Quad LP/Tape Poll Diamond, Neil: Serenade [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate ND's "Serenade"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ-32919, fall '74.

Side 1:

1. I've Been This Way Before
2. Rosemary's Wine
3. Lady Magdelene
4. The Last Picasso

Side 2:

1. Longfellow Serenade
2. Yes I Will
3. Reggae Strut
4. The Gift Of Song

ED :)

This is really a great lp....its too bad that the Quad mix doesn't do it justice. Tom Catalano , the original producer, was the quad remix engineer, and Warren Vincent did the Quad supervision. I 'm suprised that the original producer didn't get more creative and discrete with this. Even the Q8 isn't all that discrete.

Considering Neil is a big promoter of Mono and refuses to have any of his old stuff remixed into plain ol' Stereo, I'm surprised this album got the green light for Quad. I think the mix fits the music. It's Neil Diamond.... it's nice and mellow and doesn't need things screaming at you from all corners. It's smooth and gentle like a good ol' Mancini mix :D

Has anyone got the Q8 version as well as the SQ?
I would like to do a full DVD-A of this - he's mother's favourite.

Has anyone got the Q8 version as well as the SQ?
I would like to do a full DVD-A of this - he's mother's favourite.

Unfortunately, I called my brother and he confirmed that all I have is the Lp.

Considering Neil is a big promoter of Mono and refuses to have any of his old stuff remixed into plain ol' Stereo, I'm surprised this album got the green light for Quad.

Neil isn't a 'big promoter of mono'; he just prefers the Bang mono mixes of his hits over the stereo versions(can't blame him for that, though we can blame him for not having that portion of his career remastered and remixed, I suppose....). If Neil were such a mono nut, he'd have given us the mono mixes of some important Uni sides like "Brother Love," "Sweet Caroline"(which did make it to CD), "Holly Holy," "Soolaimon" and others. But these always seem to turn up in stereo on reissues. Those babies would make for great 5.1 listening...:)

This isn't the type of music that can handle panning or other gimmicks well without sounding even more ridiculous and pretentious...:D Given what it is, I think the mix is adequate, unadventurous, but fitting.

Bit surprised nobody else has noticed the channel swap on this one?

Rear Right is Front Right and vice versa..

This is on the SQ LP pressed in the Netherlands ( Q 69067 ) it may be that the Q8 and SQ LPs pressed in other territories aren't affected, of course.

Playing the Q8 right now. Vocals nice and bright in the front, down low in the back. Drums very much in the front, not a trace in the backs. I would say there is no swapped channel on the Q8. However, some songs are more discrete than others depending on the arrangement.

"Reggae Strut" for example, is probably one of the more discrete tracks on the album. Drums, Neil, Bass, Grand Piano and Percussion in the front. Tack Piano, Steel Drums and strings in the rear with a healthy dose of drum echo to flesh things out.

This is really a great lp....its too bad that the Quad mix doesn't do it justice. Tom Catalano , the original producer, was the quad remix engineer, and Warren Vincent did the Quad supervision. I 'm suprised that the original producer didn't get more creative and discrete with this. Even the Q8 isn't all that discrete.

hi carlane3 sorry for dredging up your nearly 13-year old post but i can't see any Quad engineer info on my copy of the SQ LP, whereabouts did you discover who mixed the Quad please?

Reactions: GOS
did a bit of old-Quad-info-dredging and carlane3 is/was quite right, Tom Catalano did indeed do the Quad of this one with Warren Vincent, as shown on the rear of the jacket for the CBS SQ Demo LP "New Quadraphonic Gala";

71918626-DFD6-40A8-9C29-18349D4A84CD.jpeg

FC81D74A-DE12-4839-BAFA-B4CA5A3A6E13.jpeg

strange that info wasn't on the SQ Quad LP itself but there you go, another mixing trifle all cleared up and the Doctor's delighted with the outcome 😂

Back