version by comparison sounds muddy to me. I had the DD as soon as it was released and loved it so much I acquired the High Rez version instead - it opens out detail that the dreaded Dolby Digital version just hides.
Gave it an 8 - just couldn't give the full 10 because although it is a classic - "So What" just grabs me from the get-go and I'm away for the rest of the album - IMHO it's not as good as Tutu is.
Horses for courses. Anyone who has the DD DualDisc release should buy this version for certain. And once you do, you will really begin to understand why I am so down on these Dobly releases.

I think you will hear a difference, I have the DualDisc, single layer SACD and the remastered CD and think all are great for their respective formats. Considering the age of the recording, all are impressive to me. Now is the SACD worth the cost to upgrade? I can't answer that one since used DualDiscs don't sell for much.

Chris

I had the CD and really liked the album, but the SACD has given me an entire new appreciation for it. I'll enjoy this recording for years to come. If you like classic jazz, get it. I'll go a 9.

Geez, I dunno. I guess I have to give this one a “9”?

The music is obviously an easy 10. And I love this disc as it’s the best this album has ever sounded, IMO. But the surround is what it is. They did what they could and it does give you a nice “in the room” feel. But it’s not true surround so I can’t really give it a 10.

Great disc though.

Listening to this with front R+L via carver C9 sonic hologram gizmo

wow, the miserable surround field now wraps around 360 degrees.
Normally the c9 is bypassed on surround recordings. But on this one with the good front and minimal (but real) rear ambient info, it works a treat, filling the missing soundstage.
Sounds like proper surround (well, almost!)

You do know that a new SACD reissue, with a possible new remastering, is being released this coming October by Japan Sony Music, right?

Chris, you can now have your 4th and 5th version of this title :D

Help an ignorant Pupster - Please.
OK folks, it's been awhile since the Japan 2007 SACD was released and I just realized I've only got the Dualdisc version of this masterpiece.o_O
So, who feels that the 2007 version is a superior mastering to the other versions, or not?

I've been searching for a copy of Sketches of Spain multichannel cant find any......anyone have an idea where to look? Already did Ebay to no avail. Picked up a brand new sealed copy of the Japanese press of Kind of Blue for under $28 US including shipping

I've been searching for a copy of Sketches of Spain multichannel cant find any......anyone have an idea where to look? Already did Ebay to no avail. Picked up a brand new sealed copy of the Japanese press of Kind of Blue for under $28 US including shipping
Wow, that turned quick, just a year or two ago, these could be had for $30-40 easy, now Nada!
Get em while there're Hot folks ('er first born!)

Back