Decoding Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
[NOTE: I have pulled this excellent post by Quad Linda from one of the Machine Head poll files because this title deserves a thread here at QQ to use as a resource for future surround fans to use as a reference. I had to split it into 4 separate posts to get all of the graphics in! Thanks to QL for taking the time to create the original post. (y) ] :-jon

Actually, there are three surround mixes of this album, which all have been released multiple times:

1 - WB US CD-4 LP/US Q8/US Q4 REEL

2- EMI Purple UK SQ LP/German HorZu SQ LP/UK Q8/UK SACD/DVD-V and SQ encoded CD (BOTH in 40th anniv box)
I'm a Leo & Lazy have different guitar solos from 2ch.

3- WB US DVD-A/Japan SACD NOT from Quad masters, but a new 5.1 mix

IMHO, #2 is the one to own, preferably the DVD-A version.

My first copy of this was a mint UK SQ which I bought in early '73, prior to the US Quad's release. So, this is the mix I've listened to most. I also own the DVD-A (CD size box w/slipcase) and the 40th Anniv box. Although the box has the UK Quad mix, both the CD and DVD-V are lossy. I bought the 40th anniv box for the 2ch unreleased material. The sole 2-ch only version of this album I bought is the UK 25th anniv edition.

WB US CD-4 Quadradisc:
US CD4.jpg

WB US Q8:
US Q8.jpg

WB US Q4 reel:
US Q4.jpg

2- EMI Purple UK SQ LP/German HorZu SQ LP/UK Q8/UK SACD/DVD-V and SQ encoded CD (BOTH in 40th anniv box)

UK SQ LP:
UK SQ.jpg

UK Q8:
UK Deep Purple Q8.jpg

UK SACD:
dp-sacd.jpg

UK 40th Anniv box:
deep-purple-machine-head-10-08-12.jpg

German SQ LP:

deep purple sq 2.jpg

German HorZu SQ LP:

<pending scan>

3- WB US DVD-A/Japan SACD NOT from Quad masters

Rhino (WB) US DVD-A (original pressing in CD-size case w/slipcover):
dp-dvd1.jpg

Rhino (WB) US DVD-A (in oversized jewel box):
dp-dvd2.jpg

WB Japan SACD:
Deep Purple Front.jpg

So, if there are any more versions around, reply to this thread and we'll get them out there.

I added a few better graphics than what QL had linked to from the original post as some of those links were dead, and I had some of the scans on my PC. If anyone has a better scan of the UK Q8, attach it to this thread and I'll move it up to the top posts.

Now we have a place to discuss this classic rock release that all rookie guitar players (and air guitar players) usually begin their 6 string journey with ;).

So, if there are any more versions around, reply to this thread and we'll get them out there.

I added a few better graphics than what QL had linked to from the original post as some of those links were dead, and I had some of the scans on my PC. If anyone has a better scan of the UK Q8, attach it to this thread and I'll move it up to the top posts.

Now we have a place to discuss this classic rock release that all rookie guitar players (and air guitar players) usually begin their 6 string journey with ;).

Australia SQ
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/2530564

Germany SQ HorZu edition
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/3351014

Germany SQ
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/7317150

UK Q8
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/4790146

There's one more Jon.

The 25th anniversary edition. Contains 2 tracks in SQ quad (UK MIX). "LAZY " and "Maybe I'm A Leo ". (y)

Sorry I don't have a pic though. I sold mine when I purchased the WB DVDA back in 2000. Now I want to get it once more as a comparative disc.

-derek

Tons of versions (geographic and format), but still there's really just 3 distinct surround mixes,as Quad Linda notes. I think that needs to keep being emphasized.

True. We don't have to show every single variation of each mix, just a few to make it clear which is which.

Was just playing with the files from the US quad mix and noticed something really weird.

I hardly ever listen to the Q4 rip (my version of choice for this title is the UK Quad on SACD), so I guess that's why I didn't notice this sooner- The final track, "Space Truckin", is the only track on the entire album that has vocals in the rears. Suspecting a possible channel swap, I switched the fronts and rears. Interestingly enough, post-channel swap it appears to be almost exactly the same as the UK quad mix. The way the multitracks are distributed is identical- one stereo pair has vocals, drums, and bass. The other pair has guitar panned to one side and keyboard on the other.

They're not identical- The US one has more reverb on the vocals and the UK has dry vocals at a lower volume in the rears- but you can see the visual similarity in the waveforms. I just think it's interesting because the other songs seem to have very different mixes.

UK SACD:
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 2.03.37 PM.jpg

Rear Excerpt: View attachment MHUK_rears.mp3

US Quad Reel (Fronts and rears swapped):
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 2.10.05 PM.jpg

Front Excerpt (Appear as rears in photo due to channel swap):View attachment MHUS_fronts.mp3

Kind of interesting, no? I suppose there's only so many ways you can present the same material (The 5.1 offers a third and far less discrete variation).

One of the best albums ever and the best quad mixes ever- whichever version you prefer.

The UK mix version I have is a supposedly 'corrected' one derived from the SACD

For Space Truckin', the front 2 channels are vocals and bass and drums. Rear 2 have organ, guitar, some drums (during the solo) and some vocal, but no bass at all.

The version of the US quad mix I have is from a quad reel (Q4) too. The vocals are virtually all (except tiny low-volume spillover) in back as you say. There's drums in front and rear throughout, which is another difference from the UK.

Last edited:
[NOTE: I have pulled this excellent post by Quad Linda from one of the Machine Head poll files because this title deserves a thread here at QQ to use as a resource for future surround fans to use as a reference. I had to split it into 4 separate posts to get all of the graphics in! Thanks to QL for taking the time to create the original post. (y) ] :-jon

Actually, there are three surround mixes of this album, which all have been released multiple times:

3- WB US DVD-A/Japan SACD NOT from Quad masters, but a new 5.1 mix

IMHO, #2 is the one to own, preferably the DVD-A version.

My first copy of this was a mint UK SQ which I bought in early '73, prior to the US Quad's release. So, this is the mix I've listened to most. I also own the DVD-A (CD size box w/slipcase) and the 40th Anniv box. Although the box has the UK Quad mix, both the CD and DVD-V are lossy. I bought the 40th anniv box for the 2ch unreleased material. The sole 2-ch only version of this album I bought is the UK 25th anniv edition.

If I have my facts right, #2 was actually released first (1972), then #1 (1974)...?

Back