Diptychs, audio visual live performance to view in 360 ambisonic video

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franck

QQ Supporter
Last December I recorded the show Diptychs. It features some Serge modular Synthesizers and some cool visuals. There are 2 sets and on each set, each artist was assigned the left or right speakers in the room. People moving in the room could create their own mix. I tried to recreate this by using ambisonics in a 360 video. Where you look affects your mix. Part2 is, I think, the best rendered in ambisonic, but you tell me.
Ambisonic is best heard on the youtube app with headsets (in a browser the audio is an ambisonic approximation), and If you have an Oculus event better!

I had good feedback from the artists and the local community.
I hope to make a short production explanation video. Will post the link here if this is of interest.

Though, my cat was pretty freaked out. haha
Achievement unlocked! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, most appreciated. Did not know about Auro-3D, sounds cool to have options from Dolby Atmos.

I have a few more 360 music videos in ambisonic on my YouTube channel. May be I should make a playlist, to find them easily.

Achievement unlocked! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, most appreciated. Did not know about Auro-3D, sounds cool to have options from Dolby Atmos.

I have a few more 360 music videos in ambisonic on my YouTube channel. May be I should make a playlist, to find them easily.

Yep, please do. I will look at them all. I also watched your video you took near the G.G. Bridge. That was awesome.

I'm fairly exhausted tonight. Woke up at 4am and been up ever since. I'll check out tomorrow, but thanks!
No worries, these are forums, not chat rooms ;)
Have a good night sleep, stay safe, keep your immune system at peak performance.

I too am playing them back through Auro-3D
Well, actually, I'm alternating between that and Dolby Atmos.

And to be fair my ears cannot pick any difference between the two options.

And they sure sound cool . (y)

Not tried the headphone route

And the Time 360 vid is something else!!

Last edited:
YouTube has an explanation how the sound is treated on app vs browsers

DeviceBehavior
Mobile appYouTube decodes the Ambisonic soundtrack to binaural stereo using Head-Related Transfer Functions (HRTFs)
DesktopChrome, Opera, FirefoxYouTube decodes the Ambisonic soundtrack to binaural stereo using Mid-Side (stereo) technique
Other browsersYouTube will down-mix the Head-Locked Stereo portion of the audio track to the omni-directional component (W) of the First Order Ambisonics

I use this python tool, to look at the manifest of YouTube videos, and you should see some of the audio files are ambisonic, some are the stereo down mix.

So not sure how Auro-3d and Atmos deal with the audio. You would need a specific mobile app to interface correctly with these standards... YouTube VR for Oculus is doing the ambisonic+HRTF I believe.

Something new to get my noggin around.
Who would have thought that I can get surround sound via YouTube
Mine is playing straight through from a Windows 10 edge browser, via the PC, into a Marantz SR8012 receiver.
Where I can select various playback options from stereo to Auro-3D.
Am I right in assuming that the reciever is automatically recognising the signal input or is it carrying out an up-mix of it's own accord?
I did have a quick scan of how Ambisonic is handled.
I expect an education in all this is required... :unsure:

I expect an education in all this is required... :unsure:
I did a video for this
and working on a page on my site to explain surround in YouTube: PeachyMango - Franck Martin | Surround

You should try with one of the recommended browsers, I know edge is now based on Chrome, but I have no idea if the output is mono... See if with the real Chrome, Opera or Firefox, you get a better stereo signal. In my video I don't have a head locked stereo track, so you would get only the W (mono) signal on "Other Browsers".

Back