Devin Townsend - Empath 5.1 BluRay + CD Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Dev "tweeted"(why does it make me cringe so much to say "tweeted"?) this recently regarding his upcoming album:

"Art is coming along nicely, doing a 5.1 mix as well as a visual counterpart for some great bonus material. Photos turned out really well I think. May start a video ahead of time to coincide with release"

I edited the previous post to remove the ridiculously LARGE screen shot upload of DT's twitter feed. Didn't realize it was so obnoxiously huge... Sorry! Apparently I suck at uploading photos to the new forum :LOL:

Last edited:
There was also this that came out where he mentions the 5.1 as well:

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcom...d-provides-lengthy-update-on-new-album-empath

“Speaking of video, I have been working closely with an animator to produce a bonus disk for Empath that includes a narrative as well as a full 5.1 mix of the album. Empath works with peaks and valleys, and I believe with this visual, it can be an extremely immersive experience for people. "

So hoping Devin focuses on giving a good immersive 5.1 mix as well as seems to refer to the visual more than the music in this quote.
He does have Mike Keneally as one of guest musician and Mike's one solo 5.1 sure was well done.

There were these tweets as well from Devin about 5.1:

Nov.19
Finished the tweaks with Keneally, all guest performances in the bag, orchestra almost finished, art in looking good, leaving for the uk in a week and a half for mix, then home to mix the 5.1 and bonus tracks. It’s been a clear eyed, diligent process with a large, clever team.

Nov.27
"Files mostly consolidated. Leaving for the UK on Thursday to mix, then home again to mix the bonus disk and the 5.1 version. Getting there...slowly. It’s a monstrous project, so one day at a time."

Hmmm, puzzled by this that no 5.1 so far as Devin said he was mixing in 5.1.
Well, if I find anything out at this tonight I will report back but doubtful anyone will ask a surround question.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cbc-van...ening-with-devin-townsend-tickets-54614104256

Devin tweeted on Jan.10th about this and quickly said tickets were gone, then weds(Jan.16) I saw some more tickets(FREE) available and I ordered some.
Something different as prefer whole band shows but have been to a couple of acoustic shows and they can be fun as well.
Never been to a tv recording of an artist so a first for me.

Hmmm, puzzled by this that no 5.1 so far as Devin said he was mixing in 5.1.
Well, if I find anything out at this tonight I will report back but doubtful anyone will ask a surround question.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cbc-van...ening-with-devin-townsend-tickets-54614104256

Devin tweeted on Jan.10th about this and quickly said tickets were gone, then weds(Jan.16) I saw some more tickets(FREE) available and I ordered some.
Something different as prefer whole band shows but have been to a couple of acoustic shows and they can be fun as well.
Never been to a tv recording of an artist so a first for me.

Wow! Very cool PZ! I'm jealous. Devin Townsend is one hell of a live performer, so I'm sure it will be incredible - one of my favorite shows I've seen.

But yeah, the lack of a 5.1 is very odd, because he's been talking about it for months and months now... Hopefully you can find something out Peterzach. I can't imagine it's a label thing as insidout is certainly friendly to 5.1 (and even releasing a 5.1 with the new Dream Theater) and DT is one of the label's biggest acts.

I guess it could always come out later ala Riverside

Just got back from the concert and very intimate only about 100 people watching and after it was over Devin was at the back and I had a chance to shake his hand and ask him the 5.1 question and.................he said

"coming out in August, it is a movie with the music and it will be lossless 5.1 surround".
So there you have it.

Mike Keneally(Sluggo 5.1 album) was involved in the whole Empath album as Devin said he was like the musical directory for this project.
Devin did not play one song from the new album as part of the acoustic set as what he said was how can you translate a 22 minute song that has choir's,3 drummers,very intense stuff, just can't do it so no preview off the new album.
He did a cover song and I had no clue where the song was from but later in question/answer he said it was one of the songs from "Les Miserables" as he loves musicals.
Was a very fun evening.

peter

Just got back from the concert and very intimate only about 100 people watching and after it was over Devin was at the back and I had a chance to shake his hand and ask him the 5.1 question and.................he said

"coming out in August, it is a movie with the music and it will be lossless 5.1 surround".
So there you have it.

Mike Keneally(Sluggo 5.1 album) was involved in the whole Empath album as Devin said he was like the musical directory for this project.
Devin did not play one song from the new album as part of the acoustic set as what he said was how can you translate a 22 minute song that has choir's,3 drummers,very intense stuff, just can't do it so no preview off the new album.
He did a cover song and I had no clue where the song was from but later in question/answer he said it was one of the songs from "Les Miserables" as he loves musicals.
Was a very fun evening.

peter
I was wondering about the 5.1 version last night! Good to hear it will appear

So there you have it.

Was a very fun evening.

peter

Great to hear! Bummed we've gotta wait another 8 months but I'm glad it's still in the works. Thanks for filling us in Peterzach!

Will miss Mike & Devin in L.A. area next week by a couple days; read about X-JAMM on Mike's website.

xjamm.jpg

Another update today via twitter from Devin:

"I don’t know how many people will be able to listen to Empath in 5.1, but in almost all ways, it’s leagues better than the original to me. Mixing this for ‘real’ is almost more for me wanting to finally get one right, than any practical motive. An order of magnitude ahead imo... "

So I asked:

"Dev, back in March you said this would be out in August. When can we expect now? So excited about this. "

and reply from Devin:

"I’ve been struggling to make deadlines amidst all the touring and personal life. It’s coming, to be sure..."

doesn't look the most adventurous a mix ever.. but i'm very happy to be proven totally wrong upon using these here old lugholes to listen to it all rather than gawp at waveforms! sorry if i missed it, when's it coming out and in what form(at)?

It was originally supposed to be August, but obviously, he missed that window. No format or release date has been announced, yet. From previous statements, I would expect blu-ray, and I'd imagine we get this within the next few months. That's just my optimistic speculation, though.

Back