Dual Disc Diatonis

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
hey there is no DTS discussion section here. So I put it here
I found a few DTS disc by Diatonis on Amazon. Has anybody had a visionistic sonic experience with them yet?

Hi solaris,

Thank you for your interest in my music. You can get DVD-Audio versions of 'Highway 1' and 'Ambient Life' at my website. I am also about to release a hybrid DVD-A/DVD-V of 'The Convolving Universe' as well. This album will have 4 new videos. All my DVD-Audio discs are ambient music. Soon I will be adding some video demos of the album which can be found at my site.

Thanks Again for your interest,
Diatonis
Ambient Music in 5.1 Surround Sound

Last edited:
elmer said:
You can go to http://www.diatonis.com/downloads_dts_ac3.html and download a free DTS track from the website - it downloads in a zip file after opening you can burn it to CD-R and it will play DTS surround back on your player (assuming that you have DTS capability).

His stuff is ambient electronica - a DIY recording but OK. Check this out first.

Hello,

I listened to the samples on the computer and they remind me of Kevin Braheny/ Hearts of Space etc. I would like to check out the sound further in surround but...

What am I doing wrong? When I download the DTS file, unzip it and burn it, all I get is white noise. Is a special burner required for DTS encoded files? I am just using the Windows Media Player and / or Dell Jukebox.:confused:

I have tried to playback on both my dvd players, Pioneer and JVC and they don't acknowledge any DTS. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Nothing speciel required. Make sure you're burning it as a music cd, not a data disc. If you have more than one file make sure that that you don't put a 2 second gap between tracks. If you are doing everything right and still only getting noise try using the digital out and have your receiver/processor decode it.

Good luck

BananaSlug said:
Nothing speciel required. Make sure you're burning it as a music cd, not a data disc. If you have more than one file make sure that that you don't put a 2 second gap between tracks. If you are doing everything right and still only getting noise try using the digital out and have your receiver/processor decode it.

Good luck

Thanks for the reassurance :banana: Slug. I did everything over and this time with good results. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first time around.

Diatonis, Do you mind if I call you Dts. for short? I like your music and I was very impressed with your use of surround to gently move the sound stage around the room. Keep up the great work.

What title do you recommend for the best combination of your audio and video. I also like what I've seen of the photography that you use. Do you do it yourself?

I noticed your avatar of the Redwoods. Do you have anything that uses photography from the Fort Bragg to Crescent City areas of the CA coast?

If you're ever in the Escondido area let me know and come on by for a visit.

Skyfin

Hi aquadad and BananaSlug,

Manytimes people burn dts wav files as a data disc:: thank bananaslug :phones

aquadad said:
What title do you recommend for the best combination of your audio and video.
I'm about to release an older album that was originally done in 5.1 as a hybrid DVD-Audio / DVD-Video disc. It has four videos as well as the complete album in both AC3 and DVD-Audio (MLP). The album was originally done at 44.1kHz 24-bit etc... and that's what is on the album. There is no real enhancement I've noticed by converting the sample rate to 96kHz. In the past while mastering I ran each track (L,C,R,Ls,Rs) through a Manley Massive EQ and Variable-Mu compressor and re-recorded it at 96kHz with some good results. It just added more even (and odd) harmonics above 18kHz or so.

I do my own photography most of it is from san simeon to big sur and up around inverness. Thank you for your visitation offer :sun

diatonis said:
Hi aquadad and BananaSlug,

Manytimes people burn dts wav files as a data disc:: thank bananaslug :phones

I'm about to release an older album that was originally done in 5.1 as a hybrid DVD-Audio / DVD-Video disc. It has four videos as well as the complete album in both AC3 and DVD-Audio (MLP). The album was originally done at 44.1kHz 24-bit etc... and that's what is on the album. There is no real enhancement I've noticed by converting the sample rate to 96kHz. In the past while mastering I ran each track (L,C,R,Ls,Rs) through a Manley Massive EQ and Variable-Mu compressor and re-recorded it at 96kHz with some good results. It just added more even (and odd) harmonics above 18kHz or so.

I do my own photography most of it is from san simeon to big sur and up around inverness. Thank you for your visitation offer :sun

Hello,

I thought I recognized the road to Pt. Reyes in one photograph. I will be looking forward to getting your latest release 'The Convolving Universe' when it comes out. I have many ambient / electronica titles in my collection but they are all in stereo. The only title I have that comes close to what you do in surround is Kitaro's DVD-A "Best Of Silk Road".

Speaking of Kitaro, some of his mixes create a phantom sound that comes from above creating a pyramidal sound field. Have you incorparated this effect into any of your work?

If you ever do find the time to visit bring your camera. I live on a small lake /pond (about 7 acres) that serves as a sort of inner city bird sanctuary. You might be able to get something of use. One thing is for sure though. You will get to hear your work on a QuadBob restored receiver which may make you want to be the next in line to get one if you aren't already.:phones

Last edited:
aquadad said:
I thought I recognized the road to Pt. Reyes in one photograph. I have many ambient / electronica titles in my collection but they are all in stereo. The only title I have that comes close to what you do in surround is Kitaro's DVD-A "Best Of Silk Road".

I've got a lot of photos of that area but not to many up. I haven't actually heard 'Best of Silk Road'. I've used some ambisonics and software dolby type encoders to simulate height.

Thank you for the photo offer it sounds interesting. I'll let you know:sun
Diatonis

diatonis said:
aquadad

can you Private Message me :D

thanks,
diatonis

Hello Diatonis, The PM system has been behaving badly. I've sent two PM's to you. Hopefully you'll receive them, but if you don't, let me know and I'll try again tomorrow. I did receive your message ok. Thank You!(y)

Back