Denon AVR X6400H - Question about default sound modes for surround input signals, such as 'Dolby TrueHD' and 'DTS Master Audio'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert Dagger

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I have recently purchased a new Denon AVR X6400H, as I was already familiar with the GUI of its little brother (the X2200W). My system is a 5.0, with no bi-amping and no 2nd and 3rd zones activated. The setup was done manually (amp mode, speaker setup, distances, levels, crossovers, etc.), as I don’t like having Audyssey or other forms of sound processing engaged.

Now, my question is about the default sound modes that my Denon receiver activates when signals like Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or DTS Master Audio 5.1 are passed as input. For instance:
- Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (input signal) >>> gets decoded as: TrueHD + Dolby Surround (this is the default sound mode for that input signal)
- DTS Master Audio 5.1 (input signal) >>> gets decoded as: DTS-Master Audio + Neural:X (again, this is the default sound mode for DTS Master Audio)

The manual seems to confirm that these above are the default sound modes for those input signals: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/EU/EN/GFNFSYwdnzswtk.php

What I am currently doing is to change those sound modes manually, in order to reflect the original sound source. Therefore, I am decoding Dolby TrueHD as Dolby True HD, DTS MA Audio as DTS MA Audio and so forth… I don’t seem to hear any audible difference though, but I am wondering why the guys at Denon decided to spoil the original input signals with extra processing (as default). With my system, it shouldn't make any difference, but maybe there's something that I'm missing here. Any technical/non-technical explanation would be appreciated :).

My first guess is that they are assuming you have a stereo source and so are processing it to get 5.0. They probably figure these defaults work for most cases and if you are smart enough to tell they are not correct, then you are smart enough to adjust the settings on your own.

My first guess is that they are assuming you have a stereo source and so are processing it to get 5.0. They probably figure these defaults work for most cases and if you are smart enough to tell they are not correct, then you are smart enough to adjust the settings on your own.
It seems to me the guys at Denon followed this logic: they probably designed this receiver assuming that customers would have a full 11-channel system. That's why the AVR is engaging - by default - upmixing sound modes to expand 5.1 and 7.1 sources (to the height speakers?). However, this sounds like total nonsense in my case, because my system is set up as 5.0 (with height speakers and surround back speakers that are set to 'None'). Mystery.

Anyway, it's easy to switch manually, making sure that DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD are decoded as such, with no extra processing. The AVR is also smart enough to remember these settings, thankfully!

Interesting topic, as I just bought one of these. I have a full 7.1.4 speaker array (once the rear heights are wired). My preference would be to hear mixes in their native/true decoding. Then choose upmixing to the heights if I feel like it.
Hopefully, I can figure out how to tell the receiver to do that...

Interesting topic, as I just bought one of these. I have a full 7.1.4 speaker array (once the rear heights are wired). My preference would be to hear mixes in their native/true decoding. Then choose upmixing to the heights if I feel like it.
Hopefully, I can figure out how to tell the receiver to do that...
It's very easy to switch manually. There are four coloured buttons on the remote to do that).
Here's the relevant page of the manual: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/EU/EN/GFNFSYlqlymuqz.php

I think you'll need to spend a bit of time setting up the whole receiver. I've been learning that what Denon considers the 'default' is generally not suitable for my needs.

I have the X6200. If you want to hear the soundtracks as recorded, especially as you don't engage Audyssey is to use the Pure Direct mode. This will give you the audio as recorded on the disc. Obviously if it's a 7.1 recording those extra two channels will be downmixed into 5.1 and in your case the .1 will also be downmixed. You must tell the unit that there is no sub woofer engaged.

Both Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X are superb at upmixing 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks to engage those speakers used in the Atmos domain.

I don’t engage Audyssey or any other sort of room correction. But I’m not a fan of the direct more or the pure direct mode. In that way, I’m only relying on the DAC of the source, whether that’s a Blu-Ray player or something else. I’d like to use the internal DAC of the receiver. So I’ve decided I’ll use stereo for stereo sources, DTS-Ma for DTS-Ma sources and so forth. I think I’m still hearing the tracks as recorded, considering there’s no room correction involved. I can also add that I’m rarely listening to the actual discs. Most of the times I use flac rips, and in that case the receiver would automatically engage the Multi channel mode, with no upmixing or other nasty stuff :)
After a few months with the X6400H, I can say I’m really loving this receiver. It’s so much better than my previous x2200w. And it pairs very well with the MA silver series. This even if I’m only using five speakers, it’s well worth the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
Back