Decoder: Akai Universal Synthesizer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Here's another rarity. I waited three years for one of these to show up on Ebay. This is the Akai SS-1 (Surround Sound) Universal Synthesizer.

IMG_0070.JPG

There was a time in the late 60's/early 70's that some audiophiles considered reel-to-reel tape as the only true high fidelity source of music. This elite group (or audio snobs) consider even LPs to be of such inferior sound that any other component in their sound system (if any) was consider to be just an add-on accessory to their r2r system. Akai's main product was reel-to-reel and they made some of the best available. I have owned probably 20 - 30 reel-to-reel decks in my life and my Akai 747 DBX is still my favorite and works like the day I bought it.
So, when quad came along, Akai produced the SS-1 for reel-to-reel system owners to get into the game by adding the SS-1 and an additional stereo amp and rear speakers.

IMG_0071.JPG

In effect, it is a pre-amp with inputs for two stereo tape decks, a quadraphonic tape deck, another magnetic Aux input and a turntable. (How many decoders/quad sythns had a phono pre-amp?) DIN in/outs are also provided.

IMG_0075.JPG

Note that it does not claim to be a decoder, but rather a synthesizer. (Maybe Akai didn't want to pay for SQ or QS licenses.) It uses simple variable matrix-type controls to do its magic. Uniquely it uses two different methods for both the front and rear channels. Most decoder/syths only try to create rear channel effects.

IMG_0069.JPG

The Matrix circuits are active with the mode set to "4Ch Matrix" for all four stereo inputs. (The quad tape input bypasses the matrix and is selected with the mode switch set to "4CH Discrete".) The Front Matrix control varies the front left and right channels between full stereo and mono. So, the front soundstage can be true stereo wide or dead center mono and anywhere in between. The Rear Matrix control varies the rear left and right channels between true stereo and wide, Hafler/Dynaco-type out of phase stereo. The rear matrix control is basically the same thing as the Marantz Vari-Matrix Dimension control on their quad units. Both controls are simple ways to synthesize quad, but at least they are variable (instead if just pre-set stereo/mono and stereo/OOP switches) and work entirely independent from each other. I'm surprised more manufactures didn't copy this approach.

Nice clean and neat wiring inside using quality components and controls.

IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0068.JPG

The quality extends to the outside, too - brushed aluminum faceplate, heavy real metal knobs held on with set screws, metal top, back and bottom, wood side panels and a 10 foot (!) power cord. Weight is about 8 lbs. Mine is in excellent shape and has good clear sound with no noise from any the pots and the switches lock firmly into place.

IMG_0079.JPG

The Akai SS-1 is an impressive quad sythn/pre-amp and one that seems to be very rare.

Mark

re: "Visually grading LPs is fine as long you only want to look at records..."
So true. I remember when I was a kid a guy was offering 45's at 25 cents apiece - great tunes, and they looked perfect, not a scratch anywhere!
So I grabbed a few bucks' worth. Turned out they were so worn out as to be unplayable. They had been pulled from jukeboxes after they were worn out from playing.https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/images/smilies/22_yikes.gif

Anyway, about that Akai S-1 decoder. I have one I haven't used in a while. Send me a note if you're interested.
Marc Stager

Back