Deep Bass in Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogmort

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Just built two new 18" sealed subs with tons of juice and I've been actively trying to seek out surround recordings with either really deep audible bass, or even more elusively, recordings with ultrasonic bass information. So far in my research, these are some surround titles with extreme bass extension:

1) Hans Zimmer -Live in Prague

Some of the best surround and bass of anything ever. Chapter 27 TASM is astounding! The bass solo in Rain Man at 1:09:00 is also pretty sweet!

2) Amin Bhatia - Interstellar Suite

Extreme movie vibe with the most powerful frequency modulated keyboard sounds of all time.

3) Gordon Goodwin - Big Phat Band - XXL

Some of the cleanest, tightest deep bass ever.

A few other albums where I've noticed some super deep bass:

The Beatles - Love

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi

...or even more elusively, recordings with ultrasonic bass information.

I think you mean infrasonic. Ultrasonic means frequencies above human hearing.

Some pipe organs have a low pedal with a 16 Hz fundamental. Any good recording of the Saint-Saens "organ" symphony #3 has a massive C minor chord that will shake your room right proper.

Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere BDV has great bass
Yes. I was re-tuning my system yesterday after seeing what the Onkyo's setup mic/program would change....but I let the system think there was no sub.
I just don't use my lil' sub all that much, and I don't have high end speakers. What I DO have is a matched speaker system with woofers that will get waay on down there.
ANYWAY! I was testing it using the Chicago concert by Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere"as test audio. Once I set the fronts for "full range" OH BOY! :cool:

EDIT: Oh, and I re-listened/watched Arriving Somewhere again this morning. Just absolutely love it.

Deep Bass ? I very highly recommend the Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACD of Super Session, by Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, and Stephen Stills.

1860.jpg

Pink Floyd ~ Endless River ~ many examples

Circa 17:00, last 30 seconds of Sum, measured SPL jumps low 80s to 93 dB peak, all sub action.
Rolling thunder at the end of Anisina... deep bomb at start of Night Light...
Powerful organ pedals at the end of Autumn '68 -> deep bass guitar opening Allons-Y (2)...

Bought a backup copy in November 2016 when the Amazon price went to $8, now it's back up near $30.
I spin this title way more than I expected I would, one of my best bargain surround surprises.

...Just built two new 18" sealed subs with tons of juice...
^^^
Killer.
In 1973 I got a Traynor bass guitar amp with a folded horn 18" Cerwin-Vega in 1973, driven by a 100 w tube head.
The whole rig weighed 170 pounds, never left the basement after I grew out of my 20s.
I used to patch it in as a sub back before there were x.1 mixes.

Finally sold it a couple years back to a working musician, too heavy and large to hang on to.
Make do with now with a 15" sub pair FC + RR of to complement a 15-12-15 L-C-R front wall.

...Some pipe organs have a low pedal with a 16 Hz fundamental. Any good recording of the Saint-Saens "organ" symphony #3 has a massive C minor chord that will shake your room right proper.
Yup. This is why 16 Hz has been my target F3, both at home and in the car, for many years now.

Back