DVD/DTS Poll Davis, Miles - Sketches of Spain [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Mile Davis - SKETCHES OF SPAIN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Gave it an 8 because I was feeling generous.
Had it for for a few years, listened to the 5.1 DTS again just now.
the surround ain't no bitchez brew (how could it), but at least they've tried, blessem.

Decent effort.

I gave it a 10.......doesn't get much better than this[the closest I came to seeing something like this live was seeing the NIU jazz band with Louie Bellson back around 1984 at my high school].

Is this one worth trying to hunt down? The market is insane, with Amazon and Fleabay asking $100+ CAD and Discogs asking $286(!!!!).

Is this one worth trying to hunt down? The market is insane, with Amazon and Fleabay asking $100+ CAD and Discogs asking $286(!!!!).
Yes, very much worth it, but stay vigilant as I believe you should be able to buy it for $20-30, I’d say after a year of looking if it doesn’t come up cheaper, then maybe the market has shifted and folks are finally on to this one.

I got one and when i received it form a seller the disc snapped as i took it out and i did not apply alot of pressure.. This never happend to me before on any sacd dvd or blu ray i ever bought.. Luckily he refunded me as i sent him a ton of pictures :).

No sadly, youtube would be the only place i guess lol. I just looked it up on eBay and it was 25 bucks NM shrink wrapped.

Last edited:
That is what i paid for it when i got it and when i unwrapped and and took the disc out it snapped :(.

I voted 7 for while the multichannel mix is sumptuously discrete, it does grate one's ears somehow. I don't know whether it has poor dynamic range or the treble is hot in places, or something else entirely, but I found it unbearable after a few spins. So much so, in fact, I eventually sold my copy.

I could easily have scored it lower, such is the abrasiveness, but in fairness, it does deliver as a dynamic multichannel mix... if you're prepared to put up with the harshness.

I voted 7 for while the multichannel mix is sumptuously discrete, it does grate one's ears somehow. I don't know whether it has poor dynamic range or the treble is hot in places, or something else entirely, but I found it unbearable after a few spins. So much so, in fact, I eventually sold my copy.

I could easily have scored it lower, such is the abrasiveness, but in fairness, it does deliver as a dynamic multichannel mix... if you're prepared to put up with the harshness.

Derek [welcome back, BTW] did you try playing the LOSSLESS Stereo version on the disc for comparison? I know what you're referring to but after a few adjustments to my system,* it did sound superb.

*moveable sound reinforcing devices: roomtunes/shakti holograms ..... THEY REALLY 'n TRULY WORK wonders!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I did play the stereo version but the multichannel mix was the main event as it were and as it wasn't working, it had to go. And I don't think I tried any tweaking on my AVR to see if I could fix the mix to make it work... but I guess it's moot now seeing as I don't have the DVD anymore. Still, at least it wasn't Kind of Blue that sounded rough on the ears. Getting rid of that masterpiece would have made me feel kind of blue for sure!

I'm pretty sure I did play the stereo version but the multichannel mix was the main event as it were and as it wasn't working, it had to go. And I don't think I tried any tweaking on my AVR to see if I could fix the mix to make it work... but I guess it's moot now seeing as I don't have the DVD anymore. Still, at least it wasn't Kind of Blue that sounded rough on the ears. Getting rid of that masterpiece would have made me feel kind of blue for sure!

I do swear by those tweaks, Derek, as they've saved many a bright or muddy album from the ebay or Amazon third party bins. Remember, our listening rooms weren't fashioned for sound and a lot of listening spaces could use a little bit of help for a surprisingly more robust presentation. DA DAH!

So this finally sold out at Monster? They had them for years, like while it was limited - the was more copies perhaps pressed than the Ritenour or others.

Back