December 2021 Mix Online Cover Story on Apple Spatial

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Mostly a puff piece, though there is a passing acknowledgment of Apple's "muddled messaging." (One interesting pull quote: "Apple does not accept upmixes from stereo masters on its platform. Apple also does not synthesize or upmix any song into the Dolby Atmos format, contrary to the rumors that spread online after the launch of Spatial Audio.") Very informative, just the same, with a heavy emphasis on the new MacBooks and Logic Pro as Atmos production tools.

Also in this issue: a short feature on Dweezil Zappa's embrace of Atmos, and a good column on the imprecision and terminological slippage among terms like immersive, 3-D, surround, binaural, etc.

https://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/mix540.digital_december_2021

(One interesting pull quote: "Apple does not accept upmixes from stereo masters on its platform. Apple also does not synthesize or upmix any song into the Dolby Atmos format, contrary to the rumors that spread online after the launch of Spatial Audio.")

Since Apple is not creating any of the Atmos Music “content”, I suppose that quote is factual. However, I doubt that Apple ensures there are no upmixes provided to them.

Since Apple is not creating any of the Atmos Music “content”, I suppose that quote is factual. However, I doubt that Apple ensures there are no upmixes provided to them.

Given that they say they don't accept upmixes, your statement is rather confrontational, and you should prove your disagreement.

Back