HiRez Poll Derek & the Dominos - LAYLA [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Derek & the Dominos - LAYLA

• Total voters
Seems to be a continuing issue for awhile now; but it does sound cleaner (less muddy/harsh) to my ears) -and I'm an old fart!

very true, its seemingly been an issue for 5.1 music for a long time.. the Winelight DVD-A compared to the SACD shows us to a greater or lesser extent pretty much "all along" somebody else has come along after the fact and buggered about in mastering with what may well have been a perfectly serviceable mix.

sometimes the tinkering felt invasive, every now and again arguably destructive and sometimes subtle enough not to have been noticeably detrimental.

in places i feel Elliot Scheiner's mix is the best of a bad bunch (i still don't think Mick Guzauski's is as bad as some folks make out but still..)

I've had the SACD for years--haven't listened to it in a long time as it was a big sonic disappointment to me. I would love to own the Scheiner mix one day, but alas, it is very expensive. One question for those who have that box set--does the DVD have only Scheiner's 5.1 mix on it, or is there also a high resolution stereo mix? I like having high res stereo for when I'm listening on headphones.

I'm going with a "6" on this one. Just barely in my recommended range. If you can get a good deal on it, there is some enjoyment to be had here.
Still, less than stellar fidelity, questionable mixing choices and some musical content that doesn't quite do it for me all cost this title some points.

I'm going with a "6" on this one. Just barely in my recommended range. If you can get a good deal on it, there is some enjoyment to be had here.
Still, less than stellar fidelity, questionable mixing choices and some musical content that doesn't quite do it for me all cost this title some points.
It seems that there are several 5.1 releases with a butchered mix on the song that enticed one to buy the album. On this SACD, it's Layla. Thank heavens for the ES mix in the big box set. T-Rex's Bang a Gong is a 5.1 track where the mixer ignored the surround channels until the last few notes; but at least it sounds good. There are other examples out there such as the initial 5.1 release of Roundabout.

It seems that there are several 5.1 releases with a butchered mix on the song that enticed one to buy the album. On this SACD, it's Layla. Thank heavens for the ES mix in the big box set. T-Rex's Bang a Gong is a 5.1 track where the mixer ignored the surround channels until the last few notes; but at least it sounds good. There are other examples out there such as the initial 5.1 release of Roundabout.

Music from Big Pink and Electric Ladyland come to mind...

Not much going on in the rears and what there is is lower in volume than the fronts so you have to really listen closely to hear them. Not as discrete as I would like. Would love to hear the ES mix but it’s out of my price range now. I give it a 7.

Back