HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - LIVE EVIL [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - LIVE EVIL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts on this 2020 reissue from Sony Japan of the classic Miles Davis album "Live Evil".
This Multichannel SACD contains the first commercial release of the original Quadraphonic mix in over 40 years!

R-14692824-1579779399-3474.jpeg.jpg

R-14692824-1579779389-7420.jpeg.jpg

Fantastic! Gave it a 10. I have an SQ Japanese LP and the improvement is huge! As always with SACDs the mix is much more discrete and clear, but also the mastering is top notch. For instance, Wayne Shorter's sounds amazing on Inamorata, much more present and rich. Packaging is stunning as usual with these 7" mini LP releases. Overall, this one goes all the way to 11!

Sound quality and surround are fantastic, and of course you have to love the packaging. Music wise I would say if you don't like Jazz forget about this. I found the first three tracks rather boring, I almost fell asleep. Track 4 "What I Say" opens things up nicely. Airto Moreira plays on this set and you can hear his style of play, it sounds a lot like Airto "Fingers". I'll go with a 9, if I was more of a jazz or easy listening fan it I would have to give it a 10 for sure!

I used to think of this album the way some people talk about Amnesiac: as the "leftovers" to Bitches Brew's Kid A. But hearing the discrete mix in high-res has made me reconsider. (For the record: I've always thought Amnesiac stands on its own, too.) It's not as flashy as BB, and I'll confess I can do without "Funky Tonk" and "Inamorata." But "Sivad" and "What I Say" get into some seriously deep, complex grooves. And the shorter cuts are as delicately beautiful as anything on In a Silent Way. The quad mixes are subtle, too--definitely worth an attentive, undistracted listen. "9" from me.

Last edited:
I finally couldn´t resist buying this. I was very impressed by the Bitches brew SACD which actually makes that otherwise quite demanding record to be an enjoyment right through.
The reason for hesitating with this one was that live records don´t usually have an impressing surround sound. But when i read some of the reviews i got the impression that this disc was different. And it really was. I just love listening to this. I understand that the price keeps people from buying this one but i will definitely recommend this one if you want to hear discrete quad audio. As with Bitches brew it is very easy to enjoy these discs now.
This is said to the listeners who are not 100% believers of Miles Davis magic.
These two discs can be the thing that change your opinion to Miles Davis favour

Last edited:
Gaaa - In all the madness of the past several weeks, I lost track and did not realize that this came out already! A holy grail release for me. Any leads on the best prices right now??

I love this quad. The energy on this is contagious.
My wife will come in while I'm playing it and she fears for my sanity. Some parts will have me re-enacting a dance scene from the movie " Reefer Madness"
I like the variety displayed here. To borrow a quote describing this release:
"run the gamut from barroom brawl action-funk to sensual bedroom jazz magic, creating two hours of charged eccentricity you'll never forget".
For me the Frenetic live material is almost too much by itself. Then the beautiful studio sounds come to the rescue and lend respite to the onslaught.
I also like the variety of instruments poking through the usual mix. You've got Miles using a wah wah. You've got - Flute. Sitar. Then there are other percusion sounds I can't identify.
I think the sound quality is very good. The bass is incredibly tight & full. How do they get such a discrete live mix? The venue...the engineer?
I won't compare this to Bitche's Brew because for me it is a different animal.
From what I understand parts of different songs were edited together to make what became Live Evil. I like the way this was done.
My only criticism is that I would have liked a studio song between Funky Tonk & Inamorata.
These two long songs back to back is a bit too much for me.
I'm very glad I bought this. I listened to some songs on YouTube but was really on the fence about buying it.
The QQ crew gave it such glowing reviews that I had to try it. Hearing in in luscious SACD quad makes this a winner for me.

I haven't spent enough time with this one myself, but based on what I've heard so far it's another home run from Sony Japan. I actually felt this release was even more of a revelation than Bitches Brew as it's the first airing of the discrete quad master tape. This quad mix didn't work particularly well in SQ as there's already some leakage between the instruments on the live tracks, so it's a thrill to hear it as Ray Moore intended. It's another crazy active mix with wide separation and even some psychedelic channel-hopping effects.

As with Bitches Brew, I can't see anyone complaining about the mix or fidelity here - it's the challenging content that'll end up being the deciding factor. I tend to prefer the aggressive 'funkier' live tracks to the more mellow and often arhythmic studio material.

It probably won't be a frequent listen for me, but I'm glad to have it. My vote will likely end up being at least an "8", if not a "9".

"Gemini"/"Double Image":
Gemini Double Image.jpg

"What I Say":
What I Say.jpg

Here's hoping that Sony Japan can dig up Mark Wilder's unreleased Jack Johnson 5.1 mix for their next release!

Back