Depeche Mode: Some Great Reward & A Broken Frame at yourmusic.com

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallymae_hogsby

Bad News: YourMusic.com's per-CD price is now $6.99. :(

Good News: Depeche Mode's "Some Great Reward" and "A Broken Frame" are available there now. :)

Bad News: They're the CD+DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 version. :(

Good News: Unlike the $13.98 "Violator", they're selling at the single-disc price of just $6.99. :)

Indeed, I saw this yesterday and placed my order before heading off to work.

Today I get an email that says it has been backordered, but that happened last time when I ordered "Violator" through them. Eventually, I got it. So I'm not too worried. BTW, I don't even have a clue what's on these two albums musically. (At least I was mildly familiar w/Violator.) But at this price I figured I couldn't go wrong. Now... if they were charging for both the CD and the DVD then I don't think I'd get them. At least not through Yourmusic.com. Probably wouldn't buy them at all, really. But if I did decide to buy them I'd probably check CDWow or whomever and see if I can get the SACD version. But at $5.99 or $6.99 that's a fair price even if it does lack high-reolution.

Say... are there any so-called 'hit' songs on either of these albums? Are they old albums or newer albums like "Playing The Angel"?

some of their biggest hits and classics are on some great reward! people are people and master and servant were huge in the 80s, thats the songs that broke them big time in germany...blasphemous rumours was a single too and somebody is still a regular part of their liveset...

a broken frame on the other side has its moments but sounds fairly dated

Cool! I think I've heard "People are People". That's a good song.

It wouldn't surprise me if, perhaps, I recognized some of the others, too, once I give it a listen. All of the Depeche Mode 5.1 surround mixes I've heard so far have been pretty decent, so even if I don't recognize many songs it should still be fairly entertaining.

I signed up and ordered the two, too.

A few points about yourmusic:

1) The T&C's state CD's are $5.99, even though everything else on the site says $6.99.

2) They charge sales tax, at least for CAns.

3) The T&C's clearly state that 2 CD sets count as 2 separate CD orders, meaning 2 X $6.99. Each of the DM CD-DVD sets blurbs 2-CD set. But when you checkout (or add one to your queue, to get your "freebie") you'll only be charged for one.

4) The site looks scammy.

They want you to sign up before even giving you a clue what you're signing up for (you have to click separately for that). Lots of breathless appeals for surveys, tell-a-friend, etc. Limited selection, probably to mostly back-catalog lower-priced stuff.

Anyone seen any other 5.1 titles there, even DualDiscs? Couldn't find any.

No scam here. They are in process of raising prices from 5.99 to 6.99 so some of the site may not yet be updated. There are a few hirez 5.1s there. Do a album title search for SACD or Dualdisc and you'll see a few titles that may be of interest like some Clapton and Elton John.

I've been a member for 2 years. It's somehow connected with BMG music club seeing as how most of the discs will have the "Mfg by BMG" printed where the UPC should be. It seems to just be a variant on their old formua. With Yourmusic.com you essentially have to buy at least one a month via their 'membership fee'.

No doubt, though, it does look suspicious if they state the $6.99 in some spots while still using the $5.99 price in others. Add to that the inconsistency with which they price CD+DVD sets or 2-CD sets. (Occassionally, they don't charge for the 2nd disc in a set.) Mind you, it's fine by me when they just charge the single-disc price!

As long as yourmusic.com allows you to put an album in your queue, you can rest assured it will cost the same as a single disc. The queue is set up to only handle the $6.99 charge.

I had a bad feeling right from the start about this site, and have found out the hard way I was right.

They sent me two copies of Some Great Reward -- no Broken Frame.
There is no way to contact the company.
No email. No phone. No address. Just a stupid "comment" box.
They won't respond to any of my "comments".

In the post-customer-service hell that is 2007, this is the new reality.

well, just to cheer you up, things could have been worse: 2 copies of broken frame and no SGR....

but seriously, this is very annoying. cumstomer servixe is a rare thing indeed nowaday, also im quite pleased with amazon (germany) so far...

This is odd, I contacted them about a lost Dylan SACD (through the comment box) and they got back to me in a couple of days and then sent another disc that arrived fine.

well, just to cheer you up, things could have been worse: 2 copies of broken frame and no SGR....

but seriously, this is very annoying. cumstomer servixe is a rare thing indeed nowaday, also im quite pleased with amazon (germany) so far...

Yes, that cheered me up. [chuckles]

Amazon is the gold standard of online commerce.
I was one of their very first customers.

What competitors don't seem to understand is that AMZN's success came at a huge cost -- millions of $ in software development, and forgoing profits for years while constantly improving and tweaking. Of course every business would love to have a true internet biz (no bricks & mortar, no pesky CSR phone banks), but there's more to it than just walling out the customer and hoping he'll give up.

By the way, while I may come off as a yourmusic.com apologist, I have no idea what explains the continued discrepancy with the pricing other than incompetence. According to some folks on the SH.tv forum, they are still seeing $5.99 per disc AFTER clearing their caches while the rest of us are paying $6.99 (still reasonable IMHO). I was willing to give them a couple of weeks to make the switchover, but a month? Things that make you go hmmm....

Incompetence looks like a good bet to me.

If they can't be bothered to respond to their customers, why would they be losing sleep over a little thing like pricing accuracy?

Back