Decoding Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[NOTE: I have pulled this excellent post by Quad Linda from one of the Machine Head poll files because this title deserves a thread here at QQ to use as a resource for future surround fans to use as a reference. I had to split it into 4 separate posts to get all of the graphics in! Thanks to QL for taking the time to create the original post. (y) ] :-jon

Actually, there are three surround mixes of this album, which all have been released multiple times:

1 - WB US CD-4 LP/US Q8/US Q4 REEL

2- EMI Purple UK SQ LP/German HorZu SQ LP/UK Q8/UK SACD/DVD-V and SQ encoded CD (BOTH in 40th anniv box)

I'm a Leo & Lazy have different guitar solos from 2ch.

3- WB US DVD-A/Japan SACD NOT from Quad masters, but a new 5.1 mix

2- EMI Purple UK SQ LP/German HorZu SQ LP/UK Q8/UK SACD/DVD-V and SQ encoded CD (BOTH in 40th anniv box)

Yes, I still wonder
SACD 2003 = "UK Quad Mix"
The DVD-V and SACD Lazy is 7:10 .
The SQ encoded CD... Lazy is 6:52 . Lazy is missing parts of the guitar solo after ca 5 minutes.

And the Drum Intro for Pictures of Home .. Listen just before the guitar comes in. (on the 2003 SACD / DVD-V)

I think Peter Mew adjusted something here and there in 2003.... And that the SQ mix is the original Peter Mew mix.

When were the two mixes released? US and UK mixes...
Quad Mixes Machine Head.jpg

US Quad Reel says 1973, and the US LP says 1974.

Lazy US Quad Mix is 7:19. It has also also a different guitar ending. Also the DVD Audio mix has that guitar ending.

PS
The Hi-hat on the Smoke on the Water intro can only be heard on the UK Quad mix...
From the Listen ... Box set.

Attachments

• Smoke on the Water Quad 74 intro.mp3
    967.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Jon, thanks for the renewed interest in this album. It's deserved.

For the UK Quad mix, I've been debating about buying the SACD. I already own that mix on the UK SQ, which was my original copy from early '73. It is as pristine as the day I unwrapped it. The UK pressing which sounds very nice through my Ortofon MC. Still, I've sometimes referred to SQ as sorta Quadraphonic.

In the day, I had no idea that the US CD-4 was a different mix. I would have bought it. The import SQ came out 6 months or more prior to the CD-4/Q8/QR. I didn't have the $$$ or inclination to rebuy the same mix, simply because it was on a better format (CD-4.)

I bought the SQ mix again on DVD-V in the anniversary box. Would I listen much to the SACD? Probably not.

Yet, as good as the UK mix is, the US DVD-A in it's original jewelbox w/slipcover is my go-to copy today. Yes, it is a radically different mix compared to the SQ I was most used to.

I also bought the UK 2 CD 25th Anniversary edition w/2 Quad mixes I never bothered to see if those decoded or were folded over into stereo. I bought it for all the other bonus stuff.

A truly classic album which I need to listen to more. The fact I didn't catch the timing differences and missing or added sounds attests to that need.

Caught them live in the late 90's in Tinley Park, IL. It was a triple bill w/ELP & Grand Funk.

Rock on.

Last edited:
Back