HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
Gave it a 9. Excellent album and my first sacd.
Way late to the surround party
Welcome to the forum.

You couldn't have picked a better release to begin with. This is always demo material for me. If only all releases were this good.

As Jeddia mentioned, the EJ releases are excellent, as are the very recent re-releases of the Pink Floyd SACDs from Audio Fidelity. You can get them new at non OOP prices.

Audiowannabee, that's a great one to start out on! Try and find the Elton John SACD's as well, they're still pretty cheap. But as far as SACD's go, the prices are generally very high as most of them are out of print now.

Yep stuff is expensive. Did manage to get EJ Tumbleweed n Madman at decent prices...looks like that maybe it for me w EJ cuz rest are running big $$$

Yep stuff is expensive. Did manage to get EJ Tumbleweed n Madman at decent prices...looks like that maybe it for me w EJ cuz rest are running big $$$

There are still affordable copies of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road available. Plus it's available in multiple formats (SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray.)

Here are the Discogs listings:

Blu-ray Audio (One currently available for $17.99)
Double SACD (Available from a US seller for $28)
DVD-A (Available from a US seller for $30)

I voted 10. I own the 5.1 SACD. One of my first surround discs and continues to be a reference surround disc. Any version of Brothers In Arms is good stereo or MCH.

You don't own BIA in YOUR VERY FAVORITE FORMAT MLP DVD~A 5.1??? In fact, the engineer who mastered the 5.1 of the DVD~A and the SACD went on record to say he much preferred the sound of the DVD~A....over the SACD!

Brothers In Arms was an early PCM DDD Recording which lends itself to MLP DVD~A 5.1 [PCM all the way, baby] instead of converting the files to DSD.....Make sense?

I realize that I had not voted this one earlier. A great album, but with the surround, I enjoy the "non" hits "Ride across the River" and "The Man's Too Strong" the most. The deep bass just thrills me every time. TEN.

I wish other DS titles were released in surround. I enjoy the Knopfler Shangri-La, but it much more laid back.

I realize that I had not voted this one earlier. A great album, but with the surround, I enjoy the "non" hits "Ride across the River" and "The Man's Too Strong" the most. The deep bass just thrills me every time. TEN.

I wish other DS titles were released in surround. I enjoy the Knopfler Shangri-La, but it much more laid back.

Hugo, I likewise voted a 10. BTW, do you have Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia also available as a Combo MLP DVD~A 5.1/RBCD: https://www.discogs.com/Mark-Knopfler-Sailing-To-Philadelphia/release/3626303

There are still affordable copies of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road available. Plus it's available in multiple formats (SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray.)

Here are the Discogs listings:

Blu-ray Audio (One currently available for $17.99)
Double SACD (Available from a US seller for $28)
DVD-A (Available from a US seller for $30)

Amazon.de (Germany) has the SACD still in stock for 9,99€.

Hugo, I likewise voted a 10. BTW, do you have Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia also available as a Combo MLP DVD~A 5.1/RBCD: https://www.discogs.com/Mark-Knopfler-Sailing-To-Philadelphia/release/3626303
I don't have Sailing but have looked for a decent price. Guess they're pretty scarce but hard to pay $75+ especially when there are so many other titles on my list. Have you hear MK's new album? Listened a couple times on Tidal. Enjoyable and laid back as well. But great musicianship. Looks like his surround days might be over.

I don't have Sailing but have looked for a decent price. Guess they're pretty scarce but hard to pay $75+ especially when there are so many other titles on my list. Have you hear MK's new album? Listened a couple times on Tidal. Enjoyable and laid back as well. But great musicianship. Looks like his surround days might be over.

No I haven't heard Mark's new album. Will have to check it out. I agree, spending $75 on the DVD~A of Sailing to Philadelphia is excessive. Perhaps it will show up one day at a much nicer price. And yes, Mark's Surround Days are behind him ......perhaps he'll devote some time remixing Dire Straits' back catalogue in surround.

Back