Difficulty converting specific DVD Audio title to 5.1 FLAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

I am posting because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to convert my 48/24 MLP 5.1 Linkin Park - Reanimation DVD audio disc to FLAC for eventual network playback.
I have tried DVD Audio extractor and all I get are 0 second "click" files.
I have tried Foobar 2000 with the necessary plugins and all I get are "garbage tracks" with "major errors" in conversion
I have tried DVD Audio Explorer, which refuses to rip it because it is encrypted
I have tried Audiomuxer, but unfortunately most of the music is in the AUDIO_TS folder as .aob files. Audiomuxer wants VTS.IFO files, which only amount to a couple multichannel tracks on the disc.

I know this disc is watermarked which is likely causing all the problem (Foobar works perfectly with my unwatermarked Porcupine Tree album) but I would like to get the files on my NAS so that I don't have to keep inserting the disc for playback. It's almost 2019!

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? I've been pouring through these forums for hours and cannot find an answer. Thanks!

Unfortunately I think you are going to have to purchase a program for that my friend, I don't know of any free programs that will work. I have dvd fab 6 which converts them to an iso file, from there you can use foobar to convert to multichannel flac if you want.

Unfortunately I think you are going to have to purchase a program for that my friend, I don't know of any free programs that will work. I have dvd fab 6 which converts them to an iso file, from there you can use foobar to convert to multichannel flac if you want.
I have the iso on my computer right now, I was able to rip it. I am opening the iso on foobar2000 with similar results as above.

Reanimation is one of the few rock titles in surround that I don't own. So, not sure if I know what the issues are. I have, over the last few years, run into a title or 2 that I simply cannot rip correctly.

I think you may be right here G, I looked back at my work notes when i was involved in the dewatermarking project and my notes were double check mark error/ error. which means I had trouble ripping that particular disc and I was going to circle back around to it to see why, but never did. I will load it up again and try to see what the issue is with that one. I will report back here when I can. In the meantime I am wondering if anyone else here at the Q has that one converted to mch flac?

In the meantime I am wondering if anyone else here at the Q has that one converted to mch flac?

reanimation.jpg

I genuinely don't remember what I did. I seem to recall DVD-A Explorer working? Either that or I just gave up and ripped the lossy DVD-V layer instead. It's not one I listen to often anyway.

The only DVD-A I've had problems with is Marvin Gaye's greatest hits. The hi-res layer is LPCM instead of MLP and for some reason I can't rip it with DVD AudioExtractor or anything else. The lossy layer is AC3, so I ain't going there.

The only DVD-A I've had problems with is Marvin Gaye's greatest hits. The hi-res layer is LPCM instead of MLP and for some reason I can't rip it with DVD AudioExtractor or anything else.

Al Green's Greatest Hits is another problem title with LPCM instead of MLP. I think the Marvin Gaye problem is compounded by the fact it's sampled at 44.1/24. The Toy Matinee DVD-A is also like that and refused to rip.

I started a thread on these 44.1/25 DVD-As from DTS Entertainment a month or so ago. I'm suspicious they took the DTS-CD master and ran it through an MLP encoder rather than using a higher-resolution source (if one existed).

Last edited:
Yes.
This disc is a PITA for the track titles, tr.12 is the worst offender.
Workflow: make a ISO of the dvd-a, open and convert to flac with Foobar, when tagging the tracks correct track12 with its nasty \ sign.
That workflow get rid of 99% of the problems

It looks like George has one that me thinks someone analog recorded into audition, which may be the only way to convert this one, you guys might be right with the track titles, so here's what I have found so far; with anydvd running in the background dvd audio explorer wouldn't even rip it, (says it did but actually only rips 3secs of each track as white noise). dvdfab 6 will clone rip it to an iso, with chapters changed to numbers Foobar will load that iso, but when trying to work with it or play it an error gets thrown, (not sure why yet). However, it opens and plays just fine with VLC media player, but I can't tell if I am playing 5.1 or stereo because I am not set up to play from file format yet. a good test would be to see if Kodi will play it but again I am not there quite yet.

with anydvd running in the background dvd audio explorer wouldn't even rip it, (says it did but actually only rips 3secs of each track as white noise). dvdfab 6 will clone rip it to an iso, with chapters changed to numbers Foobar will load that iso, but when trying to work with it or play it an error gets thrown, (not sure why yet).

I haven't used AnyDVD since my "lifetime subscription" turned out to be "just kidding!" but I definitely remember it causing trouble when I tried to rip DVDs with Foobar2000. I'd consistently get the "major errors" referred to in the original post but just as consistently be able to make them go away by disabling AnyDVD.

AFAIK Vlc doesn't read dvd-audio, so it is accessing the dvd-video area.
For the record, i don't have anydvd anywhere.

Very Interesting A, I have never actually been able to rip a dvd-a with Foobar, and yes when Anydvd changed hands a lot of peeps got screwed, but it is better than it used to be. I should also add that anydvd was disabled with dvdfab rip, with dvda explorer it wouldn't even open properly without anydvd running.

Hey Wins, what are you using to rip the iso?

Ripped the iso many years ago (and working on 'em NOW converting to flac... talk about being late!) so i'm not 100% sure but it should be IsoBuster because it was the only one that could handle the 50-disc loader i have (an absolute MUST when dealing with thousands...).
So:
1) rip with Isobuster
2) load the ISO on Foobar and convert to flac
3) Tag

well I tried to rip this with Isobuster free version and it wouldn't touch it, I'm guessing wins has the paid version. when It comes time to begin working on transferring my DVDA collection to a file based playback system I may spring for this, but not at this time. I tested it on another DVDA and it did seem a tad faster than dvdfab.

I converted an ISO file from a home burned DVD-AUDIO disc with Foobar to FLAC and Foobar can't find or support the ISO image. Suggestions?

Back