DGM finally announces 50th anniversary surround deluxe set of IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halbroome

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
https://www.dgmlive.com/news/King Crimson - Celebrating 50 years

Probably going to be expensive as F*cK, but I know I'll want to have it. No mention of who is doing the new surrounds -- Jacko?

Oh! Happy b'day today, KC!

edit: wow, as a completist, that May release looks damn interesting! The October release is of course a must-have :p

Last edited:
That's poop emote :LOL:

Bullshit, Snood....They're Hershey Kisses ..... even though to some, they taste like shit!

hersheys-kisses-5lb_2.jpg

My sentiments, exactly, fair Snood. I LOVE the Steve Wilson MLP DVD~A 5.1 and BTW, I saw them perform In The Court of the Crimson King LIVE in Syracuse in the very early 70's.

NO MORE BOXES...unless they contain chocolates!:poop: [Hershey kisses?]
I actually thought it was really the worst SURROUND SOUND Steven has ever done. Not sure if it was bad master tapes or what, but I'm looking forward to the October release

I actually thought it was really the worst SURROUND SOUND Steven has ever done. Not sure if it was bad master tapes or what, but I'm looking forward to the October release

I fondly remember the vinyl [I'm being facetious]. It was always a problematic album, sonically, and on my system in MLP DVD~A 5.1, I was astounded by how well it sounded. Will be interested in your assessment of the new remix!

No offense, but I'm just tired of box sets!

I fondly remember the vinyl [I'm being facetious]. It was always a problematic album, sonically, and on my system in MLP DVD~A 5.1, I was astounded by how well it sounded. Will be interested in your assessment of the new remix!

No offense, but I'm just tired of box sets!
I get that me too.....but I guess it's the only way that the record company's can make money these days. Yes the'd sell more if the 5.1 discs were stand alone but then they'd loose $$$ in the long run I think. And as you know multichannel is still not a MASS APPEAL format. We should only hope :)

Did they forget they already did the big box set a few years ago for ITCOTCK, seriously can the new one be so much better, I doubt it. All these bands, Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin etc just keep on churning out remasters after remasters and this is so much better than last time we remastered it that it just becomes a joke and suckers like myself fall for it over and over it’s nuts. I’ll stick with what I have already thanks.

Did they forget they already did the big box set a few years ago for ITCOTCK, seriously can the new one be so much better, I doubt it. All these bands, Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin etc just keep on churning out remasters after remasters and this is so much better than last time we remastered it that it just becomes a joke and suckers like myself fall for it over and over it’s nuts. I’ll stick with what I have already thanks.

They can always rename it IN THE COURT of the RED RUBY DICTATOR and fool the public into buying it again. I'm not budging this time unless it's super spectacular. IMO, the Steve Wilson remixed MLP DVD~A 5.1 sounds just fine.

Really? I don’t love every SW 5.1 mix, but I think he killed this one. “I Talk To The Wind” is incredible with the harmonies and flutes in the rear. I suppose you could complain about fidelity, but I really don’t think the surround could possibly be improved on this.

Last edited:

I'm sure that DGM did not forget the Box Set that they issued for the 40th Anniversary of In The Court Of The Crimson King back in 2009. And I believe they'll do a new box set for the LP every 10 years (or as long as consumer interest holds up). Anyway, I'm curious to see if this new 5.1 mix of Court will be an improvement over the previous one (and who is doing it, will it be Wilson again or someone else).

Anyway, I'm curious to see if this new 5.1 mix of Court will be an improvement over the previous one (and who is doing it, will it be Wilson again or someone else).
Yes, indeed!

It also sounds as if this box will contain everything there is to release from 1969, which would be an expansion on the previous box, more in line with those that followed.

From Steven Wilson's Instagram:

Mr Fripp gives the thumbs up at my studio today to the 50th anniversary stereo and 5.1 surround remix of what is without doubt one of THE canonical rock albums, In the Court of the Crimson King. We first remixed the album for the 40th anniversary, but at the time it was one of my first classic album projects, so while I think that mix is pretty good, I was happy to have the chance to revisit it with the benefit of 10 years of experience. I think the new mix is a significant improvement and more faithful to the original 1969 mix (and for the audiophiles; this time at 96/24 resolution). Coming as part of a big box set later this year.

53229901_418358045639553_9206447117182599309_n.jpg

Back