Deep Bass in Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who are not so concerned with musical content, try Von Kessels - Requiem, and Rolf Enström - Quarks. These titles are more about sound than music, but are both flush with low frequencies. Both can be had for reasonable money too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001EK2B2/?tag=sacdinfocom-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TLZ4RY/?tag=sacdinfocom-20
Out of curiosity, I got hold of a used copy of Von Kessels Requiem. So far only had a chance to listen to the first couple of tracks. There is some serious bass in the second track "DC to 60 Hz ". It had to the whole house shaking. I can easily see how this could destroy a subwoofer if played loud. Music on this is not necessarily my cup of tea. More like ambient music, may be some similarities to Bass communion Pacific Codex type stuff.

You want deep bass try Still You Turn Me On by Emerson Lake And Palmer on the original DVD-A of Brain Salad Surgery.[at one point in the song I can feel the bass in the floor of my condo]........throw in Los Endos from the Genesis Seconds Out dvd.

Last edited:
There is 'deep bass' that comes from actually having considerable ultralow frequency content in the audio, .e.g. some synthesizer music, pipe organ....

But I posit that some (much?) 'deep bass' is just a perception that comes from mixers duplicating bass in the LFE and the mains/surrounds. And then all that bass gets summed into the subwoofer if you use bass management. IMO this is not how it should be. In a rational world, LFE would *only* be used for extraordinary loud/deep bass frequency content...not 'normal' bass. That's it's intended use in movie soundtracks -- LFE = 'low frequency effects'.

From memory I'd cite Steely Dan 'Two Against Nature' DVDA as an example of doubled bass, and the Jeff Beck 'Blow by Blow' (phase corrected) SACD as another. Or any disc that seems to have *vastly* more bass than other discs. If you play music as files instead of discs, it's easy to experience jarring differences in bass content as you quickly switch between 5.1 albums.

(Bass turns out to be a quite complex topic in surround music...as I'm discovering when I objectively compare the same mix released in DVDA, SACD, and DTS/AC3. Actual, measurable, potentially quite audible differences exist in the *bass* of those, and they are not related to lossiness vs lossy. Some day I'll start a thread on this, when I can get back to compiling data. It's potentially a huge thing, yet I've seen no discussion of it.)

You want deep bass try Still You Turn Me On by Emerson Lake And Palmer on the original DVD-A of Brain Salad Surgery.[at one point in the song I can feel the bass in the floor of my condo]
Oddly. there is no LFE channel on that track. It rips to 5.0

Well that was a 'thing' back then. The Dolby encoding included data instructions for rendering a stereo version from 5.1, so that --a guided downmix -- is what came out when you selected 'stereo'. There were some other DVDAs like that....IIRC 'Tigerlily' by Natalie Merchant

Arguably BSS simply did LFE 'right'. On tracks where there were no 'low frequency effects' , there's no LFE.

Bass guitar on that album's 5.1 DVDA mix is almost entirely in the center channel, btw. Fantastic for learning the parts. :>

Well that was a 'thing' back then. The Dolby encoding included data instructions for rendering a stereo version from 5.1, so that --a guided downmix -- is what came out when you selected 'stereo'. There were some other DVDAs like that....IIRC 'Tigerlily' by Natalie Merchant
Yep. Steely Dan Gaucho as well.

I was listening to Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum last night and it has a fair amount of deep bass. I thought it I should add it to the last. For that matter the Catalog Blu ray also has some serious deep bass as well.

Out of curiosity, I got hold of a used copy of Von Kessels Requiem. So far only had a chance to listen to the first couple of tracks. There is some serious bass in the second track "DC to 60 Hz ". It had to the whole house shaking. I can easily see how this could destroy a subwoofer if played loud. Music on this is not necessarily my cup of tea. More like ambient music, may be some similarities to Bass communion Pacific Codex type stuff.
kessels.JPG

Back