Def Leppard - Drastic Symphonies (BDA w/Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the BD version gets picked up by a US retailer as I wouldn't want to spend much over $20 for this even though I've seen Lep live a number of times going back to '83. Now if it was their early back catalog in surround, I may sing a different tune!

I respect that they're still doing new music, even if I haven't cared for any of their output in 35 years. But this is a joke and deserving of derision. If Animal is any indication, they used old vocal and guitar tracks and just replaced the drums (which have never been great, even before Rick lost his arm) and bass with symphonic bombast. I mean, they didn't even try basically. Screw that. Drastic indeed.

If they could somehow release Pyromania and Hysteria (and the single Me and My Wine) with those 80s drums replaced to sound more realistic, I'd buy that and wouldn't feel cheated. They're all triggered electronic sounds anyway. There are a ton of bands I'd do that for.

High N Dry remains their high water mark, IMHO.

I totally love the Drastic version of "Animal." It's completely different and yet still tied to the original with the vocals and guitar solo. Can't wait to hear it in Atmos!

(but then what do I know? I love every Def Leppard, including the ones from the last 35 years...)

Well I got in the pre order at SDE. It may soar with Eagles or it may mire in the muck but I'm in.

Let's see...what other UK artists used orchestral backing to great effect....hmmm Moody Blues? Sir Elton? Procol Harum?
+ Barclay James Harvest

My copy , from SDE , arrived today. Playing it now.

Now this old rocker has a liking for Rock mixed with an Orchestra.
I know for the purists it's sacrilegious.
But so far, I'm enjoying it.

Of course I should be out soaking up the UV's, a rare event this year but as I'm taking my future son-in-law to his footy match at midday, I thought time to blast me lugholes before I go.

I like the orchestral arrangements but some of the vocals seem to be overloaded and on the verge of distortion. I always found that the original albums were on the bright side and difficult to listen to and the orchestra helps to tone this down a bit but some of the vocals are capable of cutting glass. The ATMOS mix for the quieter bits is nice though.

Back