HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - CONSTRUCTION TIME AGAIN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - CONSTRUCTION TIME AGAIN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the UK release SACD.

R-995855-1308596135.jpeg.jpg

R-995855-1203199493.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No-one has commented on this one? Lets fix that!!!

This is typical early DM... Poppy electronic stuff.... the mix (like Speak & Spell) is actually quite good. I like the hits, but don't listen to this one much...I tend to only put on Love, In Itself and Everything Counts...

I'm still trying to find this one for a good price, it's one of the few I don't have yet...

(along with the "silly money" ones like Violator and Black Celebration.)

I picked up the Violator SACD for £12 (< $20) just this week, so i would say do keep looking, these things can still be found out there in the wild at very good prices!

..unbelievably Violator is in near mint condition, too.

in fact, from the playing surface of both discs, it looks unplayed, though I haven't got round to giving it a spin yet.

definitely up there with my all-time high-res steals.

although I think my "Nightfly" DualDisc (new and sealed for £7..!) probably takes that prize, seeing as there's a new copy on Amazon UK for £200.05 right now..!! :D

FYI - You readily get CD/DVD combos (no SACD) of the DM titles new if you are not a cat repellent bigot.....

FYI - You readily get CD/DVD combos (no SACD) of the DM titles new if you are not a cat repellent bigot.....

Haha! You can still pick up the DM non-SACD DVDs here quite easily in places like HMV for about 20 quid.
It's just the SACDs that are all sold out here in the UK, which you have to stealthily hunt down by alternative means.

My dog doesn't have a problem with my SACDs, I wonder what frequency he can hear upto!? :D

Actually, I must just qualify my last post, as I had recently noticed one or two of the DM SACDs are still available from Amazon UK.

"Music for the Masses" seems to be one that is readily available. I wonder if that's a less popular title?
Surprising as it was a successful album back in the day.

Yeah, a couple are still easy to get new from Amazon (A Broken Frame is the other), and a few are only £15-£20 used.

I already have the DVD version of "Black Celebration" so I don't think I'll fork out for the SACD, but all things being equal I do prefer the ease of sticking the disc in the player and hitting "play" to get my multichannel fix.

Plus, it's lossless, and the collector in me wants them all in the original SACD pressings.

Also, I don't have a dog or a cat, and my fish don't seem over sensitive to DSD! ;)

Actually, I must just qualify my last post, as I had recently noticed one or two of the DM SACDs are still available from Amazon UK.

"Music for the Masses" seems to be one that is readily available. I wonder if that's a less popular title?
Surprising as it was a successful album back in the day.

One of my favorite albums of all time, but a disappointing mix. I bought it in a CUT OUT BIN at Virgin Megastore in NYC, so I'd say there were more than a few made.

Yeah, a couple are still easy to get new from Amazon (A Broken Frame is the other), and a few are only £15-£20 used.

I already have the DVD version of "Black Celebration" so I don't think I'll fork out for the SACD, but all things being equal I do prefer the ease of sticking the disc in the player and hitting "play" to get my multichannel fix.

Plus, it's lossless, and the collector in me wants them all in the original SACD pressings.

Also, I don't have a dog or a cat, and my fish don't seem over sensitive to DSD! ;)

it is miles easier to just plonk the SACDs of these in, plus the 5.1 mix on my copy of "Speak and Spell" would only playback the core DTS and not 24/96, as it said on the cover.. :( not an issue now as I gave it away!

haha! fish don't seem to have a problem with 'Deep Sea Discs', no! :D

One of my favorite albums of all time, but a disappointing mix. I bought it in a CUT OUT BIN at Virgin Megastore in NYC, so I'd say there were more than a few made.

I've hung onto Music for the Masses as I'm quite nostalgic about that era of DM but I agree, I don't remember it being up to much last time I played it in 5.1.

I guess more copies of certain DM albums were churned out at the time than others..

Can we try to get at least 2 more votes on this disc?
It's a great sounding disc and it deserves to be the in the Hi-Res poll, just like all of the other Depeche Mode SACDs. :)

Depeche Mode are a very important band to me and this particular album saw me really get in to them as the sentiments invoked by the tracks resonated with the teenager I was back then. This had the right level of musicality and teenage angst and it also satisfied the synth nerd in me with their heavy use of sampling and found sounds. To this day, this is one of those albums that truly transports me back to those formative years.

From a surround perspective, like the other albums in this series, this has been mixed with the right amount of flair and sympathy, opening up the songs and making use of the expanded soundfield. I've always found the SACD's in this series to be lighter on the bass end than other albums. I'm not sure if this is because I am so used to hearing the powerful bass in DM songs over the years but after a while, I don't notice it so much and in a way, I end up appreciating the content more because of it. Does that make sense?

Anyway, Like all the other DM discs, I give this a 10. This is how good hi-res multichannel reissues should be done. Good packaging, great content, superb sonics, amazing music.

Their next album, Some Great Reward has a particularly personal story behind it. Maybe I'll recount it in my review of that. But for now, I have to get back to work ;)

Some rare moments of time for my surround collection from DM..i habe all those CD/DVD reissues from their back catalog.

i like these electronical stuff which I heard back in the 80's AS a Teenager.

So these Album is clearly a winner in 5.1....a 10 from me

I recently revisited this one and really enjoyed it. For me, it's the start of a run of seven superb albums by Depeche Mode. The sound quality and mix are excellent on my system. Lots of cool stuff going on in the rear speakers.
As others have mentioned, the packaging and content on these reissues were top notch. It was a great value when they were released. I gave it a solid 9.

Back