HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
I just ordered this on Amazon yesterday and it's slated to be here sometime before the end of today. After reading through this thread, I found it disappointing I'm going to end up with the SACD version as that's the one most everyone says does not sound as nice when compared to the DVD-A. I'll just have to wait and see. For $16.54; I'll just put up with brighter highs and less bass. However I have two powerful subs that will probably help balance out the weaker bass. As far as the brighter highs, I do have some acoustic panels, so hopefully that will help. There's some here who have given the SACD version a 10 so maybe the SACD won't bother me too much.

Talking about different formats, my next purchase I think will be the BD-A version of Alan Parsons Project "The Eye In The Sky."

I just ordered this on Amazon yesterday and it's slated to be here sometime before the end of today. After reading through this thread, I found it disappointing I'm going to end up with the SACD version as that's the one most everyone says does not sound as nice when compared to the DVD-A. I'll just have to wait and see. For $16.54; I'll just put up with brighter highs and less bass. However I have two powerful subs that will probably help balance out the weaker bass. As far as the brighter highs, I do have some acoustic panels, so hopefully that will help. There's some here who have given the SACD version a 10 so maybe the SACD won't bother me too much.

Talking about different formats, my next purchase I think will be the BD-A version of Alan Parsons Project "The Eye In The Sky."
Well it's simply a beautiful album, I don't see how you can go wrong with the SACD version. I have both versions and the differences are minute to me.

Well it's simply a beautiful album, I don't see how you can go wrong with the SACD version. I have both versions and the differences are minute to me.
Thanks for letting me know. At least I can calm down about that now!

When I get some time, I'll see if I can find my original CD version of it (shouldn't be too hard to find) and see how it compares to the new stereo version of it before listening to the 5.1 mix.

The stereo version of the 2.0/5.1 SACD is my least favourite. Haven’t heard the DVD-A. I prefer the original stereo CD as well as MFSL stereo SACD over this one. It doesn’t breathe the same, a bit punchier perhaps, but lacks some of that out-of-this-world dynamics.

Last edited:
The stereo version of the 2.0/5.1 SACD is my least favourite. Haven’t heard the DVD-A. I prefer the original stereo CD as well as MFSL stereo SACD over this one. It doesn’t breathe the same, a bit puncier perhaps, but lacks some of that out-of-this-world dynamics.

With nothing to compare it to except of course the original 2.0 CD, I'll only be able to judge with what I get. When I returned home today; it wasn't here, so I checked the tracking; now it's saying tomorrow by 9pm.

Seems to me a BD-A version of this would be the way to go. I'm under the impression DSD is not all that great unless there can be a direct copy from analog direct to DSD since any other digital format needs to be converted.

The 5.1 mix for this album has given me a whole new appreciation for the songs on here. I'm sure that I wouldn't still be revisiting this album nearly as often if it wasn't for the great fidelity and pretty danged good surround mix. It is maybe just hair bright in the 3~8kHz range though, but the fidelity, dynamics, and deep tight bass make this album a real treat to rediscover in surround. You're gonna love it Barnman! :rocks

Last edited:
With nothing to compare it to except of course the original 2.0 CD, I'll only be able to judge with what I get. When I returned home today; it wasn't here, so I checked the tracking; now it's saying tomorrow by 9pm.

Seems to me a BD-A version of this would be the way to go. I'm under the impression DSD is not all that great unless there can be a direct copy from analog direct to DSD since any other digital format needs to be converted.

Because BIA was originally recorded PCM DDD 16/44.1, the transfer to DVD~A involved no conversion whereas the conversion to SACD involved a PCM>DSD 64 conversion. A BD~A [preserving the PCM domain] would be most welcomed as the DVD~A is long OOP. BTW, the gentlemen who did both the DVD~A and SACD versions of BIA preferred the DVD~A!

You will love Eye in the Sky. And Brothers in Arms.

