DVD/DTS Poll Depeche Mode - Violator [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Depeche Mode - VIOLATOR

• Total voters
Again, a superb mix here.
Depeche Mode sound seriously good in 5.1, and the overall impression is not of a reissue to make a quick buck, but instead a well thought out & executed mix.
Very aggressive.
Recommended.

Never a big fan of Depeche Mode "in their day" (they seem to be having a recent resurgence) - I have come to appreciate their music via these stunning reissues in 5.1. I have the import versions on SACD which also include a bonus DVD with the DTS/DD surround mixes. This music seems made for surround and is a perfect example of a 5.1 remix offering new insight to the music - remixed, by the way, by the original producers/engineers. Great deluxe packaging as well. The documentaries on the DVD also offer a unique glimpse into the band, time and place of the original recordings. A solid 9 for all of these releases. I am currently awaiting the next batch due 10/3 - "Songs of Faith and Devotion", "A Broken Frame", and "Some Great Reward" - imports via Mute (Hybrid SACD/DVD bonus w/DTS/DD5.1) and Domestic US release via Rhino (CD/DVD bonus w/DTS/DD5.1).

This one is another 9.
SUPERB MIX.
Not their best material , but always great (therefore -1).
Got this for 8 EUR new in the FNAC (a lot of the other ones too!)

Surround mix generally very good, but Enjoy The Silence and Policy of Truth appear to be processed surround.

Lyrical content getting too dark for me by now, and is where I get off the bus with Depeche Mode.

Had a weird issue with the DVD last night. Oppo Bdp-103 will play the bonus video and the dvd version of the album in stereo, but not the DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1.
I was too tired last night to troubleshoot. I'll try a restart. Hopefully I don't have a defective disc or some kind of encoding the Oppo can't read!

Interesting. Got distracted and walked away from the disc after starting the Oppo. Disc auto-played in 5.1. DD, however it does allow me to switch to DTS 5.1 with the audio button.
The audio button did not work last night once the stereo version was playing. Weird!

What Oppo & Firmware are we talking here?
Just checked it quickly on my 105 and the DTS stream accesses just fine from the options screen.
You are totally correct about the PCM though, and this seems to be caused by 2 separate VTS titles - one carries the PCM, the second carries AC3 & DTS.

BDP-103
BDP10X-80-1031
Same behavior today. I can click through to the DTS (DD) 5.1 tracklist and arrow up or down to various songs, but if I pick a song it just freezes and does nothing. Well, the cursor disappears. Huh. It started up after like 2 minutes. And it is DTS, which is what I picked.

Went with 8 on this. GREAT mix. A little brittle or harsh sounding, IMO.
No issues accessing the DTS tonight! Could be that I'm running an official firmware from OPPO and a hardware region unlock.
I'd LOVE to hear this in SACD to determine if there is a difference.
Still, better than any CD or LP I've heard.

This a GREAT surround mix of a band that was made to be in surround. I’ll be picking up as many of their releases as I can. This Kevin Paul guy should be getting more notice as one of the great surround engineers!

Tempted to give it an “8” because I agree with the poster who said there’s something up with “Enjoy the Silence” and “Policy of Truth”. Not sure if they are upmixes, but they do sound a bit squashed compared to the rest of the album.

But tempted to give it a “10” because my wife loves this album.

So it gets a “9”. :)

Last edited:
This a GREAT surround mix of a band that was made to be in surround. I’ll be picking up as many of their releases as I can. This Kevin Paul guy should be getting more notice as one of the great surround engineers!

All the DM Kevin Paul mixes are excellent and all are some of my favorite surround mixes. They're all available as SACD's also. They meticulously went back thru all the Masters which is part of the reason they sound so good. It was a real labor of love.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/remixing-depeche-mode-surround

Back