DIANA ROSS & SUPREMES GREATEST HITSQ MOTOWN CD4W-7093 Japan OBI 4CHANNEL CD-4 LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All
A item I was bidding on but went way over my budget.

1809511.jpg

Ended:
May 06, 2020 , 9:30AM
Winning bid:

US $307.00

Hi. All
A item I was bidding on but went way over my budget.

View attachment 50728

Ended:
May 06, 2020 , 9:30AM
Winning bid:

US $307.00

oh how silly.. there's that expression.. something about "..a fool and their money are soon parted.." ☺️

fwiw, i got mine as recently as October 2016 for £30 including shipping.

ok, it has no obi (so clearly that's £200 wiped off the value straight away!) but it has none of that naff 'foxing' staining on the white bits of the sleeve and it demodulates ok which is all i was really interested in anyway.

i'd say maybe sit tight and one should come up for much less than that.

Every now and then, some of the Japanese sellers throw caution to the wind and open up their auctions. Rather than having crazy Buy-It-Nows, they let the market dictate what the price will be. I've managed to score some GREAT titles because of this. I paid about $40 for EACH Hot Butter title, about $70 for the two Carpenters discs, and even the mother of them all; Elvis in Memphis only set me back $125. So yeah, patience is definitely a virtue!!

Enough all the talk of its value (perceived or otherwise): can someone please comment on how it actually sounds?

Many Motown CD4 had alternate vocals, probably when mixing for quad the GH they had no clue or recollection of what were the released takes and slipped in something else.
Happened also in two well-known cases:
Deep Purple "Soldiers of fortune", on Stormbringer
Billy Paul, "Me and Mrs. Jones", on 360 degrees of.

I'm trying to correct both with the regular vocal takes, it takes a while to limit the artifacts but now with spleeter it can be done.

Enough all the talk of its value (perceived or otherwise): can someone please comment on how it actually sounds?

The LP itself sounds quite good, as most Japan-pressed CD-4s do. The quad mix has effective separation, but the balance seems off at times - usually the lead vocals are very hot in the mix and the backing vocals are buried way down (on a few of the songs, they're isolated in the left front channel). To me, it sounds almost like an early attempt rather than a full realized quad mix.

It's an interesting curio if you're familiar with the original mixes - several of the songs feature alternate vocals and/or instrumentation. Diana Ross sounds slightly hoarse in "You Keep Me Hangin' On" and the Supremes' backing vocals are barely audible. "I'm Livin' In Shame" is performed in an entirely different (higher) key and features some extra instruments left off the original (there's this fancy harp-like intro in the beginning).

It's fun, but certainly not $300 good - some of the other Motown quads (Temptations, Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye) are much better mixes.

They were still learning to make good stereo mixes when quad happened. I have some absolutely awful stereo mixes from the 1960s and early 1970s. The early equipment they had didn't help.

The early quad mixes were also sometimes quite awful. They wanted to use all of the capabilities instead of making a nice soundscape.

These quads were probably stuff thrown together quickly to get something on the market.

the Motown Quads were mixed circa '73-75, hardly Quads' first flourish, i don't accept the idea they were hastily thrown together at the advent of Quad. if the Supremes Quad mixes are basic and a departure from Hit versions, i should suggest limited availability of multitracks may have been a factor. one need only compare this Supremes Quad to the "Let's Get It On" Quad, which is as accomplished as the 5.1 presentation of that album mixed nearly 25 years later. the Quad perhaps is even more sophisticated than what made it out on SACD etc, it is an excellent example of surround soul music.

Back