• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Decoding SQ Classical Records

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'm still scratching my head on this. They both claim not to be each other, but they both talk of the same things and have the same MO. But, at the end of the day....who cares....

watsontr

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I'm still scratching my head on this. They both claim not to be each other, but they both talk of the same things and have the same MO. But, at the end of the day....who cares....
AoQ you’re right of course. I do remember a time when communication with him was less troubled (but always on the verge of being prickly) but that was well before we’d found this forum

jonmchugh

I though I should post some example decodes to demonstrate why I think this Auroran script is an improvement on the previous attempts.

The audio sample posted here is an extract of Pachelbel's Canon On A Ground In D Major, Conducted by Neville Marriner and performed by The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. Recorded 1974 by EMI, Digitally remastered in 1997 by EMI from the SQ encoded masters.

The Scripts used are the Lucano SQ script. OD's SQ*Final and the Auroran script.

The Improvement from the Lucano script is stark and obvious, from the SQ*Final is more subtle, What I notice most with my hearing, and everyone hears things differently, is the phase-y flange-y sound his been eliminated and the very quietest details can shine though.

I post the rear channels of the decodes as a stereo flac file for you to listen to on your headphones, There are improvements in the sound of the fronts too but it's more apparent in the rears making comparision of such a subjective matter easier.
Also for reference I post the stereo source and the full 4.0 decode as flacs.

http://mchugh.it/SQLucano-rear.flac
http://mchugh.it/SQFinal-rear.flac
http://mchugh.it/SQAuroran-rear.flac

http://mchugh.it/stereo-source-SQ.flac
http://mchugh.it/Auroran-decode-4.0.flac

Last edited:

jonmchugh

OK, Here are a couple more comparisons.
The following is an extract of Beethoven's No.9 Conducted Rudolf Kempe Performed Munich Philharmonic 1974

The following is an extract of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake Conducted Andre Previn Performed London Symphony 1976

Last edited:

jonmchugh

I though I should add that I don't think classical and non-classic decoding should be treated as the same thing, They way there are recorded is quite different. The script that works best for classical may or may not be the best script for non-classical and I've done no testing on non-classical music.
The quadraphonic era was a decade before I was even born and music from that era does not interest me, Classical, however is timeless.

The Auroran

Banned
I though I should add that I don't think classical and non-classic decoding should be treated as the same thing, They way there are recorded is quite different. The script that works best for classical may or may not be the best script for non-classical and I've done no testing on non-classical music.
The quadraphonic era was a decade before I was even born and music from that era does not interest me, Classical, however is timeless.
Well it's fair to say that classical music doesn't make the most of a scripts possibilities, the best way to test and compare the viability of a script against others is with a good popular music quad mix.

par4ken

400 Club - QQ All-Star
It’s been Déjà Vu, sorry for thinking you are OD but this whole thing has happened before. I would ask that you consider re-posting your script for the betterment of the Quad community. If some don’t like it they are free to not use it, but your script has gotten positive reviews.

par4ken

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Well it's fair to say that classical music doesn't make the most of a scripts possibilities, the best way to test and compare the viability of a script against others is with a good popular music quad mix.
I would think that a good script would work well on any kind of music, from the little I I've been reading so far it sounds like it does.

Sonik Wiz

QQ Supporter
QQ Supporter
It’s been Déjà Vu, sorry for thinking you are OD but this whole thing has happened before. I would ask that you consider re-posting your script for the betterment of the Quad community. If some don’t like it they are free to not use it, but your script has gotten positive reviews.
The Auroran has been banned. Good riddance.

The Auroran

Banned
I would think that a good script would work well on any kind of music, from the little I I've been reading so far it sounds like it does.
Classical music's a poor way of testing the main areas that an Audition script will impact on. What is needed is a well spaced mix that includes the rears as if they were the same as the fronts.

par4ken

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Classical music's a poor way of testing the main areas that an Audition script will impact on. What is needed is a well spaced mix that includes the rears as if they were the same as the fronts.
So a well spaced mix is the best way of testing, but are you then saying the script is not good for classical or for reproducing intermediate sounds? Some question was made of script decoding in general and how smoothly it would handle panned sounds vs four corner points by Lynn Olson in the thread about Shadow Vector Decoding. Despite all that jonmchugh is raving about how good it is on classical music. What would seem important is how good it sounds to me, and does it sound better than previous attempts, is it best for me and the music that I like, If another script works better for me I'll use that instead.
I would like to you the Auroran to consider re-posting your script as a service to the Quad community. I don’t know what happened last time, but can’t we as Dr. Phil would say press the reset button. Those that have issue with you or your script don’t have to use it. It’s your prerogative weather to share or not but I would hope you would opt to share again.