DVD/DTS Poll Depeche Mode - Sounds Of The Universe [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Depeche Mode - SOUNDS OF THE UNIVERSE

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Depeche Mode - Sounds Of The Universe(y)(n)

Attachments

• depeche_mode_sounds_of_the_universe_limited_edition_frontcover.jpg
    depeche_mode_sounds_of_the_universe_limited_edition_frontcover.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Picked this up at Best Buy today - $14.99 for the CD/DVD version (cover with the black background - white background is CD only).

I am happy to report that this is an excellent DTS 5.1 surround mix - discrete and artful use of the rears! A very wide soundstage. This title, as many of the DM releases, is very heavy on the use of synths, with the occasional guitar flourish here and there. The songs are solid and the overall production is consistently good. There are several extras on the DVD which I have yet to check out but include a "making of" documentary, a music video and 3 remixes.

A solid 9 (9.5 if it were an option)(y)

Haven't had a proper sit down to listen to this all the way through, but for a few tracks. In Chains and Wrong are definitely some of the strongest tracks on the album. The DTS 5.1 mixes are incredible. The use of surround is approproprately used subtly and not too obtrusve. The mixing is spot-on. The sound of each insturment (or synthesizer) comes through incredibly well. The album itself is only a little bland, a bit retro in a modern sort of twist. I think I need more time for it to grow on me, like Playing the Angel. I wish the accompanying documentary was a bit more in depth as were the series from the catalogue remasters. 9/10.

Just one listen also but was very impressed by the 5.1 mix, very active rears that go well with music. Didn't catch the DTS resolution (48/24 or 96??) but the quality is up there. The first song intro (In Chains) had me wondering if my system was having an electronic meltdown though....

Just one listen also but was very impressed by the 5.1 mix, very active rears that go well with music. Didn't catch the DTS resolution (48/24 or 96??) but the quality is up there. The first song intro (In Chains) had me wondering if my system was having an electronic meltdown though....

It's 48/24 unfortunately, when all of the remasters were 96/24 for DTS.

I give this one a solid 9. Superb use of the 5.1 mix and while it isn't Music For The Masses it is quite nice all around. So, a 10 for the surround mix and an 8 for the music gives it a 9. Keep these coming :)

Another 9 here too - although if I were reviewing the box set, that would have to be a solid 10 for the additional content.
We splashed on the box set version as well as a standard CD/DVD edition, and think it is well worth the money for the additional content (a full 2 extra CD's of alternative mixes, out-takes & demos, plus an 84-page hardback book of photos by Anton Corbijn (of "101" fame) and another 84-page hardback book of session pictures etc, plus other stuff too).
Seems that SW has possibly started something with Insurgentes?
Anyway - the opener gets the attention right enough, with a different test signal in each channel starting off with a sinewave then a sweep and then into chaos - the cats think it is all very odd indeed. The album is certainly more of a grower than some others but it definitely improves with each listening.
One big plus for me is that it has not been brutalized by bad mastering - the levels are sufficient but not overcooked leaving the dynamics intact (which is nice).
The DTS stream is 24/48 from what I can see - at least, this is what gets spat out of the DTS-HD Streamplayer in decode mode.

The surround mix & usage is nice - not overly aggressive but not underdone either. Some very nice placements & some good work here.
Well worth the purchase - and in closing I have to ask that if Mute Records can do surround like this, why can't the rest?

The surround mix & usage is nice - not overly aggressive but not underdone either. Some very nice placements & some good work here.
Well worth the purchase - and in closing I have to ask that if Mute Records can do surround like this, why can't the rest?

I don't have this one yet but I do have all of the other Mute/Rhino Depeche Mode surround releases except 101, either SACD or DVD-V, and I am really impressed. I don't know if Mute will continue to do this well or not, but whoever was responsible for this collection sure has my respect. I like the Depeche Mode surround discs as well or better than the Talking Heads DVD-A's overall. Of course the only relevant issue from Mute's perspective is how did this effort do in terms of profits and I sure don't have a clue. Artistic successes and financial disasters are commonplace for the surround music releases for the last 7 years and if Mute has discovered the solution, I hope it leaks out.

