Def Leppard 'Pyromania' - Atmos version (4CD/Blu-Ray set with Giles Martin Dolby Atmos mix coming in April!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this via the fan forum...seemingly yet another missed opportunity for a physical or download-able release. Wondering who mixed it - Mr Wilson's mix of Diamond Star Halos was pretty memorable, so I'm wondering if the band were able to get him to mix this (obviously a very different proposition to spreading out the stems from their new album - this would be back to the source 2" tapes).

It would be good for IAA to approach them to establish interest / feasibility regarding download-able Atmos versions of their catalog. If Pyromania's been done then Hysteria has to be next...

Screenshot_20230119-143140~2.png

On another website I read that in October of last year it was mentioned on the radio that Giles Martin was working on an Atmos mix for this, so I would guess it was he who did it.

Definitely sounds like a Geils Martin mix, decent use of surrounds, could maybe be a touch more adventurous but I won't complain too much. Weirdly inconsistent with the volume though, I thought the Beatles mixes were like that because of their age or whatever but it seems like that is just how Geils does things. Like the lead guitar in Rock Rock at 1:20 is way louder than the original mix. That happens all thought the album. Anyway, I look forward to the eventual Hysteria release, but I think I would rather see it go back to Steven Wilson.

Pyromania's going physical, even if boxed on April 26:
https://store.defleppard.com/collec...ts/pyromania-super-deluxe-edition-4cd-blu-ray
1709054834242.png

Def Leppard’s 40 the anniversary re-issue of ‘Pyromania’ has been expanded as a 4CD deluxe package containing unheard demos & live shows from the era.

Originally released in 1983, the album sold over 10 million copies and earned Def Leppard a prestigious diamond award early in their historical careers. Pyromania launched the band into Rock Legend status, featuring global hit singles ‘Photograph’ and ‘Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop)’ and Rock of Ages. In tribute to this milestone, this deluxe edition has been executive produced by lead singer Joe Elliott and Ronan McHugh with mastering by Andy Pearce.

The package expansion includes a blu-ray containing an Atmos mix of the album (overseen by Giles Martin) and a book with rare photos by Ross Halfin and new interviews with band members.

TRACKLIST BLU-RAY: ATMOS / 5.1 / NEW STEREO / INSTRUMENTAL MIXES
  1. Rock Rock (Til You Drop)
  2. Photograph
  3. Stagefright
  4. Too Late for Love
  5. Die Hard the Hunter
  6. Foolin'
  7. Rock Of Ages
  8. Comin' Under Fire
  9. Action! Not Words
  10. Billy's Got a Gun

VIDEOS
  1. Photograph - Official Video
  2. Rock Of Ages - Official Video
  3. Foolin' - Official Video
  4. Too Late for Love - Official Video / Supersonic (Historia)
  5. Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop) - Official Video / Japanese Show (Historia)

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a Geils Martin mix, decent use of surrounds, could maybe be a touch more adventurous but I won't complain too much. Weirdly inconsistent with the volume though, I thought the Beatles mixes were like that because of their age or whatever but it seems like that is just how Geils does things. Like the lead guitar in Rock Rock at 1:20 is way louder than the original mix. That happens all thought the album. Anyway, I look forward to the eventual Hysteria release, but I think I would rather see it go back to Steven Wilson.
SW always wins vs GM.

Ordered. Don't want to wait and find it they only make 300 copies. lol. My fave DL album.
I doubt the number produced will be restrictive. This was a huge selling album from a very popular band. For a couple of years you couldn't turn on MTV without seeing a video from this album. I am sure they want to make a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

This has the potential to sell more copies than anything they've released in this century.

I doubt the number produced will be restrictive. This was a huge selling album from a very popular band. For a couple of years you couldn't turn on MTV without seeing a video from this album. I am sure they want to make a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Yeah zero chance there's 300 at $100 a pop. More likely many thousands.

This has the potential to sell more copies than anything they've released in this century.
That's what I thought about DSOTM. Yet first run sold out in hours. So...you know not going to take a chance with this one.

Should we read anything into the phrase that the Atmos mix was “overseen by Giles Martin” rather than mixed by Giles Martin?

I find it odd that Giles (to my knowledge) never made any public comments regarding the Atmos mix that was released on the streaming platforms. Also strange is that Tidal doesn’t list any immersive mix credit.

Could it be that the Atmos mix on the BD-A will be slightly different than the streaming release with Giles having made some modifications to the existing mix?

Could it be that the Atmos mix on the BD-A will be slightly different than the streaming release with Giles having made some modifications to the existing mix?
That would be nice! I would love for a solid immersive mix to give me a chance to get in to this record. At a reasonable cost...

Back