HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - LIVE EVIL [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - LIVE EVIL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
How many of these people do you think can afford a $50+ plastic disc with music on it right now?

What world do you live in?

View attachment 50433
View attachment 50434
20200410arFoodBank04-3-1586537065.jpg

Xgjk1-weekly-initial-unemployment-claims-in-2020.png
this is a surround forum, man...for reality there is the news...please don't condescend me, I am not stupid,OK? thanks.

All right, so I've been through this one a few times now.
Mix: 2
Sonics: 3
Music: 2
Package: 1

Voting "8". The mix is aggressive and fun, but I prefer drums centered or stereo up front, not in a rear corner.
The music is "challenging," so just isn't as easily enjoyable as other offerings. At times the content is very raw, like when you can hear the hum from McLaughlin's guitar amp quite loudly.

Overall, thrilled that it got released and to own it. It is a beautiful item and an enjoyable listen, when in the right mood.

All right, so I've been through this one a few times now.
Mix: 2
Sonics: 3
Music: 2
Package: 1

Voting "8". The mix is aggressive and fun, but I prefer drums centered or stereo up front, not in a rear corner.
The music is "challenging," so just isn't as easily enjoyable as other offerings. At times the content is very raw, like when you can hear the hum from McLaughlin's guitar amp quite loudly.

Overall, thrilled that it got released and to own it. It is a beautiful item and an enjoyable listen, when in the right mood.

The one speaker rear drums doesn't bother me on this mix like it does on the updated mix of Who Tommy from 2013. Might be the style of music or that I am way more familiar with Tommy.

The one speaker rear drums doesn't bother me on this mix like it does on the updated mix of Who Tommy from 2013. Might be the style of music or that I am way more familiar with Tommy.
It doesn't bug me that badly on this release, either. In fact, I was drifting a bit when the EPIC drum solo begins in "What I Say". It's possible the right rear treatment caused it to stand out and really brought me back in to the moment. That drum solo is amazeballs.

I love this quad. The energy on this is contagious.
My wife will come in while I'm playing it and she fears for my sanity. Some parts will have me re-enacting a dance scene from the movie " Reefer Madness"
I like the variety displayed here. To borrow a quote describing this release:
"run the gamut from barroom brawl action-funk to sensual bedroom jazz magic, creating two hours of charged eccentricity you'll never forget".
For me the Frenetic live material is almost too much by itself. Then the beautiful studio sounds come to the rescue and lend respite to the onslaught.
I also like the variety of instruments poking through the usual mix. You've got Miles using a wah wah. You've got - Flute. Sitar. Then there are other percusion sounds I can't identify.
I think the sound quality is very good. The bass is incredibly tight & full. How do they get such a discrete live mix? The venue...the engineer?
I won't compare this to Bitche's Brew because for me it is a different animal.
From what I understand parts of different songs were edited together to make what became Live Evil. I like the way this was done.
My only criticism is that I would have liked a studio song between Funky Tonk & Inamorata.
These two long songs back to back is a bit too much for me.
I'm very glad I bought this. I listened to some songs on YouTube but was really on the fence about buying it.
The QQ crew gave it such glowing reviews that I had to try it. Hearing in in luscious SACD quad makes this a winner for me.
Reefer madness dance

Brilliant mate

I haven't spent enough time with this one myself, but based on what I've heard so far it's another home run from Sony Japan. I actually felt this release was even more of a revelation than Bitches Brew as it's the first airing of the discrete quad master tape. This quad mix didn't work particularly well in SQ as there's already some leakage between the instruments on the live tracks, so it's a thrill to hear it as Ray Moore intended. It's another crazy active mix with wide separation and even some psychedelic channel-hopping effects.

As with Bitches Brew, I can't see anyone complaining about the mix or fidelity here - it's the challenging content that'll end up being the deciding factor. I tend to prefer the aggressive 'funkier' live tracks to the more mellow and often arhythmic studio material.

It probably won't be a frequent listen for me, but I'm glad to have it. My vote will likely end up being at least an "8", if not a "9".

"Gemini"/"Double Image":
View attachment 50437

"What I Say":
View attachment 50436

Here's hoping that Sony Japan can dig up Mark Wilder's unreleased Jack Johnson 5.1 mix for their next release!
"Jack Johnson 5.1 mix for their next release! "

Yes please

Thanks to the kindness of a QQ member (who foolishly asked to remain nameless) I was able to get a copy of this disc when it came out, at a time when I wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford it. So to that person, thank you, and yes I will help you roll that person you "accidentally" hit with your car in a rug and throw the body off a bridge - I just need some advance warning so I can reserve the date.

It's probably been said before in this thread, but I just have to reiterate how beautiful the presentation of this package is - it replicates the design of the original Japanese gatefold SQ LP down to a T, even to the point that if you flip the sash obi-strip inside out, it has the original LP obi design on that side. Obviously these discs are expensive, but for me, this sets the standard for quality in reissue packaging for a major label - I'd rather have one of these at $50, than a barebones MoFi cardboard digipack for 10 bucks less.

So I've listened to this album a few times now, and I'm still not sure what to rate it. It's sort of like the fancy silverware - the kind of thing that only gets brought out and enjoyed once or twice a year, but I suppose unlike the fancy silverware, I wouldn't get Live-Evil out when I had company over, as it gets a bit "raunchy," to use a word that my dad once used to describe the second half of the Chicago Transit Authority album.

