Definitive list of David Bowie in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jump They Say CD-R release. Woo have this! Stems are fantastic to play with - have stems for Ziggy Stardust, Moonage Daydream and Suffragette City on my PC. Great fun to listen to Woody on drums with Tevor on bass - alone.

Just found the Reality dualdisc buried in my piles of never played discs. Never even heard the album, in actuality it's pretty good. I like the 5.1 mix. Bet Blackstar would make a great 5.1 album

The Rears "as is" are beyond repair EB.. trust me, they're just an awful mess.. I'll let you know how I'm getting on with generating some half-decent Rear activity with the Involve unit or Spec or something but I can't see me even touching the files for a while.

Put that retail mix away. No use playing with it.

I've worked with the original stereo and SPEC plenty of times, and the results are quite good.

This is really one of the most incredible videos I have seen recently. Here's Tony Visconti breaking down the multitrack for "Heroes" (the song), and it's just so awe-inspiring! This makes me really hope that we'll get a 5.1 surround mix one day of this album and the other late 70s/early 80s albums that Visconti produced for Bowie. Enjoy! :)
[video=youtube;mp1iutsWnho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1iutsWnho&spfreload=10[/video]

This is really one of the most incredible videos I have seen recently. Here's Tony Visconti breaking down the multitrack for "Heroes" (the song), and it's just so awe-inspiring! This makes me really hope that we'll get a 5.1 surround mix one day of this album and the other late 70s/early 80s albums that Visconti produced for Bowie. Enjoy! :)
[video=youtube;mp1iutsWnho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1iutsWnho&spfreload=10[/video]

Ryan, totally agree.
I watched this a couple of weeks ago and my appreciation level went up 10 times as to how much skill and thought went into the making of this great song and what a great talent we lost when David Bowie passed away but he sure left an amazing legacy of albums and great songs with us to enjoy.
I am really hoping as well that the Berlin Trilogy of (Low,Heroes,Lodger) would make it out in 5.1 as they deserve it big time.

peter

I for one would hope for "Tony Visconti"to do the entire catalogue "TREATMENT" for Bowie.

:)
If ever an artist with such a diverse and unique selection of album styles cries out for surround it's DAVID BOWIE, I think.(y)

Such amazing discs throughout the 70's-all a must for collectors, just one example; Diamond Dogs, a natural for 5.1.

But also the rest of the 80's,90's, etc.Sure would be welcome.

"Oh Tony, where art though?"

I for one would hope for "Tony Visconti"to do the entire catalogue "TREATMENT" for Bowie.

:)
If ever an artist with such a diverse and unique selection of album styles cries out for surround it's DAVID BOWIE, I think.(y)

Such amazing discs throughout the 70's-all a must for collectors, just one example; Diamond Dogs, a natural for 5.1.

But also the rest of the 80's,90's, etc.Sure would be welcome.

Not likely, just because Bowie's mandate on surround mixes of his albums has always been that they should be mixed by the original production team. For Visconti, that would mean some early albums like "David Bowie" (aka "Space Oddity") and "The Man Who Sold The World" along with albums like "Low", "Heroes", "Lodger", and "Scary Monsters" from the late 70s & early 80s, and maybe "Diamond Dogs" too since Visconti originally mixed that album with Bowie producing it himself, but other than that, I don't think we can expect Visconti to mix any of Bowie's other albums in surround.

Hmmmmm.....makes you wonder how a Nile Rogers 5.1 mix of Let's Dance would sound.

As long as it's not as bad as Harry Maslin's surround mix for "Station to Station", I'll take it! ;)
(Actually, "Let's Dance" was mixed by both Nile Rogers and Bob Clearmountain, so I'm sure the two of them working together could create an unbelievable surround mix for that album!) :)

I don't believe it's quite as good as Heathen, but obviously your mileage varies here. It is leaps and bounds above S2S and Ziggy though.

