DIGITAL Derek And The Dominos - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs (40th Edition), Lead vocal FIX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is concerning the DVD-Video in the 40th anniversary box set. The Elliot Scheiner surround mix. I’m not talking about the surround mixes on the SACD in the box. That is a totally different mix (mixed by Mick Guzauski).

I searched the forum for the issue below, but couldn’t find any previous posts on the matter. I think it's an important fix, so here it is.

Most of us know that the mix is not so good. One of the big complaints is that the vocals are too deeply buried in the mix. I found that the center channel of all the songs on the DVD-Video is out-of-phase with the rest of the channels.

A simple “inverse phase” on the centerchannel only, fixes this issue and it completely changes the balance for the good. Not only for the lead vocals, but also for the bass guitar. In the picture (guitar intro Layla) you can clearly see that the center channel is out-of-phase. Channels from top to bottom (L, R, C, Sub, Ls en Rs). I also made some pictures of my DK-Audio surround meter. Before and after the fix. You can clearly see that the center is out-of-phase. This effects the ALL the tracks. The DTS and Dolby surround tracks from the DVD-Video.

Layla Out-of-phase center channel.png

IMG_7438.jpg

IMG_7445.jpg

Most agreed in fact that Schiener's mix was sympathetic to the original release. The abomination was the SACD which was done with zero sympathy to the original mix.

For the record I had no problems at all with the vocal levels

Yes, the vocal levels sound OK to me. The sound quality of all the releases is ragged, but that's how it was recorded.

Back