Devin Townsend - Empath 5.1 BluRay + CD Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my shipping notice a few hours ago. FINALLY. Very excited to hear this.

DT has apparently started work on a follow up, and I'm feeling pretty confident that we'll be getting more 5.1 from him.

Got my shipping notice a few hours ago. FINALLY. Very excited to hear this.

DT has apparently started work on a follow up, and I'm feeling pretty confident that we'll be getting more 5.1 from him.
Mine also yesterday and this:

You saved $11.19 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the following item decreased after you ordered, and we gave you the lowest price.

Empath
Price on order date:​
$55.98​
Price charged at shipping:​
$44.79​
Lowest price before release date:​
$44.79​
Quantity:​
1​
Total Savings:​
$11.19​

This drummer is apparently a little bit of a fan:

1598293817287.png

Finally got my copy a couple days ago, and I finally have a chance to sit down and listen. Aside from a few tracks here and there, I've pretty much completely avoided listening to this, waiting for the 5.1, and it does NOT disappoint.

The music is bonkers - much crazier than the majority of the DTP output, but it sure does lend itself well to 5.1. There is just so much going on in each song, so many different styles within a single song - somewhat zappa-esque in that sense. Seems to be mastered relatively low for such a "heavy" album and quite dynamic. The visuals are very cheesy, and very fun. Devin Townsend absolutely nailed this. I'm kind of sad that there isn't more hype or support around here for what's definitely a strong contender for surround release of the year.

Finally got my copy a couple days ago, and I finally have a chance to sit down and listen. Aside from a few tracks here and there, I've pretty much completely avoided listening to this, waiting for the 5.1, and it does NOT disappoint.

The music is bonkers - much crazier than the majority of the DTP output, but it sure does lend itself well to 5.1. There is just so much going on in each song, so many different styles within a single song - somewhat zappa-esque in that sense. Seems to be mastered relatively low for such a "heavy" album and quite dynamic. The visuals are very cheesy, and very fun. Devin Townsend absolutely nailed this. I'm kind of sad that there isn't more hype or support around here for what's definitely a strong contender for surround release of the year.
I have been making my way through this and like you, aside from one track I hadn't heard any tracks from Empath. I agree that it is mind blowing. It is surely surely bound to cause sensory overload. Quite frankly, my favorite part of the package is the "Acoustically live in Leeds" . What a phenomenal voice!. I only wish there were more tracks included or rather the entire set from the acoustic live concert.

I have been making my way through this and like you, aside from one track I hadn't heard any tracks from Empath. I agree that it is mind blowing. It is surely surely bound to cause sensory overload. Quite frankly, my favorite part of the package is the "Acoustically live in Leeds" . What a phenomenal voice!. I only wish there were more tracks included or rather the entire set from the acoustic live concert.
Haven't made it to the second blu-ray yet. I think I'll sit with the main album a few times before I start to explore some of the goodies, but I'm really excited about this acoustic set and the behind-the-scenes 5.1 "mix lesson."

Is anyone able to rip the 5.1 bluray? I used every trick I normally succeed with and had zero luck. Can someone help out?

I had no problems with makemkv. It doesn't seem to like the little slideshow, but having watched it once that isn't a big deal.
Now my last PC blue ray (LG) could only do 7/9 of the Chicago BR, no idea why. My new one (ASUS) hasn't had a problem, although sometimes a good cleaning of the media is necessary.

Is anyone able to rip the 5.1 bluray? I used every trick I normally succeed with and had zero luck. Can someone help out?
I usually use DVD Audio Extractor with DVDFab Passkey, but that combo didn't work on Empath. Switched to DVDFab 11 and it did the job, but I had to manually add all of the tags.

@rugene (posting here and not the poll thread to try and be a better team player than I sometimes am).
You should sample a 10 minute portion of the mix special on Empath to watch Devin at work ... he is indeed a nutty professor and if he was using tape his technique would be very destructive.

The visual and audio content of this is very good not a discrete mix, but I don't think with this kind of music Devin could have done this kind of mix. I didn't have the patience to go through the big hour and half lesson on how he did the mix, only Devin can do this. The animation is incredible.

Back