HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - PLAYING THE ANGEL (SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - PLAYING THE ANGEL

• Total voters
Well, in the interests of nit-picking, you don't get DTS at any bitrate or sample rate on an SACD. That is for the DVD section.
Also, my copy says on the sleeve that it is DTS 96/24, DVDDecrypter says it is 48KHz (but that is because no further development has been done to it to allow it to identify a DTS 9624 stream so it can only "see" the Core stream). Pulling the bitstream off it will still give you the proper 96/24 one though.
AFAIK, it is certainly DTS 96/24 on the DVD.

Of course, I referred to the DVD that accompanies the SACD

all the remastered of Depeche Mode are in real dts 96/24, but PLAYING THE ANGEL is the only does not indicate that neither the receiver (onkyo 906) ofthe Power dvd (v. 8) the dts 96/24 mode.

only this title.

What can check?

pd: sorry for my english :(

I vote 9 for this SACD! I think Depeche Mode have done an exquisite job remastering all of their albums. The mix here is agressive, discrete and the music is just great. I prefer the SACD over DVD DTS version. By the way, I have the european version and the backcover states it is DTS 96/24 but my SACD player (Onkyo dv-sp502) and receiver (Yamaha, forgot the model) only detects DTS. Indeed all Depeche Mode Deluxe Editions (european versions) I have are detected as DTS 96/24 as stated in the back cover. I found the same problem with Bjork's Vespertine Dualdisc (included in the Surrounded Box Set), the backcover states DTS 96/24 but when you play it you'll only get plain DTS. I sent an e-mail to One Little Indian records to report this issue but never received an answer :confused:

I vote 9 for this SACD! I think Depeche Mode have done an exquisite job remastering all of their albums. The mix here is agressive, discrete and the music is just great. I prefer the SACD over DVD DTS version. By the way, I have the european version and the backcover states it is DTS 96/24 but my SACD player (Onkyo dv-sp502) and receiver (Yamaha, forgot the model) only detects DTS. Indeed all Depeche Mode Deluxe Editions (european versions) I have are detected as DTS 96/24 as stated in the back cover. I found the same problem with Bjork's Vespertine Dualdisc (included in the Surrounded Box Set), the backcover states DTS 96/24 but when you play it you'll only get plain DTS. I sent an e-mail to One Little Indian records to report this issue but never received an answer :confused:

That's right!!

the only cd Depeche Mode happens that :mad:

all the remastered of Depeche Mode are in real dts 96/24, but PLAYING THE ANGEL is the only does not indicate that neither the receiver (onkyo 906) ofthe Power dvd (v. 8) the dts 96/24 mode.

only this title.

What can check?

pd: sorry for my english :(

Don't worry about your English - you get yourself understood & that is what matters, right?

Anyway - I did confirm that you are correct. As far as I can tell, this is a 24/48 DTS stream (this is playing the bitstream through the DTS-HD StreamPlayer that tells me exactly what the rate is. It's 96/24 light stays firmly unlit.
Didn't pick up on the Bjork one (Vespertine) as I have the DVDA version & the DTS-DVD DualDisc just does not sound as good - never made it past track #1 on that one, what with the shockingly bad authoring & the poor sound quality (by comparison with the DVDA of course)

...Didn't pick up on the Bjork one (Vespertine) as I have the DVDA version & the DTS-DVD DualDisc just does not sound as good - never made it past track #1 on that one, what with the shockingly bad authoring & the poor sound quality (by comparison with the DVDA of course)

Well I'm a fan of this album so I have almost all the versions: cd limited edition, DVD-A, dualdisc (included in the box set surrounded) and SACD. I must say that SACD is over all of them in all ways: stereo and multichannel. You can hear Bjork's voice as if she was in front of you... the details are awesome, clear as cristal and very warmth sound. I highly recommend to grab this version if u liked the DVD-A one. The difference is very clear. (Sorry to be off the topic here :D)

I've just bought this, not yet listened.

However I got this in a Super Jewel case with both the SACD and DVD mounted on one centre spindle, is this the only packaging style for the SACD version of this?

My other DM's (I have six others) are packaged as Collectors Editions in a foldout with a slip case.

I belive there are a total of 11 releases with SACD, are there others packaged in a Super Jewel? Which are the albums not packaged in the "Collector Edition" style?

I've just bought this, not yet listened.

However I got this in a Super Jewel case with both the SACD and DVD mounted on one centre spindle, is this the only packaging style for the SACD version of this?

My other DM's (I have six others) are packaged as Collectors Editions in a foldout with a slip case.

I belive there are a total of 11 releases with SACD, are there others packaged in a Super Jewel? Which are the albums not packaged in the "Collector Edition" style?

101 SACD (live) & playing the angels SACD+DVD are not part of the same series. There are not collector's edition style.

That's how mine are as well. AFAIK all Depeche Mode SACD/DVD's have the slip case except this one. I don't have B.S. and I might be missing another one.

101 SACD (live) & playing the angels SACD+DVD are not part of the same series. There are not collector's edition style.

When I purchased I knew it was in a jewel case, however I was just wondering whether there was a Collectors Edition.

However I am now wondering WHY! Why do 9 from 11 - kinda odd don't you think.

When I purchased I knew it was in a jewel case, however I was just wondering whether there was a Collectors Edition.

Because it was a new album, not a reissue, and not part of the same series I guess.

What is B.S.? Do you mean B.C.?

Yes, B.C., got confused over title. It is however, BS that my order for B.C. SACD got canceled and money refunded a couple of years ago though despite being listed as in stock and ready to ship. :) The other title came through no problem from same seller. All seller's promptly inflated prices right then on eBay for Black Celebration. In such cases I'll buy something else and wait.

101 came out in 2003, the first DM album to come out in SACD.

Playing the Angels was the first studio album to come out as SACD+DVD. It was the 11th studio album. Then after a year or so first 10 studio albums came out as part of collector's edition series. These 10 were reissues of past albums. Makes sense?

Last edited:
I'd like to add that while I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion (and if someone thinks this Depeche Mode albums the biggest waste of plastic going then that's fine) what comes across as repeated threadcrapping just can't be right.. can it..!?

case in point, "Failed Muso" Rob had his first attempt at trading on QQ recently threadcrapped by keenly (who then to their credit did apologise for their remarks, albeit after Rob stood up for himself - admirably I may say) but by then it was too late, the damage was done and his thread got well and truly shat on and nothing came of his efforts to trade at all.

this forum/community could do with all the camaraderie it can muster, let's all stick together in a united front to get more surround music out there and not go around bollocksing up this good thing Jon U et al have got together here.

on a related note I know Jon would like the swap stuff part of QQ to see more action, so it's even more of a shame when it's not given a chance to grow by such goings on.

Very well spoken, fredblue. QQ forum has provided all the information and contacts for my collection to grow to the numbers it has. QQ is THE place for objective and subjective information on hidef music. I scratch my head why one would have the DM sacd, if one does like the music?!

The album as a whole may not be up there next to earlier releases, but I for one appreciate this sacd. And the price was very reasonable at the time I bought my copy.

I really wish Delta Machine was released as an SACD. It's such a superior album to this one.

Back