Derek & The Dominos ‘Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs’ Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MM, you weren't a fan of the Elliot Scheiner remix? Thought it sounded superb albeit in LOSSY DTS 5.1....especially in comparison to the early 00 tepid SACD remix!
Now this is interesting that we're seeing it again but without any digital media. I don't care for either the SACD or the DTS 5.1. The SACD mix is indeed tepid and the DTS 5.1 mix sounds harsh despite the great MC mix. I suspect that no one has found a way to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear from the multi-tracks.

Now this is interesting that we're seeing it again but without any digital media. I don't care for either the SACD or the DTS 5.1. The SACD mix is indeed tepid and the DTS 5.1 mix sounds harsh despite the great MC mix. I suspect that no one has found a way to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear from the multi-tracks.

I cannot divulge the source, but a fellow QQer made me an astounding DVD~A~R 5.1 from the DTS DVD and on my system it sounds like a bona fide MLP DVD~A 5.1. I sat there in AMAZEMENT.

Since I'm a computer geek [in the pejorative sense] I think he may have accessed the 'embedded' higher res 96/24 portion of that DTS encoded DVD because seriously, it's anything but shrill and is my go to version of the Clapton classic!

IMO, at the price point they were charging for that box set, a 192/24 BD~A 5.1 should've been included especially considering who remixed it: Elliot Scheiner!

Last edited:

I'd love to hear what Scheiner's mix sounded like unmastered. As you say, the sonics of this album were never great to begin with - but the 40th DVD sounds like it was normalized and given a boost in the high end. The cymbals and higher-pitched guitar lines (especially from around 2:00-3:00 in the title track) get to be pretty grating at high volume. I feel the same way to some degree about the mastering on Scheiner's Guns 'n' Roses 5.1 mix. I really wish there was a 'less is more' mentality when it comes to EQ/Compression on hard rock albums...

Say WHAT!!!!??? Sorry couldn't hear you!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Every once in awhile, we can ALL use a Waxing!

See the source image

I cannot divulge the source, but a fellow QQer made me an astounding DVD~A~R 5.1 from the DTS DVD and on my system it sounds like a bona fide MLP DVD~A 5.1. I sat there in AMAZEMENT.

Since I'm a computer geek [in the pejorative sense] I think he may have accessed the 'embedded' higher res 96/24 portion of that DTS encoded DVD because seriously, it's anything but shrill and is my go to version of the Clapton classic!

IMO, at the price point they were charging for that box set, a 192/24 BD~A 5.1 should've been included especially considering who remixed it: Elliot Scheiner!
I have the SACD and when the box set came out I didn't bother as I thought it was the same mix, more fool me, and its now a bit of a crazy price on Discogs!

I have the SACD and when the box set came out I didn't bother as I thought it was the same mix, more fool me, and its now a bit of a crazy price on Discogs!
Also, remember that some sets sustained damage in shipping because the discs weren't secured adequately. So it would be really sad to pay big money and get damaged goods. There are 4 CD's and 1 DVD in the set. Hmmmmmmmm, that equals 5 discs which violates @GOS Law.

Back