HiRez Poll Derringer, Rick - ALL AMERICAN BOY & SPRING FEVER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Rick Derringer - ALL AMERICAN BOY & SPRING FEVER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Thanks for the clarifications by both fredblue and ubertrout.
It’s not uncommon for me to be “slow on the uptake “ when it comes to humour.
It’s not a British thing, that’s my background too.
I see what ubertrout means, it has been an odd but interesting set of releases thus far
Just because I didn't enjoy everything doesn't mean I'm criticizing the overall program, which I'm very much in favor of. Even the MOR releases I really didn't care for I was thrilled to see getting a release.

And I agree, you don't have to be there, but some things just feel dated encountering them decades later, while others have realm charm that shines through. And that's how I felt about this release. And of course, whether charm shines through is a personal criterion, not an absolute one.

Just because I didn't enjoy everything doesn't mean I'm criticizing the overall program, which I'm very much in favor of. Even the MOR releases I really didn't care for I was thrilled to see getting a release.

And I agree, you don't have to be there, but some things just feel dated encountering them decades later, while others have realm charm that shines through. And that's how I felt about this release. And of course, whether charm shines through is a personal criterion, not an absolute one.

of course, i totally get where you're coming from (y)
I won't lie, a number of the MOR releases don't do as much for me as the bulk of the Rockier/Popppier/Jazzier/R&B'er stuff.. but the surround on some of them, the Hugo M and Henry M Quads, the Swingle Singers, Michel Legrand's 20 Songs Of The Century included.. dynamite mixes that drew me into the material (in a few cases almost whether i liked it or not! o_O )

[QUOTE="fredblue, post: 392321, member: 4041
i may be wrong but Mr. Dutton or someone who has the man's ear must've been reading at least one or two of our mad ramblings at QQ the last few years.. so far he has tackled Quads I found, fell in love with (some artists I admittedly already knew) and subsequently spouted on about on QQ thanks to that Quad time machine otherwise known as the Surround Master! Quads like; Seven, Cantamos, Eargasm, Tale Spinnin', War Of The Gods, Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, All American Boy, Pure Music, Musicmagic... ohh.. just heaven.. and now all that surround music joy is here to lap up, free from its SQ shackles, in discrete multichannel master tape quality, for next to no money! ohh.. i need a lie down! its all too much!! :51QQ:QQlove[/QUOTE]
oh HELL YEAH!!! you can bet your SWEET BIPPIE THAT MR. DUTTON IS A BIG FAN OF THIS GREAT WEBSITE!!!! (Thanks, Jon!!!)

i may be wrong but Mr. Dutton or someone who has the man's ear must've been reading at least one or two of our mad ramblings at QQ the last few years.. so far he has tackled Quads I found, fell in love with (some artists I admittedly already knew) and subsequently spouted on about on QQ thanks to that Quad time machine otherwise known as the Surround Master! Quads like; Seven, Cantamos, Eargasm, Tale Spinnin', War Of The Gods, Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, All American Boy, Pure Music, Musicmagic... ohh.. just heaven.. and now all that surround music joy is here to lap up, free from its SQ shackles, in discrete multichannel master tape quality, for next to no money!

No shit! Eargasm is one I've mentioned dozens of times, or both Johnnie Taylors and then BAM! here it is! :eek: My credit card came out so quick, my wallet caught fire!

i may be wrong but Mr. Dutton or someone who has the man's ear must've been reading at least one or two of our mad ramblings at QQ the last few years.. so far he has tackled Quads I found, fell in love with (some artists I admittedly already knew) and subsequently spouted on about on QQ thanks to that Quad time machine otherwise known as the Surround Master! Quads like; Seven, Cantamos, Eargasm, Tale Spinnin', War Of The Gods, Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, All American Boy, Pure Music, Musicmagic... ohh.. just heaven.. and now all that surround music joy is here to lap up, free from its SQ shackles, in discrete multichannel master tape quality, for next to no money! ohh.. i need a lie down! its all too much!! [/QUOTE]

I wish folks would not say things like this, because it makes the companies raise the prices, and makes it so I can afford fewer of the releases.