I actually hadn't listened to this album very much in the past, for a couple of reasons - one is that it never received discrete (Q8) release and seriously dislike SQ decoding, especially for any kind of "busy" music. The other is that I was under the misapprehension that it was a half-studio/half-live album, and I find that often albums like that are basically an excuse to cobble two different kinds of under-cooked leftovers together. That isn't the case here - what I would call this is an album of original material culled from both studio and live recordings, oftentimes with both sources employed within the same track.

The wiki page for the album has the full breakdown of the sources and edits used to make the record, but I just wanted to show an example of this by highlighting the first track, Sivad:

(Recorded December 19, 1970 at The Cellar Door, Washington, DC & May 19, 1970 at Columbia Studio B, New York, NY)

TimingSource
00:00-00:01"Directions" (2nd set) 0:00-0:01 (drum roll)
00:02-03:24"Directions" (2nd set) 11:30-14:44 + "Honky Tonk" 00:00-00:08
03:25-04:14"Honky Tonk" (studio, May 19, 1970) 00:00-00:49
04:15-09:11"Honky Tonk" (2nd set) 05:23-10:20
09:12-15:12"Honky Tonk" (2nd set) 15:13-21:14

So as you can see, the first three and a half minutes or so are from a live recording, and then it switches from a live recording of Directions, to a live recording of Honky Tonk to the studio version (I love how the room ambiance changes as it does) and then back to the live version of Honky Tonk for the final 10 minutes or so.

In this digital age I think we take the ability to cut and paste, manipulate and rearrange things with ease for granted - but think about the fact that in a song like that (which has at least 6 edits) that to make those edits, you have to locate the exact point on the master tapes where you want the edit to be and literally cut the tape with a razor blade - no re-do's or second chances if you screw it up! You can see video of Hugh Padgham doing this during the making of the Genesis album in 1983 in one of those documentaries (found it on YouTube here) that came with the SACDs, and honestly, every time I see it I hold my breath even though I know it's going to turn out alright.

Add to the fact that each edit requires two cuts (end of one section and the beginning of the next) so 6 edits is 12 cuts, and then add up all the edits on Live-Evil (or any of the other Miles Davis albums) and you'll start to grasp the remarkable role that Teo Macero played in the creation of the album. Also remarkable is Ray Moore's quad mix - I'm not sure if Macero edited the actual multitrack tape, or if they mixed things to stereo and then edited the stereo sections together - if it's the latter, and Moore had to recreate the quad mix by re-assembling and editing all the various multitracks, he's done an absolutely remarkable thing indeed. As others have said, it's not as crazy as the quad mix for Bitches Brew, but it's also no slouch, with instruments equally weighted between all four speakers. I particularly like the tracks that feature John McLaughlin because you can hear him going nuts, solidly panned to the rear-left speaker.

After this Moore went on to be CBS's main man for classical quad mixing, and did a lot of highly regarded stuff, including all the E. Power Biggs organ quads - based on how good his two Miles Davis mixes are, it's a real shame that he didn't get to work on any more jazz or pop material. I also had occasion to A/B a fold-down of the quad with the stereo version on headphone for a bit in Foobar after I ripped the SACDs, and the quad mix is considerably better sounding in terms of frequency response - there's more low lows and upper midrange, and all the instruments are more well defined.

I also think I achieved peak jazz-hole listening to this album, because there were a couple of times I actually laughed out loud at what the musicians were doing - I'm not sure exactly how to articulate this, but I think I've listened to almost every funk album of note from the late 60s to the early 80s, so I have (what I think is) a really strong grasp on the conventions of the genre. These "laugh out loud" moments happen when I can hear the guys on this album that have jazz sensibilities (like Keith Jarrett, John McLaughlin, etc.) purposely go 'left' when a funk musician would go 'right', like avoiding playing on the "one", or playing some weird harmony around a riff instead of joining in with the groove the way a more R&B grounded player would. So when I say laugh out loud, I don't mean it derisively, I mean it more in a sly "a-ha, I see what you're doing there, you sneaky jazzman!" kind of way. As I said, peak jazz-hole on my part.

So yeah, to sum up, love this release, stunning packaging, fantastic sonics, but it doesn't come off the shelf nearly as often as other titles that I'd rate as highly as this one, so I'm not sure what numerical score to give it. And maybe a slightly unpopular opinion, but the pastoral Hermeto Pascoal numbers on the album do very little for me - gimme those 15 or 20 minute funk workouts!

Just a little FYI on the razor blade edits.

The workflow was normally:
Mix the section in question (to 4-track in this case).
Mix the next section of music to 4-track.
Now edit the 4-track mix master tape.
If the edit is good, move on to the next section of music.

If there's a blunder you can always start over and mix the preceding section from the multitrack again.

There are probably all kinds of cases of doing things differently and editing the multitracks even!
But there was a reasonable (at the time) workflow to do this.

I'm pretty sure classical music still holds the title for most edits. Something I never get tired of pointing out if there are any purists within earshot. :D

I don't actually know if the stereo mixes match the quad for the edits. If they match exactly, then they must have edited the multitrack. You definitely have to hold your lips just right for moves like that!

Oh, there are magnetic viewers thingies too. Filings suspended in oil in a thing with a glass window. Put it over the tape and view the waveforms. Not like on a computer screen but a tool none the less.

Just got around to buying this one - looks like the supply is starting to dry up so it was time to finally get off the fence. A radical improvement over the 2 channel version and wonderfully packaged as well. Even though I have owned the stereo version at least 20 years, I am finding new things to enjoy in this dense and somewhat challenging music. Gotta give it a “10”. Buy it while you still can!

Back