DGM finally announces 50th anniversary surround deluxe set of IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blobid1598548158269.jpg

20CD/4Blu-Ray/1DVD/1DVD-A

Steven Wilson's take on the new set:
In what must surely be the last word in deluxe editions of classic albums, King Crimson's debut In the Court of the Crimson King is now reissued as a 26 Disc (!) CD/DVD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray box set called The Complete 1969 Recordings, with literally every possible perspective on the album, including the complete studio sessions, alternate takes, BBC sessions, every known surviving live recording from the original line up, and pre-KC material recorded by Giles, Giles and Fripp. The album itself appears in several versions, including a brand new remix of the album in Dolby Atmos for a completely fresh listening experience. I've definitely had a bit more fun with this mix, watch out for solos and mellotrons circling overhead! Released on 23rd October.

26 discs for £145 (plus the book, etc.) sounds like a reasonable deal, but I don't know if I'd ever listen to all of those discs more than once (like that recent massive Woodstock set).

So, good value ... but seriously, how many times would you folks listen to all of the 26 discs? Sounds like a release for only hard-core, completist KC fans.

However, even with the VAT discount (so £120), the postage to Oz (from Burning Shed) is another £66, so £187 ... no thanks, but perhaps others can find a better postage deal?

Last edited:
Here it is, the complete 1969 sessions box set, out on October 23rd: King Crimson - Complete 1969 Recordings

Burning Shed preorder: Complete 1969 Recordings

:)
As much as I would like to have this boxset I already have the previous one plus the Epitaph boxset plus last years Blu-Ray plus several collectors editions and all the sessions so the Dolby Atmos is the only new thing for me. I can’t justify paying £145 +shipping for this one 😢

As much as I would like to have this boxset I already have the previous one plus the Epitaph boxset plus last years Blu-Ray plus several collectors editions and all the sessions so the Dolby Atmos is the only new thing for me. I can’t justify paying £145 +shipping for this one 😢

Agreed. I would love to hear the ATMOS mix but there is too much in this package that is of zero interest to me. A stand alone Blu-ray would be nice but it would probably affect sales of the box set.

Been expecting/waiting for this one - who would've thought 2020 would be such an expensive year for surround - immediately preordered from Burning Shed. This is likely the last big box set from Fripp & company - somehow fitting that the earliest Crimson recordings from way back in 1968-69 would receive the most lavish treatment and latest technology (Atmos!). I've purchased all the other big Crimson sets and could not pass on this one, although most of the live material is probably of dubious quality. I Talk to The Wind and Epitaph cemented my lasting love for King Crimson and progressive rock when I was just a lad in high school, and set a bar for quality, challenging progressive music that has rarely been equalled since. Still hoping for one last new studio album from the band before Fripp calls it quits, but if this is the end of a long, long road, I'll be happy.

Back