It happened with the Audio Technica 440MLa cartridge, with people saying it performs twice it's price. It went from $79.99 to $120.00, and then up to $270.00, and then the discontinued it while is was selling good and replaced it with another $300.00 cartridge. Folks were saying they would gladly pay much more for the cart, and now they do, they got their wish.

i may be wrong but Mr. Dutton or someone who has the man's ear must've been reading at least one or two of our mad ramblings at QQ the last few years.. so far he has tackled Quads I found, fell in love with (some artists I admittedly already knew) and subsequently spouted on about on QQ thanks to that Quad time machine otherwise known as the Surround Master! Quads like; Seven, Cantamos, Eargasm, Tale Spinnin', War Of The Gods, Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, All American Boy, Pure Music, Musicmagic... ohh.. just heaven.. and now all that surround music joy is here to lap up, free from its SQ shackles, in discrete multichannel master tape quality, for next to no money! ohh.. i need a lie down! its all too much!!

quicksrt said:
I wish folks would not say things like this, because it makes the companies raise the prices, and makes it so I can afford fewer of the releases.

It happened with the Audio Technica 440MLa cartridge, with people saying it performs twice it's price. It went from $79.99 to $120.00, and then up to $270.00, and then the discontinued it while is was selling good and replaced it with another $300.00 cartridge. Folks were saying they would gladly pay much more for the cart, and now they do, they got their wish.

i take on board what you're saying but lets not get things out of perspective.. in other words, Frankie says.. "Relax!" :p

on balance, DV already put the prices up a couple of quid on their SACDs last year before anybody started raving about them online, regardless of the small increase the world kept on spinning and the discs kept on selling. I'm sure DV aren't a bunch of gougers and believe that the minor price hike was likely to cover something necessary like added overhead rather than fuelled by greed instigated by the exuberant witterings of some pleb (like me!) on a forum.

Or maybe not and an £11.99 disc will be £19.99 by January. If they do that they'll sell a lot lot less (not just to the Quad guys who have recently started buying their product but to their existing customer base who've kept them in business the last 20 years).. and I bet they know that only too well.. they've proven themselves to be a very canny, savvy label so far and have acted upon criticisms wrt shipping, feedback wrt things like future title suggestions, etc. commendable company imho. (*)

(* though they did fall into one tiny Quad trap with the storm in a teacup over the decode of Airto Live.. i'd have advised them to have left it out altogether and just issue Fingers on its own.. but to me its a minor misstep and in all other respects every move they've made has been the right one, the albums chosen for release continue to surprise and excite and for me the releases just keep getting better and better.)

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the £9-99 price was a new release offer at the time and the usual price was £11.99.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the £9-99 price was a new release offer at the time and the usual price was £11.99.

you've probably got that right!
tbh i wasn't paying much attention, I just recall they "went up" from the Tower Of Power at £9.99 to the next batch when they were priced £11.99 but that may have been a special introductory price or something, as you say.

now i can't speak for anybody else here naturally but a tenner doesn't go very far at all in my life these days.. and so many surround releases cost way more than the DV stuff.. to me these things are still cheap at £11.99 and represent good value..
it's really a non-issue imho.. and uh oh we're wildly OT now in a Poll about the wonderful Derringer 2-fer! sorry Mods and rockers! :giggle:

isn't it a beautiful thing about music, we all have such different responses to it.

when i first picked up the record, with its title "All American Boy" (as opposed to something like; "Life and Times of the American Man"..) with its colourful cartoon-esque cover and song titles like "Teenage Love Affair", "Joy Ride" and "Uncomplicated", I wasn't expecting deep lyrical themes or anything too musically profound.

what i experienced was a diverse poppy rocky album full of energy, not a great deal of depth but a lot of heart, with a nigh-on virtuoso guitar player giving it all he's got at its core. the ballads have soul, the rockers have purpose and the instrumentals have momentum - and its all couched in a Quad mix that to me is 'to die for'.

now transferred to Surround SACD from the 4-channel master tapes in tip-top quality, even without the inclusion of the inconsistent "Spring Fever" Quad, this release would still to me be a QQ Poll "10". thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Rockin' Ronan Hoochie Koo
Hopefully everyone can see this

:love:
such great taste that lad! its amazing the lasting effect of this album, everyone i've played it or recommended it to over the years has loved it!

"..i hope you all know what i'm talking about,
the way they wiggle that thing really knocks me out...!!"

:LB

Last edited:
Back