deMIX Pro is pretty damn good at vocal separations! Check this out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing with DeMix Pro too. I was so underwhelmed with the Atmos mix of Taxman I had a go at making a 5.1 upmix from the new stereo.
I used DeMix Pro and Spectralayers to extract the backing vocals, cowbell and shaker.
Here are a few snippets of the rear channels mixed to stereo

Attachments

• Sample 1.mp3
    1.3 MB
  • Sample 2.mp3
    728.6 KB
Last edited:
Here's a test of separation of acoustic guitars and strings from each other. Both MP3 snippets are extracted from an already extracted "other" stem.

View attachment 85986

View attachment 85987

If you listen carefully, you will detect minor artifacts of the strings still remaining in the acoustic guitars stem. I suspect that these won't be noticeable when reassembled into a full 5.1 mix.
if i could read your mind, i'd know what track that was! 🤣😘

more seriously, how beautiful are those strings.. wow.. ❤️

I've been playing with DeMix Pro too. I was so underwhelmed with the Atmos mix of Taxman I had a go at making a 5.1 upmix from the new stereo.
I used DeMix Pro and Spectralayer to extract the backing vocals, tambourine and shaker.
Here are a few snippets of the rear channels mixed to stereo
Needs more cowbell

Some of the multiple voices in these songs just don't want to separate and require an enormous number of hours using multiple separations followed by significant cutting and pasting...plus all sorts of trickery to get the distortion down to a reasonable level. Here is a snippet of XXXXXXX mixed down from 5.1 to MP3 stereo:

[DELETED]

Not impressed? You think there's distortion? Well here is the right channel of the 2009 CD remaster where the vocals used in the above mix were taken from. It's probably the dirtiest sounding track on the album. Distortion city:

[DELETED]

Last edited:
So instead of using recordings that are circa one million years B.C., I tried some separations with a more modern era (1987) track. DeMiX Pro created some really nice separations.

[DELETED]
[DELETED]
[DELETED]
[DELETED]

Plus, listen to the range on her voice. She's singing the lead, lower harmony and high harmony.

Last edited:
In an effort to change quad mixes to my liking, I have managed to get the excessive guitar reverb out of the quad of XXXXXXXX using DeMiX Pro separation techniques on the rear channels. The rears on the track are the culprits. Here are MP3 mixed-down samples of the original and the modified with much of the guitar reverb removed:

[DELETED]

[DELETED]

Last edited:
In an effort to change quad mixes to my liking, I have managed to get the excessive guitar reverb out of the quad of Reelin' In The Years using DeMiX Pro separation techniques on the rear channels. The rears on the track are the culprits. Here are MP3 mixed-down samples of the original and the modified with much of the guitar reverb removed:

View attachment 86213

View attachment 86214
Great, but what did you use to reduce the reverb once de-mixed?

Bette Midler's vocals on "The Divine Miss M" could use some de-reverbing IMO.

In an effort to change quad mixes to my liking, I have managed to get the excessive guitar reverb out of the quad of Reelin' In The Years using DeMiX Pro separation techniques on the rear channels. The rears on the track are the culprits. Here are MP3 mixed-down samples of the original and the modified with much of the guitar reverb removed:

View attachment 86213

View attachment 86214

Oooo-de-verb. I like it! Would love to hear the whole track sometime. (Or even the whole album.)

Great, but what did you use to reduce the reverb once de-mixed?

Bette Midler's vocals on "The Divine Miss M" could use some de-reverbing IMO.
Just lucky. When I separated out the electric guitars, the left channel had a section with just guitar reverb. I used that as a "noise profile" in Audacity and applied it to both the appropriate sections of the left and right channels. It was just enough to cut down the reverb.

In the sections where they sing, "XXXXXXXXX," the piano stem didn't separate that well. Some of the piano got left behind in the "other" stem but the missing notes are covered up by the vocals...like with those old wavematching variablend SQ decoders. Here are samples of just the rear channels...the first sample is the original quad and the second sample is the reworked version without the guitar reverb. See if you can detect the missing piano notes during the actual singing. There is also a bizarre artifact at about 28 seconds in that sounds like someone let a banshee loose.

[DELETED]

[DELETED]

Last edited:
Amazing! It's quite expensive. Probably I could start with demucs 4. I'm still disappointed about the missing BD in the Revolver Box. And I dont't have an Atmos capable streaming device to listen to the Revolver Atmos mix (is there one?!?!).
So, "homebrew" has to be done.

BTW: is there an de-mastering tool available as well? Would be helpful to getter sound of the new extremely over compressed Muse CD as one example. ( :eek: not meant very seriously :LOL: )

BTW: is there an de-mastering tool available as well? Would be helpful to getter sound of the new extremely over compressed Muse CD as one example. ( :eek: not meant very seriously :LOL: )

If you split the track up into the four basic stems (Bass, Drums, Other, Vocals) you will often find that the compression is embedded only in the drum track and you can compensate for that.

Regarding the de-Spectorized guitar in XXXXXXXXXX: The guitar now is very nice tonally, but it images to the left of center which spatially sounds just "wrong." I need to see if this can be fixed. Those extra Eliot Randall guitar flourishes did not separate that well in the front channels.

Last edited:
Izotope RX's "De-Reverb" feature might be better-suited to the task.
Probably a better way to go. Is there a fee version of Izotope RX out there? Or does anyone who has Izotope RX want to take a shot at this?

Regardless, the guitar is off center in the unmodified front channels and I need to try to fix that.

Probably a better way to go. Is there a fee version of Izotope RX out there? Or does anyone who has Izotope RX want to take a shot at this?

Regardless, the guitar is off center in the unmodified front channels and I need to try to fix that.
If no one comes along sooner, I may be able to try this closer to the end of the year or the first week of the new year. I’ve been using RX for years for voice work, but never the De-Reverb module. The computer and booth I work in is torn apart at the moment as I get ready to make some updates.

If you’re anxious to try it sooner (and no one else has it) I believe De-Reverb is part of the least expensive version and there’s a demo available. I’m not aware of any free version.

Back