• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Devin Townsend 5.1 Blu-ray

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
All right, first brief listen. I'm only going to make it through a couple songs for now, and will explore it more later tonight, or this week.

First impressions... Wow... The sound is MASSIVE. Wish I had a sub, as I'm sure this would give it a serious workout. It's not extremely discreet in the surrounds, but it's certainly more than audience and some echo. While there's a lot of reverb present in the rears speakers, there's also a lot of drum presence, too. The drum kit seems quite spread in the sound field. It actually sounds very enveloping. Vocals seem to be mostly anchored in the center channel. While I was hoping for a more adventurous surround mix, it seems very fitting for a live performance. It does sound very good. Excellent sound quality, performance, and image quality.

Did I mention the sound is massive?

Nimbatus

I also think it's superb sounding, even though the guitars are sometimes a little too low in the mix for my taste, while the drums are on the louder side. But it sounds very dynamic and the surrounds are opening up the stereo field in a nice way, giving the the mix some dimensionality while not being used in a super discrete way. But it serves this live mix very well and it sounds indeed absolutely massive!

The picture quality is also mostly on the positive side and the bit rate is high enough to avoid obvious compression problems. Add a fantastic show and performance to the menu and you got one of the most impressive live shows I've ever seen. This release is highly recommended!

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I also got email saying mine shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And....it arrived today. I have to come clean. I have NO clue who Devin Townsend is.......why don't I know him? Played about 4 songs and holy shit.....that dude can sing. This is a super good concert, I'd say sound quality is slightly above average........I mean.....it's not very "surroundy"....but I honestly think this just needs to be flat out cranked up to appreciate.

For me, I'd say, I'm instantly a fan. :)

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
And....it arrived today. I have to come clean. I have NO clue who Devin Townsend is.......why don't I know him? Played about 4 songs and holy shit.....that dude can sing. This is a super good concert, I'd say sound quality is slightly above average........I mean.....it's not very "surroundy"....but I honestly think this just needs to be flat out cranked up to appreciate.

For me, I'd say, I'm instantly a fan. :)
Hmmm, I'm assuming Strapping Young Lad probably won't ring a bell either, eh? :) DT got his big break on Steve Vai's album Sex and Relgion in the early 90s. He then went on to SYL, which made a very large impact in the metal community throughout the 90s, and then on to his own solo career. He's never had any major "mainstream" success, but he's developed a very large, devoted following.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it GOS! And yeah, he's an incredible vocalist, and this video demonstrates his vocal range of over five octaves (C2-F7)

bluelightning

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hmmm, I'm assuming Strapping Young Lad probably won't ring a bell either, eh? :) DT got his big break on Steve Vai's album Sex and Relgion in the early 90s. He then went on to SYL, which made a very large impact in the metal community throughout the 90s, and then on to his own solo career. He's never had any major "mainstream" success, but he's developed a very large, devoted following.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it GOS! And yeah, he's an incredible vocalist, and this video demonstrates his vocal range of over five octaves (C2-F7)

He is also a very talented guitarist.

peterzach

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
HUGE, GOS, HUGE :) I watched a little more last night. It's excellent, although I had to keep the volume pretty low :cry: Anybody else watch this yet??
You convinced me, order placed on this one as well.
I used to meet and talk the drummer from time to time at a and b sound in Burnaby as he was just starting out being Devin's go to drummer after SLL.
I think Devin T. doesn't live to far from where I live either, small world sometimes.

PK

600 Club - QQ All-Star