DGM finally announces 50th anniversary surround deluxe set of IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, hope it’s not a humongous box set from hell that includes a Fripp bow tie and costs $400!

For you KID, $399

See the source image

Now that a new remix (and box set) of ITCOTKC is on the way, I wonder if SW is planning on revisiting any of the other King Crimson albums that he previously did.

I'm hoping it improves not just the surround, but the sound quality. My head exploded when I heard Wilson's mix of Lark's Tongues. It was such an improvement on the original. The drums on In The Court had a strange "light" tone to me, particularly the snare on Schizoid Man. Giles had a more full sound with more depth and "umph" on Poseidon.

Either way, after buying the last box of In The Court, I'll wait to hear what others say first before diving in. This would be my 4th copy I believe...

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds it odd that since they already did a 5.1 that they didn't make this one Atmos? Surely it would have been more marketable that way.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that since they already did a 5.1 that they didn't make this one Atmos? Surely it would have been more marketable that way.

Probably, but it would be inconsistent with their MLP DVD~A 5.1 format as they'd have to utilize a BD~A to include ATMOS. Just a theory.

Am still hoping for a stand alone release of Crimson as remixed [again] by Steve Wilson.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE

C'mon now...you know the reason...they have to save something for the next mondo box set...I can just imagine the press release going something like this..."the main aim of DMG is to serve King Crimson Music, it's what we live for, honest:rolleyes:and this will be the last limited box set version(fingers crossed behind his back)
..oh yeah...we are giving this information in good faith ;)

I believe there is a quote from Wilson somewhere stating that he doesn't work in any surround configuration beyond 5.1. Besides, I'm not really sure an 8-track recording would lend itself well to an Atmos remix.

C'mon now...you know the reason...they have to save something for the next mondo box set...I can just imagine the press release going something like this..."the main aim of DMG is to serve King Crimson Music, it's what we live for, honest:rolleyes:and this will be the last limited box set version(fingers crossed behind his back)..oh yeah...we are giving this information in good faith ;)

I don't know...I think this King Crimson series from DGM is anything but a cash grab. I mean, they didn't have spend all this time and money remixing every single album into stereo and surround, then releasing them on affordable CD/DVD-A sets. Plus digging up all the outtakes, live albums, and other archive material for those massive boxes. If anything, I'd say this is a model reissue campaign for how to treat classic material with reverence.

And in other Crimson news, they will be reissuing the 40th Anniversary Box sets (for a limited time) in June.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Boxes are back

Sigh, there goes the value I was counting on for retirement. What's next? The Carpenter's hits reissued? AVALON surround available in every WalMart?

<and yes, future value is the way I tell myself that it's ok to collect all these! guess I'll have to find a different excuse>

I believe there is a quote from Wilson somewhere stating that he doesn't work in any surround configuration beyond 5.1. Besides, I'm not really sure an 8-track master would lend itself well to an Atmos remix.

I don't know...I think this King Crimson series from DGM is anything but a cash grab. I mean, they didn't have spend all this time and money remixing every single album into stereo and surround, then releasing them on affordable CD/DVD-A sets. Plus digging up all the outtakes, live albums, and other archive material for those massive boxes. If anything, I'd say this is a model reissue campaign for how to treat classic material with reverence.

Actually it was "kinda" of a joke...but not entirely...although this seems like a comprehensive collection I just don't buy into the statement that DMG's MAIN aim is to serve King Crimson Music....it's a business and the MAIN goal is to make money...and I'm actually glad when they do....because when they don't we won't be getting more music releases....bottom line...when these music business concerns start talking about good faith and other objectives other than making a profit...my spidey senses are alerted and I just ignore the message :)

Sigh, there goes the value I was counting on for retirement. What's next? The Carpenter's hits reissued? AVALON surround available in every WalMart?

<and yes, future value is the way I tell myself that it's ok to collect all these! guess I'll have to find a different excuse>

Trust me...where there is a will...there is another rationalization right around the corner...don't forget this

I am not a King Crimson fan but is this what you all are talking about? Wonder if it would be worth it to me, 24 discs, that's a lot.
$206.00 Pre Order Box Set
Limited Edition boxed set chronicling King Crimson from 1997-2008, including 24 discs (18 CDs, 4 Blu-ray, 2 DVD-A). 18 CDs of studio & live material from 1997/2008, including 3 CDs featuring a re-imagining of The ConstruKction of Light, an extended/enhanced stereo mix of The Power To Believe and the Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Level 5 mini albums. 3 BD discs of studio/live material (audio). 2 DVD-as of studio/live live material (audio). 1 BD of concert material (video). 12" box with booklet & memorabilia and new sleeve notes by Sid Smith & David Singleton. Contains previously unreleased material. One disc contains The ReconstruKction Of Light, with new stereo & 5.1 mixes with drums completely newly recorded by Pat Mastelotto and more. Includes an idealized set list drawn from the NY run of gigs from KC's 2008 Tour. Contains approximately 10 hours of audio/video tour footage.

I am not a King Crimson fan but is this what you all are talking about? Wonder if it would be worth it to me, 24 discs, that's a lot.
$206.00 Pre Order Box Set
Limited Edition boxed set chronicling King Crimson from 1997-2008, including 24 discs (18 CDs, 4 Blu-ray, 2 DVD-A). 18 CDs of studio & live material from 1997/2008, including 3 CDs featuring a re-imagining of The ConstruKction of Light, an extended/enhanced stereo mix of The Power To Believe and the Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Level 5 mini albums. 3 BD discs of studio/live material (audio). 2 DVD-as of studio/live live material (audio). 1 BD of concert material (video). 12" box with booklet & memorabilia and new sleeve notes by Sid Smith & David Singleton. Contains previously unreleased material. One disc contains The ReconstruKction Of Light, with new stereo & 5.1 mixes with drums completely newly recorded by Pat Mastelotto and more. Includes an idealized set list drawn from the NY run of gigs from KC's 2008 Tour. Contains approximately 10 hours of audio/video tour footage.
View attachment 40296
That set is for the die hard fan...IMO....I ordered the 2 singles which covers "most" of the surround in the set....this one and this one

Back