Denon AVR X3700H or Den AVR X4700H

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two notes on Audyssey for me:

1) It destroys the high end for my setup. Makes a mess of my Paradigm tweeters. It works a whole lot better if I filter Audyssey from working on frequencies over 1.5Khz.
2) It is pure bliss for my subs. Before Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, I constantly futzed with levels for my dual subs. What sounded right for one source just was not right for another.
Since implementing Audyssey it's set and forget, the lows and mids all sounds great and never a futz anymore.

I love Audyssey, but know it's limitations.
YMMV.
I have Audyssey room correction set at 500 Hz and below. It really should only be used for bass correction, or one can get anamolies like you’ve noted.

I recommend spending the $21 (or so) for the app to do room correction.

I'm looking at both of these now since new models have arrived and prices have dropped. My goal is to go full Atmos so these are logical choices to get there. If you're going to stay with 5.1 setup, the extra channel amps will sit idle. Why not consider the AVR-X2700 or perhaps the AVR-X2800 and save some dough?
Wouldn’t the bigger power supply (assuming it actually IS bigger) in the Atmos AVR provide more headroom if the unit is running in 5.1 with the other amps idle?

I have Audyssey room correction set at 500 Hz and below. It really should only be used for bass correction, or one can get anamolies like you’ve noted.

I recommend spending the $21 (or so) for the app to do room correction.
Thanks! I might try that, but the app only got a 2.9/5 review overall, but that their $200 computer app is much better. At the moment, I’ll trust my ears, but may try the app to compare!

Thanks! I might try that, but the app only got a 2.9/5 review overall, but that their $200 computer app is much better. At the moment, I’ll trust my ears, but may try the app to compare!
Most of those negative reviews were posted back when the Editor was first released.
It has improved greatly since then, I love it when run on my PC using Bluestacks emulation.
It's biggest negative is being restricted to a smartphone sized screen when doing curve adjustments.

Thank you Stokhead for kicking off this thread.

I am watching this with curiosity as I had a Denon AVR3312 (a relative has it now) and am currently with an Anthem MRX710 running 5.1; but eventually want to move to 5.1.4 Atmos. I am debating myself mainly between two completely different price point models – the Denon AVC-X3800H (RRP AUD$2999) and the Anthem MRX-1140 (RRP AUD$7699).

My experience with Audyssey on the AVR3312 (purchased ~2012) was OK initially. Then my subsequent experience with the Anthem and Anthem Room Correction (ARC) left me unimpressed with the sound from the Denon. The last time I configured the Denon from scratch – about two years ago in a 3m x 6m room – even the basic volume levels from the speakers were out of whack. I ended up fiddling manually with speaker volumes etc with the test tone and a few choice music tracks until I was happy. It was then good enough to demonstrate surround to people: but the (more expensive) Anthem setup still blew it away.

So anyway, I am watching with great curiosity to see how you all go with these new Denon units… the price point is hard to ignore; if it can be made to work! :)

Apologies for any errors in the attached; it's updated in rare moments when I have time... some release dates are approximations. I do not have external amps.

Attachments

• 2023-02-20 18_58_57-Start.png
    2023-02-20 18_58_57-Start.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
Most of those negative reviews were posted back when the Editor was first released.
It has improved greatly since then, I love it when run on my PC using Bluestacks emulation.
It's biggest negative is being restricted to a smartphone sized screen when doing curve adjustments.
I used the app on the phone, and it wasn't easy, but on my new Lenovo pad it's much easier to do the adjustments. :)

I am watching this with curiosity as I had a Denon AVR3312 (a relative has it now) and am currently with an Anthem MRX710 running 5.1; but eventually want to move to 5.1.4 Atmos. I am debating myself mainly between two completely different price point models – the Denon AVC-X3800H (RRP AUD$2999) and the Anthem MRX-1140 (RRP AUD$7699).

My experience with Audyssey on the AVR3312 (purchased ~2012) was OK initially. Then my subsequent experience with the Anthem and Anthem Room Correction (ARC) left me unimpressed with the sound from the Denon. The last time I configured the Denon from scratch – about two years ago in a 3m x 6m room – even the basic volume levels from the speakers were out of whack. I ended up fiddling manually with speaker volumes etc with the test tone and a few choice music tracks until I was happy. It was then good enough to demonstrate surround to people: but the (more expensive) Anthem setup still blew it away.

So anyway, I am watching with great curiosity to see how you all go with these new Denon units… the price point is hard to ignore; if it can be made to work! :)

Apologies for any errors in the attached; it's updated in rare moments when I have time... some release dates are approximations. I do not have external amps.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-ch-x-105-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.htmlI know it's the AVR and not the AVC

With the EQ in the receivers you can make a Yamaha sound like a Denon and vice versa. Denon is not as bright as Yamaha out of the box. Yamaha A2A gets the most use.

Wouldn’t the bigger power supply (assuming it actually IS bigger) in the Atmos AVR provide more headroom if the unit is running in 5.1 with the other amps idle?
Couldn't say either way for sure. Seems akin to taking the rear drive shaft out of an AWD vehicle - not utilized to intended design.

Last edited:
Back