DGM finally announces 50th anniversary surround deluxe set of IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the box one hour ago, closed the doors as family is at home and I'm listening to the Atmos as I write. All I can say is wow. I'm really, really impressed at the use of the height speakers, Schizoid is like hearing the song for the first time. It's simply amazing.

Out of all the SW mixes this year which one do you reckon is the best?

Out of all the SW mixes this year which one do you reckon is the best?
Difficult question for which I don't have an answer at the moment. I'm deep in the shit at work and have very little time to digest all the purchases I made this year. This means I listened max a couple of times (unfocused listening most of the times) to the albums, and sometimes only once like Court or none (like the Doobies box I got couple of days ago). I hope I will have some spare time in December to enjoy all the good music from 2020.
Court is undoubtedly a winner, and the last time I listened to Seeds I liked it a bit more, but still the cymbals in the rears during the first songs distract me a lot. Vienna I have not listened yet, but I don't like the record that much, so I don't think the mix will change my opinion. Future bites Atmos mixes released so far are a bit irregular and heard out of context don't think helps improving my perception.
Hackett's live album I like a lot and I don't have any issue with the bass levels.
So.... ask me again the same question by the year end. I'm really glad to have so many options to choose from anyway!
I won't be able to listen to Court again until Friday, best case :(

Hey hey, I received my shipping email along with a tracking number for UPS... It has the delivery date set for Tues the 17th. Very exciting !
I contacted Amy and she told me they switched to UPS shipping but I never received the tracking info. I have now, and delivery scheduled for Monday, Nov 16. The postal service is usually MUCH faster but Amy said they had been experiencing delays with USPS.

My King Crimson box arrived today. I only had enough time to listen to Atmos Schizoid before the warden got home from work. First impression is that it has to be heard...hard to describe it's that good. I first listened to this album when it was released in 69 and this atmos mix after 50 years has definitely blown the cobwebs off my mind. Like someone else on here said, it's like hearing it for the first time...very impressive. I want to give the test of the album a straight play through when I can. I have a 7.1.4 system...

I received the box set 3 days ago from the Schizoid shop with 3 face masks as a gift (I thought they will send only 1).

I listened to the Atmos mix and it is a beauty. Parts of the guitar on 21st Schizoid Man comes from the ceiling. The flute on I Talk to the Wind too, and so on.
It is incredible how beautiful and clear this album sounds for being from 1969. I haven't played the 2019 5.1 mix yet to compare but this is a winner. I need another listen to rate it. I have such a big backlog of surround albums to listen and rate here but, this being one of my favourite albums ever, I had to give it a go.

I have a 5.1.2 system with front upfiring speakers and I'm in the process of adding 2 ceiling speakers to make it a 5.2.4. Once I do that, this will be the first Atmos disc I'll play to try it.

By the way, the face masks are so so; they are not elastic, so they bend my ears and feel somewhat uncomfortable. But nice to have them for free.
IMG_1881(Edited).jpg

Received my copy today! It took 7 days to go 3 hours. haha. St Louis to Champaign. Oh well. This box set is beautiful. Obviously, I went straight to the Atmos mix, and I was NOT disappointed. For sure, it is very different than all of the 5.1's I've heard. In some cases, the changes are subtle, but yet, striking. Moonchild, there are little cymbal strikes that bounce back and forth and they simply float higher in the room. Often, the soundstage feels as if it is somewhere between my ear level and 8 feet up. I find myself looking around the room looking for a speaker to match where the sound is...and there isn't one. It's as if the music is simply floating somewhere.....but not near a speaker. Very, very cool. I dig this mix a bunch. Homerun...

Last edited:
I suppose this is a ridiculous question. But.....is Fripp and "whoever that is" trying to be funny? No, I'm serious. I sort of wish, if he's going to bother putting some Covid videos out...he'd actually do something great. So many other artists are putting out, what I view as incredible videos that I find exhilerating.

I know, I know. Yes, I have a sense of humor......usually. haha

I suppose this is a ridiculous question. But.....is Fripp and "whoever that is" trying to be funny? No, I'm serious. I sort of wish, if he's going to bother putting some Covid videos out...he'd actually do something great. So many other artists are putting out, what I view as incredible videos that I find exhilerating.

I know, I know. Yes, I have a sense of humor......usually. haha
Fripp and Mrs Fripp or Mr Wilcox and Toyah depending on what release you are looking at.

I think its great fun and we know despite the grumpy old man persona Bobby Fripp has a sense of humour

Back