Definitive formats for all Titles ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure I see anything as negative here. Just a discussion of facts & personal preferences. Let's face it, if we would like the widespread population to embrace surround sound, it must come in a format that most already have capabilities to play.

The UNIVERSAL PLAYER was a godsend and as for personal preferences, if one format does sound better than others I suppose it comes down to individual MASTERINGS of said formats as they're all capable of superb Hi RES STEREO/MULTICHANNEL sound!

Why do you guys prefer BluRays? Is it the video?
My preference is for downloads (DSD or PCM) and I buy discs only to rip them. As a result, my preference order is the reverse of yours due to considerations of ripping ease and resolution.
P.S.: What are the "pitfalls" of SACD or DVD-A?

I like all MCH and prefer Blu-Ray over the others, they have a menu selection screen (DVD-Audio also) unlike Sacd discs. The last player I had that had menus on Sacd was my Yamaha 1800. When I changed players I put Toys in the Attic in and was shocked that the new one didn't utilize the menu selection screen 🤔. I find now that there are certain titles that are definitive ones to own and they're on different formats. If there would be an industry wide standard, Blu-Ray would be the one to maybe eventually spread to the masses.(I'd say DVD-Audio but along with Sacd you need a special player).

Indubitably!

Really, Kal?

See the source image

You should join my circle. We are all suitably prepared.

As I would expect from those in your circle...

I must say however, that the SACD format has produced several true gems in my collection. The Elton John releases easily come to mind. And the D-V effort in releasing the 70s material is noteworthy.

Last edited:
I like all MCH and prefer Blu-Ray over the others, they have a menu selection screen (DVD-Audio also) unlike Sacd discs.
I can understand that. However, since I play all formats from files. my menus are consistent across formats and they are configurable to my needs.
(I'd say DVD-Audio but along with Sacd you need a special player).
Unlike BD, of course.

Files vs physical media, I believe DVDs still outsell Blu-Ray's even though they've been available since 2003, 2006 PS3. I understand that the dawn of DVDs pissed off collectors with wall shelves full of VHS tapes. The same for later options, you have to start somewhere and not all are available as downloadable files. You have to have a collection of discs in a box in the closet after converting them to flac on your PC.

Thankfully we are now in an era where the delivery format is inconsequential for those with a bit of computer savvy. I was originally pro DVD-A because it should have been the only 5.1 audio format except for that CP break and Sony jumping into the fray, dividing the market (again) which only helped to kill it off - and then stupidly jumping off their own bandwagon and changing to DualDisc. Thankfully, SACD miraculously survived by being rescued by the smaller boutique labels in the US/UK and Far East. Once SACD joined the rippable ranks via sacd_extract, there was no longer a reason not to embrace the format.

AF's final output and DV, to me, have resurrected it for the non-classical/non-World Music market, so to me they get a lot of the credit for it's resurgence. So let's raise a toast to SACD, a true survivor against all odds - even after being dumped by it's creator!

Back