HiRez Poll Derek & the Dominos - LAYLA [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Derek & the Dominos - LAYLA

• Total voters
This is such a killer album that had so much surround potential that I almost cried when I heard the SACD. An incredibly dull and lifeless surround mix, if you ask me. A very frustrated 5 here. :(

How sad that Cai never got to hear the new DVD release of the Elliot Scheiner mix. Who is the moron at UMG that decided this SACD mix was superior to the ES mix?

From the opening notes of "I Looked Away", the ES mix trounces this SACD. I originally voted a 7, but knowing what I know today, I should have voted around '5'.

Gave it a 1 knowing about the new release--makes this a waste. 5 otherwise.

Only listened to it because it was the only surround mix out there. I'll keep this for posterity only or to point out the difference between crap (SACD) and gold (Scheiner mix).

Still haven't heard the 5.1/DVD/A
Anyone want to sell just the DVD/A?
My offer is $50
The thought of paying $125 for Layla is a bit much
Besides, it's almost impossible to find on the Internet
Anyone know why?

Makes you wonder who was in charge of making the decision when the schenier mix got shelved for this 'modern' mix.

The SACD is out of print replaced by the equally now out of print DVD in teh very expensive box, and the record companies wonder why there is no demand for a product when they dont supply in formats at a resoable price.

David, your post from way back prompted me to listen to the stereo layer. The "20th Anniversary remix" has a yell by Bobby Whitlock a few seconds into "Keep On Growin." The stereo layer appears to be the original mix, with Carl Radle's bass predominantly on one channel and sans the yell.

You'll all wonder about me, but I gave the SACD an 8. The Scheiner mix absolutely blows this one away. I'd rate that mix a solid 10. Still, the SACD is not bad and the performances are stellar. I've owned 10 copies of Layla, currently own 6 copies, 4 different mixes. The Scheiner mix is the way I want to listen to Layla. Still, I will be playing the SACD occasionally for some variety.

Linda

Haven't picked this one up yet. Hoping to this evening. But just curious - has anyone bothered to check the stereo layer? Did they use the original stereo mix, or the remix done a few years ago for the 20th anniversary box set?

David, your post from way back prompted me to listen to the stereo layer. The "20th Anniversary remix" has a yell by Bobby Whitlock a few seconds into "Keep On Growin." The stereo layer appears to be the original mix, with Carl Radle's bass predominantly on one channel and sans the yell.

You'll all wonder about me, but I gave the SACD an 8. The Scheiner mix absolutely blows this one away. I'd rate that mix a solid 10. Still, the SACD is not bad and the performances are stellar. I've owned 10 copies of Layla, currently own 6 copies, 4 different mixes. The Scheiner mix is the way I want to listen to Layla. Still, I will be playing the SACD occasionally for some variety.

Linda

There are so many different mixes of "Layla" it's not funny!
I have a great bootleg 2CD set called "The Lost Radle Tapes" with no less than 5 separate studio mixes of Layla itself.
1 - Original Mix
2 - 20th Anniversary remix
3 - Crossroads remix
4 - MFSL remix
5 - Japanese single edit.

The crossroads one is interesting as the speed is blatantly slower & pitched down compared to the others. Their 2" tape machine was obviously slow (sticky tape??)
This really is a superb record, but the SACD just leaves me stone cold - okay, this was never an audiophile release by anybody's standards but still.

It's all down to my opinion that the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of the album is the superior surround mix.

I know it's been expressed plenty before, but I will again, just in case any record exec types are reading: it is a shame when a great mix is limited to a mega-ultra-super-duper-bitchin-deluxe box.
Relatively few people are going to be able to afford to partake. If I were the engineer or the artist I'd be kinda pissed. Who does musical or any kind of artistic work to not get heard or to not have the art enjoyed? :confused:

I know it's been expressed plenty before, but I will again, just in case any record exec types are reading: it is a shame when a great mix is limited to a mega-ultra-super-duper-bitchin-deluxe box.
Relatively few people are going to be able to afford to partake. If I were the engineer or the artist I'd be kinda pissed. Who does musical or any kind of artistic work to not get heard or to not have the art enjoyed? :confused:

I thought that one came out on a stand-alone Blu-ray Audio. Did it not?

Its more than a shame EB., it's a travesty.. still, Mr. Scheiner got paid for doing his job (I guess he did.. I HOPE he did!) and as the consummate professional that he is probably moved onto other projects where his incredible talents were appreciated and though disappointed put it behind him.

You know, I shudder to think how many surround mixes Elliot Scheiner has done over the years that remain unreleased to this day.. so, while I agree this policy of super duper bitchin mega sets is daylight robbery etc., at least someone had the sense to get this mix out at last! (Bill Levenson I suspect.. and I'd also hazard a guess he made the surround happen on other sets like Scheiner's unreleased surround mix of Clapton's 461 OB..).

Anyone who would give this disc anything less than a ten would probably boo Christ when he returns.

No disrespect to you seilerbird, but you have obviously never heard the Scheiner mix of this album (From the expensive and out of print box set). While the music itself is surely a 10, the SACD 5.1 mix is not. So for the original SACD and its' shitty 5.1 mix, I would never be ashamed of NOT voting a '10' for it. Never.

The ES 5.1 mix of "Layla" would be a perfect title for AF to release on SACD, but I'm sure some other label has already grabbed the EC's from the pool so it's not available.

I have 3 different releases of this , early vinyl , early cd and now this sacd and none of them are particularly good sounding ,
Sonics 6, content 7, mix 5

I have 3 different releases of this , early vinyl , early cd and now this sacd and none of them are particularly good sounding ,
Sonics 6, content 7, mix 5

wow there's been so many versions/variations of this (gotta be at least 4 mixes, from the original, to the 90's remix and Mr. Scheiner's and then Mick Guzauski's attempts to remix it in MultiCh) and yet its oft been sonic soft shite sieved through a sock.. just as well the music itself is utterly fantastic! phew! 😅🍾😍

Just gave it a "5"- always felt this recording was a very harsh sounding to begin with, but the unsatisfactory mix doesn't help it. This sounds awful to me.

If you love the album and can afford it, get the Scheiner DVD box. And I think credit should go to the DVD/Scheiner release for better mastering also, but I don't know who did that?

https://www.discogs.com/Derek-And-T...ongs-40th-Anniversary-Edition/release/4510654

Just gave it a "5"- always felt this recording was a very harsh sounding to begin with, but the unsatisfactory mix doesn't help it. This sounds awful to me.

If you love the album and can afford it, get the Scheiner DVD box. And I think credit should go to the DVD/Scheiner release for better mastering also, but I don't know who did that?

https://www.discogs.com/Derek-And-T...ongs-40th-Anniversary-Edition/release/4510654

just imagine how good Scheiner's 5.1 would have sounded without compressed Fronts.. 🤩

Back