Both are excellent. Ziggy isn't bad but not close to the level of YA and Heathen. Reality is a notch or two better than Ziggy. S2S isn't worth discussing mix wise.

Ziggy isn't as bad as Neil and a few others make it out to be...There is a dts-cd upmix of Earthling that is worth checking out too...

Ziggy, remixed by original engineer Ken Scott, is fantastically faithful to the sound and 'feel' of the original album, while expanding it to surround, which is exactly what I want a surround mix to do. It's certainly among the best Bowie remixes, to my ears, and one of the best surround remixes I've heard, full stop.

Ziggy, remixed by original engineer Ken Scott, is fantastically faithful to the sound and 'feel' of the original album, while expanding it to surround, which is exactly what I want a surround mix to do. It's certainly among the best Bowie remixes, to my ears, and one of the best surround remixes I've heard, full stop.

If you read the interview with Ken Scott, it notes he mixes each song separately and I think it is apparent. I noticed it before I read the interview. All the mixes are different and a bit uneven. Some have more going on in the rears than others. I disagree with adding an additional 3db to rears, as others here have mentioned, unless you do it on a song by song basis.

If you read the interview with Ken Scott, it notes he mixes each song separately and I think it is apparent.

You think Steven Wilson doesn't remix each song separately? It's pretty much what all mixing engineers do. Otherwise how do you end up with, say, a drum roll moving around the channels in one track, but not in another? Every song has different details to attend to.

Ziggy is an excellent remix, obviously done with great care and love by someone intimately familiar with the material.

You think Steven Wilson doesn't remix each song separately? It's pretty much what all mixing engineers do.

Ziggy is an excellent remix, obviously done with great care and love by someone intimately familiar with the material.

But the difference is SW keeps his overall vision throughout the album. He has a methodology. If you read the interview, Mr. Scott was doing his first multichannel mix and going by feel of each track. His words, "ping ponging" between tracks. Sorry, I could have worded my other post better. Did you read the interview?

I've read it in the past, but not recently. I've also read one where he talks about the original album mix.

'Going by feel of each track' seems like a good thing to do, to me, since albums often feature a variety of styles..Ziggy being such an album. At the same time, the remix sounds very unified to me as well, as the old 2ch mix does. It may have been his first MCH remix, but *the dude did the original mix*, and it shows. He crafted the 'overall vision' of the mix in the first place!

I've read it in the past, but not recently. I've also read one where he talks about the original album mix.

'Going by feel of each track' seems like a good thing to do, to me, since albums often feature a variety of styles..Ziggy being such an album. At the same time, the remix sounds very unified to me as well, as the old 2ch mix does. It may have been his first MCH remix, but *the dude did the original mix*, and it shows.

For me it doesn't seem as uniform from song to song in relation to how much info is coming from the rears. First thing I noticed after I listened to it. Then I read the interview and it made sense to me why that was. I like it much more than most going by the poll results.

Link to interview : http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/david-bowie-producer-ken-scott-on-mixing-in-5-1/

Btw by 'ping ponging' just means he didn't remix the songs in the same order as they appear on the album. The question was "Fair enough. Did you mix it in order, or ping-pong around from track to track?" , posed to him after he said he had no one 'standout' mix he likes from that project, he likes the whole thing.

Such 'ping ponging' isn't unusual even for 2channel mixing. Song order is a separate production/mastering decision from mixing.

Btw by 'ping ponging' just means he didn't remix the songs in the same order as they appear on the album. The question was "Fair enough. Did you mix it in order, or ping-pong around from track to track?" , posed to him after he said he had no one 'standout' mix he likes from that project, he likes the whole thing.

Such 'ping ponging' isn't unusual even for 2channel mixing. Song order is a separate production/mastering decision from mixing.

I know. Read my post. I used it in the proper context. I found it interesting he used that term. There is no ping ponging in relation to the sound.

You have yourself a Quasimodo Quad mix à la mode... :)
He prefers the apple pie/vanilla ice cream combo
Quasimodo_KH.png

Back