HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - BLACK CELEBRATION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - BLACK CELEBRATION

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the UK release SACD. (y):phones(n)

R-995923-1198749432.jpeg.jpg

R-995923-1379441253-9780.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted a 7 on this one.
I have every SACD by Depeche Mode from "Black Celebration" up to "Playing The Angel" except for "Songs Of Faith & Devotion" which I heard was not a good mix and I was never able to acquire this disc.
I really like the music here and mix isn't bad but it's too bright and hard sounding for my ears.
C'mon.....two more votes to go!

I voted a 7 on this one.
I have every SACD by Depeche Mode from "Black Celebration" up to "Playing The Angel" except for "Songs Of Faith & Devotion" which I heard was not a good mix and I was never able to acquire this disc.
I really like the music here and mix isn't bad but it's too bright and hard sounding for my ears.
C'mon.....two more votes to go!

I've never heard the actual SACD, but have heard at least a DTS rip of every DM mix. The early period mixes are decent, and the middle period, such as SOFAD, are not very good at all. I don't feel whoever was doing these got the music right until the last two albums, for which I do love the retail 5.1 mixes.

I have not voted on this since I can't claim to have heard the actual SACD itself.

I've never heard the actual SACD, but have heard at least a DTS rip of every DM mix. The early period mixes are decent, and the middle period, such as SOFAD, are not very good at all. I don't feel whoever was doing these got the music right until the last two albums, for which I do love the retail 5.1 mixes.

I have not voted on this since I can't claim to have heard the actual SACD itself.

I can assure you that you've missed nothing by not hearing the SACD versions - the DTS-DVD discs simply sound far better.
They are not as - well, it's kinda hard to explain, really. I was going to say "harsh", but that's not really it - it's more than that & not quite that at the same time.
The DTS-DVD sounds warmer, more analogue-y - less abrasive than the SACD does.
Everyone I have ever done a version-for-version blind test (using "Ultra", but for no real reason other than it's the nearest one to hand) prefers the sound of the DTS-DVD over the SACD.
I think this is because of the ultrasonic crap in the DSD stream, and the better your gear, the more likely you will hear the difference.
I've posted this before, but here it is again. Have a good look at the 2 versions here and I think that with certain types of ADC (IE those that have poor filter design on the DAC stage) alias the ultrasonic crap that is a trademark of DSD down into the audible range - you can clearly see the noise shaping.
SACD-DTS_Comparisons.jpg

Last edited:
^ I'll have to check the DVD version out.
The only two that I played the DVD versions of were MFTM & Violator, and each of them only once for a short time but paid no attention to the sound quality.

I can assure you that you've missed nothing by not hearing the SACD versions - the DTS-DVD discs simply sound far better.
They are not as - well, it's kinda hard to explain, really. I was going to say "harsh", but that's not really it - it's more than that & not quite that at the same time.
The DTS-DVD sounds warmer, more analogue-y - less abrasive than the SACD does.
Everyone I have ever done a version-for-version blind test (using "Ultra", but for no real reason other than it's the nearest one to hand) prefers the sound of the DTS-DVD over the SACD.
I think this is because of the ultrasonic crap in the DSD stream, and the better your gear, the more likely you will hear the difference.
I've posted this before, but here it is again. Have a good look at the 2 versions here and I think that with certain types of ADC (IE those that have poor filter design on the DAC stage) alias the ultrasonic crap that is a trademark of DSD down into the audible range - you can clearly see the noise shaping.
View attachment 3457

I just received my Black Celebration sacd, and to my ears the sacd sounds much fuller than the DTS 5.1. The bass is especially more pronounced in the sacd versus the DTS 5.1.

But bottom line for DM fans is that you wind up chasing all their sacd's to complete the collection. To my untrained ears, the sacd's definitely sound better than either the DTS or DD 5.1 mixes.

Black Celebration and Music for the Masses are my 2 favorite DM sacd's.

I am using a Denon AVR 3310, Emotiva XPA-5 amp, HK DVD48 sacd/dvd-a player with Martin Logan Motion 4's all the way around, Motion 8 for center, and dual Emotiva Ultra 12's for LFE.

Last edited:
But bottom line for DM fans is that you wind up chasing all their sacd's to complete the collection. To my untrained ears, the sacd's definitely sound better than either the DTS or DD 5.1 mixes.

I actually don't think anything other than the past two albums are really worth chasing down any retail surround for, but that's just one Depeche Mode fan's opinion. :)

I have had like 4 copies of this on SACD and have sold them all cause , to me , the DTS sounds better(and I needed the $$$)...now I only have the DVD-V...
One of their darkest albums.
Awesome mix and Music....

A solid tenner...

Finally got this SACD+DVD set (I've had the US CD+DVD set for some time) and I absolutely loved the sacd. Sounds quite a bit fuller and a touch crisper. A very easy 10 on this one!

Back