Chris

A solid 9.(y)

This seems to be the norm on this one.

Unlike some, I really like the music on this effort. It is kind of a throw back to the "Violator" days.

Nice even surround mix with handful of some surprise events throughout.:smokin

I don't have this one yet but I do have all of the other Mute/Rhino Depeche Mode surround releases except 101, either SACD or DVD-V, and I am really impressed. I don't know if Mute will continue to do this well or not, but whoever was responsible for this collection sure has my respect. I like the Depeche Mode surround discs as well or better than the Talking Heads DVD-A's overall. Of course the only relevant issue from Mute's perspective is how did this effort do in terms of profits and I sure don't have a clue. Artistic successes and financial disasters are commonplace for the surround music releases for the last 7 years and if Mute has discovered the solution, I hope it leaks out.

Chris
I posted this excellent article in another thread:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov07/articles/dm_surround.htm

From a content standpoint this is a strong album all the way through.
The surround mix is very good.
The rears are utilized throughout but rarely in an obstrusive manner (there were a few times I thought they were slightly loud).
Was tempted to give it a 9, but am dropping it down to an 8.
Because I find the sound a bit coarse and choose to blame on the use of dts.
This would have sounded better in higher rez DVD-A or SACD.

A very good mix. I think the band's output in surround is much better on the newer albums than on the CD/DVD reissues, which are all bad to average in sound. Both this and "Playing the Angel" are among my favorite retail 5.1 mixes.

-1 for being lossy.
Absolutely awesome mix, as with most of DM's 5.1 releases.
Besides, they REALLY know how to "suck you in" in the start of a disc....highly appreciated.

Sadly, this album marks Depeche Mode's move away from hi-res multi-channel output. The fact that it was their first studio album not to get and SACD version was one sign, the other being the lower than normal DTS bitrate. 2013's 'Delta Machine' will have the quite depressing tag of being their first studio album to omit a 5.1 mix, let alone something in hi-res, unless a special edition is released later on.

However, this is a very good DM album and musically the content is excellent and the 5.1 mix is well done, as usual. The 2 disc package is pretty basic, but the deluxe box set that features 4 discs, hardback books and other goodies is one of the nicest boxsets I've ever had.

Overall, this gets a 9 from me, dropping points for lower standards in terms of m/c hi-res but scoring more for musical quality and deluxe set content.

Sadly, this album marks Depeche Mode's move away from hi-res multi-channel output. The fact that it was their first studio album not to get and SACD version was one sign, the other being the lower than normal DTS bitrate. 2013's 'Delta Machine' will have the quite depressing tag of being their first studio album to omit a 5.1 mix, let alone something in hi-res, unless a special edition is released later on.

However, this is a very good DM album and musically the content is excellent and the 5.1 mix is well done, as usual. The 2 disc package is pretty basic, but the deluxe box set that features 4 discs, hardback books and other goodies is one of the nicest boxsets I've ever had.

Overall, this gets a 9 from me, dropping points for lower standards in terms of m/c hi-res but scoring more for musical quality and deluxe set content.

Just as an addendum to my post, we now know that Delta Machine was released as a hi-res 5.1 mix on Blu Ray as part of their Live in Berlin box set :)

Let's hope that 2017's "Spirit" album get the 5.1 treatment too.

Revisiting the 5.1 mix after a few years to see if my original impressions were the same. Yep, it was shite then and it's still shite now.

Don't get me wrong, this is my favorite Depeche Mode album. I know the Stereo Mix inside and out so I find the 5.1 Mix underwhelming every time I hear it. This is a rare case where I prefer the Stereo Mix.

I had voted 8 a few years ago but I've revised it to 5. The band had superb 5.1 releases with their SACD/DVD releases. It's a shame they could not offer a quality 5.1 Mix for this album and Delta Machine. As a song from the bonus tracks states: Oh well...

Brilliant songs and production but the 5.1 Mix is an utterly wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
Back