Dual Disc Destiny's Child - Destiny Fulfilled DualDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was surprised today at the Best Buy. A whole slew of DualDiscs including this one from Destiny's Child.

The DVD side has a PCM track for stereo (48/16) and a beautiful 5.1 Dolby Digital track mixed by our own ThomC. Totally excellent and semi-agressive mix with background vocals and lots of sounds coming from the rears. Beautiful full bass and crystal clear sonics. My fave tracks so far are Lose My Breath, Cater 2 U, and Love. Also includes an interview and 2 videos (in Stereo only). Plays great both at home in the DVD player and in the car cd player. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
timbre4 said:
Snuck that one by me; CD Universe doesn't show it yet. So you find the DD 5.1 track more than acceptable?

I think the DD5.1 sounds excellent. After listening a bit further I would say that the mix is not quite as agressive as I first heard, however, it is a truly effective mix bringing out lots of the sonic elements and showing off the beautiful background harmonies. I really love this disc so far and I never was a huge DC fan. Nice job Thom!!

I'll have to check this one out. Sony sent me a few DualDiscs to look at but unfortunately this wasn't one of them. I was hoping for it and Switchfoot but got Miles, Bowie, Los Loney, and Mercy Me instead. I already had AC/DC so no biggie there. I wanted Velvet Revolver until I saw no 5.1 mix. Sony is just killing me in the audio world. First SA-CD instead of DVD-A and now DD on DualDisc only.

Kris,

Is the AC/DC the exact same thing (package, content) as the original "test market" DualDisc?

:-jon

I picked up the Switchfoot DD and while the disc is a decent musically the surround mix is disappointing. It seems very inconsistent in its mix also Dolby Digital doesn't lend itself well to compressing this hard rock type music. The fidelity while not horrible is somewhat less then the CD side only with a mediocre surround mix added in. Overall very disappointed with Sony's Dual Disc Efforts.

Bob,
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like it.
Tried to stay musically and sonically as faithful as I could to the original CD,
while still making it surround.
These tracks are very minimalist to begin with, (lots of loops, samples...), and are
really all about the vocal arrangements, so thats what I went for in spreading things around.
Love to hear other's input on this one.
Especially compared to the other 5.1 discs out by them and other R&B acts.
Interesting that the stereo is 48/16 PCM because the mastering engineer definitely delivered 48/24 to authoring.
Need to check on this.

More titles coming in 5.1 that are 'official',and I am comfortable saying will be coming out include:
Omarion, John Legend, Crossfade, Mudvayne, Lamb Of God, Nellie McKay,
plus some others still being worked on, finalized, being approved by artists.....

Sorry, don't know or care what the delivery format is, any more than whether
a stereo mix is for CD, cassette, vinyl, mp3....As long as it is encoded/pressed right.

Regarding the hard rock sonics, it is not the encoding that is the problem.
Mainly it has to do with pulling apart the instruments that were intended to layer
on top of each other. This density of sound is intrinsic to many hard rock records.
Pulling these sounds apart to create rewarding 5.1 while still maintaining the sonics
and musicality of these records is no easy task.
Struggled with this quite a bit on the Mudvayne and Crossfade discs.
Hopefully people will like what came of them.

I picked up "Destiny Fulfilled" last night at Fry's for the sale price of $9.99 plus sales tax. Sale ends February 15, 2005. I find listening to the "music" challenging. At least my DVD player did not catch on fire when I played it.

ThomC said:
More titles coming in 5.1 that are 'official',and I am comfortable saying will be coming out include:
Omarion, John Legend, Crossfade, Mudvayne, Lamb Of God, Nellie McKay,
plus some others still being worked on, finalized, being approved by artists.

John Legend too, huh? That should be interesting. In a way, it's similar to Destiny's Child in that you have a lot of the vocals, but also the music for those who like the production of Kanye West.

The surround mix makes good use of the surround channels. This is a well produced and thoughtful surround mix. I am still having trouble warming up to the music.

tcdriver said:
I am still having trouble warming up to the music.

"Lose My Breath" is not too bad, but in terms of talking about the status ain't hood and not checkin' for 'em, Black Sabbath did a better job with "Country Girl".
dio-face.gif

that is strange. my dualdisc that arrives today from amazon marketplace has no DD 5.1 soundtrack, onyl enhanced stereo!

there are 7 music videos, though...

Ha, I did that too - bought the #1s first then got the right one. Don't care for either one of them.

ThomC,

This is one of the few DD5.1 tracks I actually like. Being familiar with the stereo versions of the songs, I was quite impressed with what DD5.1 can achieve.
And, yes, I love the vocal separation.

Back