Decoding quad "incorrectly"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

I'm not a techie, but I have a question that probably only the techies can answer for me. If I play a QS or SQ disc through a simple Hafler or EV decoder, will I get unique output in all four channels? If so, will it match or nearly-match the mix that I would hear out of a true SQ or QS decoder (or even a Tate), or would it just create its own?

(I want to use the word 'discrete' instead of 'unique', but that makes folks think I'm talking about CD-4, and I'm not. I just mean I will hear sounds in one channel that are not in any other channel.)

There aren't any "perfect" decoders for the old analog encoder formats. There's no way to get the original discrete multichannel recording back exactly like the master with zero damage. Some of the analog decoders (and some of the software versions for decoding digitized copies of the analog encoding) work pretty well to get close with attention to detail in operating them. Some of the decoders work so poorly that you get a very poor almost mono output no matter how careful you are. The condition of the disc and the quality of the encoding in the first place matter.

The folks around here that still mess with the old tech will tell you all about it in detail. :)

Short answer is: No, these are lossy. The encode/decode is not lossless even in the best case.

The Hafler circuit is not a very good way to decode SQ, results will be about as good as with a run of the mill stereo record. QS will decode better, and give you a small taste of what to expect from a real decoder. Tate decoders for SQ and Vario-matrix decoders for QS can sound almost discrete, as can the Involve Surround Master.

Back