DENON AVR-X2600H - Any thoughts?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have been kicking around this whole ATMOS thing. I still am not convinced and on the bandwagon, but it's in my nature to fall for shit like this! :)

Anyway, I got an email that Denon has dropped the price by $150 for this 2019 model receiver, and it might be a good way for me to segue into ATMOS without a huge investment. (I'll deal with the height speakers at a later date). My concerns are that I would be replacing the Denon 4311ci in my living room and that has a lot more wattage than the 2600, but I really don't want to spend $2K on a like-powered received at this point in the game. Been there, done that.

So, has anyone checked this thing out? Is it worthy of $650? Is going from 140W per channel to 95W a huge deal (I don't really crank it that loud anymore)
It seems to have everything covered.

Opinions? Better options?

AVR-X2600H (2019)

My question is how can it do Atmos if it's 7.1?
7.1 is the ear-level base mix for Atmos. Would you need additional amps to drive the heights later? In some ways, that's a great option. But adds expense and complexity.

I love my x6400H (11.1) and others here love their x4400H.

Yeah, I sorta just figured that out. Show's you how observant I am these days. I fell for the logo, not the spec's. :eek:

From the Denon site:
Immerse yourself in multi-dimensional audio with Dolby Atmos. Set up Dolby Atmos with a 5.2.2 surround sound speaker system using Dolby Atmos elevation speakers, or dedicated overhead speakers, for the ultimate home theater experience. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology provides immersive audio without height channels, creating virtual height effects in a 7.2, 5.2 or 2.2 speaker arrangement.

Yucky.

I agree. It appears that the best replacement for my 4311ci is probably the AVR-X6500H which has the whole boat, and can be had for around $1700 new. It's a big leap from $650, but you know what they say, "Do it right moron" :)

This is a bit above my "impulse purchase" threshold though. Might have to wait a bit.

Thanks for the info.

I agree. It appears that the best replacement for my 4311ci is probably the AVR-X6500H which has the whole boat, and can be had for around $1700 new. It's a big leap from $650, but you know what they say, "Do it right moron" :)

This is a bit above my "impulse purchase" threshold though. Might have to wait a bit.

Thanks for the info.
FWIW, I snagged my x6400H during an end of year purge and saved quite a lot. Memory is foggy, but I'm pretty frugal and couldn't resist.
And I reiterate: I love it!
Btw, IMHO, Auro-3D is just as important as Atmos. Some of my current favorite surround albums are encoded in Auro.

FWIW, I snagged my x6400H during an end of year purge and saved quite a lot. Memory is foggy, but I'm pretty frugal and couldn't resist.
And I reiterate: I love it!
Btw, IMHO, Auro-3D is just as important as Atmos. Some of my current favorite surround albums are encoded in Auro.

Maybe when the 6600 comes out the 6500 will find its way to an "end of year purge" as well. I'll be on the lookout!

Thanks for your input. (y)

Maybe when the 6600 comes out the 6500 will find its way to an "end of year purge" as well. I'll be on the lookout!

Thanks for your input. (y)
No reason to get a current model because it’s not offering any better features. If I were to upgrade from my Denon 4400, I would get a 6400.

No reason to get a current model because it’s not offering any better features. If I were to upgrade from my Denon 4400, I would get a 6400.

Good point. But like I said, I don't think I'll be making this move in this house. When I move (house too big, retiring soon, etc.), that's when I can think about stuff like height speakers. This whole fantasy started when I got that stupid email about the "great deal" on that little Denon.

But hey, it's Sunday, and it's hotter than hell. What else is there to do? :)

My question is how can it do Atmos if it's 7.1?
7.1 is the ear-level base mix for Atmos. Would you need additional amps to drive the heights later? In some ways, that's a great option. But adds expense and complexity.

Wouldn't "7.1" in an Atmos configuration really be "5.1.2" (standard 5.1 with two ceiling speakers).

Yeah, check out the post above where I pasted from the project page.
I guess that's officially Atmos?!?! Just 1/2 assing it, IMO, though.
I agree. Unless, you’re in a very small space. I started out with a 5.1.2 and I couldn’t tell much of a difference when I added two more speakers on the ceiling until I was in a larger room. Currently, I use a 5.1.4 speaker array in a small space just because I can. :love:

I too am curious about Atmos and would prefer trying a bit over say, $500 bucks model, if it can do the job.

But just how many surround titles (excluding movies) are there now to justify getting on a ladder and putting up 4 speakers?

Thanks for the info.
Okay how about now? You know you want to. We can see it in your eyes, it is time.

Jon, your current Denon will have better amplifiers than any of the current models. Have you considered buying a new Denon AVR with Atmos Decoder (e.g. 4400H) and using as a preamp to your old AVR like I’ve done in post below.

This will give you up to 11 amps for up to 7.1.4 using your old AVR to drive the main 5 speakers as it does now and new AVR to drive the rest:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...tmos-releases-so-far.26636/page-3#post-435635

Last edited:
Back