BIA did arrive today. First, I wanted to check out the differences between the regular CD version (I have the original the one that says "Full Digital Recording" on the front of the CD cover) and the SACD version of the regular stereo track. So I put in what I thought was the regular CD version and I was totally blown away with what I was hearing. I thought well, this IS a full digital recording after all. So after listening to a little bit of the first two songs, I felt it was now time to switch to the SACD stereo track. When I ejected the disc, it was only then I discovered I had accidentally put in the SACD version first! I thought oh well, I'll just go ahead and check how the regular CD sounds now. When I put that in, the overall audio level was much lower, hence I had to turn it up. Before I get on with the rest of the story, I need to explain something.

My Sony multiformat disc player is set (I believe) to default to the multichannel version first...so I had no idea I was listening to the surround mix when I popped in the first disc. I thought I had heard some surround information, but I wasn't paying too much attention to that, as I thought I had the regular CD in it. I did later on, try to switch the SACD to the high resolution stereo version, but I could not easily do that on the fly with the remote. In fact, I never ended up doing that at all. I probably would have had to go into the disc player's menu to change that option. But that's fine, generally when I pop in a multichannel SACD, I'm going to want it to play the surround sound version anyway. Now for the rest of the story!

Overall, the regular CD I thought had mostly the same sonics as the 5.1 mix, but with more audio mixed together and at a lower level than the regular stereo version, but obviously the audio level can be easily fixed by turning up the volume. As a result of the original stereo mix-down, the delicate details which I originally heard in the surround version simply don't stand out as much, and sometimes not at all. That's not a bad thing, it's just different. I did however notice that the bass is somewhat more emphasized in the 5.1 version. I'm pretty sure that has more to do with how certain levels were set (or boosted) when making the new mix-down, rather than some hidden information the surround mix may have brought out.

What was brought out in this mix (as anyone can simply point out when stereo releases are remixed for multi-channel releases) is the clarity of all the sounds originally recorded. Not only is it easier for the audio engineer to get better results while
mixing less separate recordings (sounds) into less channels, it's also easier for the drivers in the audio system to reproduce those less demanding mixes per channel. I felt whoever worked on the remix did a really nice job with how they handled placing the instruments and vocals not only with the placement in certain speakers around the listener, but also with the audio levels for each speaker within that mix. Overall the audio felt pretty solid; as one. Maybe a better way to describe my experience is that it sounded and felt very natural.

The word stereo by the way (when describing 3-D vision) means "solid."
"stereopsis The normal ability to perceive objects as being solid."

Anyway; I felt even with all those sounds coming at me from all around, someone had to have done a very fine job of mixing the audio in a way to make it appear as if what I experienced is what one would expect to hear naturally in any recording at any time. I don't know who did the remix, but it sounds different than what Steven Wilson would have done. Which by the way does not mean it's bad in any way at all, I'm just not used to hearing a mix so well done outside of Wilson's work. I also know there's other surround mixes out there that are also very, very good; but I'm simply not used to hearing them. This is one of those discs.

There are however a couple moments throughout where I can tell the resolution of the original recording is lacking. Mainly in the voices...particularly in one of the tracks on this disc. I think the reason overall the audio is so good on this disc regardless of it's original digital sampling rate, has to do with the ones who were originally responsible with the mics and recording equipment while creating this album. For example, Alan Parsons is very well known to create excellent sounding recordings...it's science, and art mixed with a good dose of experience. I'm simply saying who ever the audio engineer was originally working on BIA knew what the hell they were doing.

You will love Eye in the Sky. And Brothers in Arms.

Before I purchase Eye in the Sky, I'm going to be listening to at least a couple, if not a few of my older DVD-A titles I originally purchased in the early 2000s.

This has been a lot of fun as it's been years since I've really sat down to listen to music the way I used to. Mainly the experiences I've been having for audio only listening has been the biggest unexpected surprise since my audio update...which by the way was mostly done for the enjoyment of movies.

I am listening to all my mch discs in alphabetical order. I first bought this CD in 1985. It was my first DDD disc. It was my best sounding cd. I gave this sacd a 9 when I purchased it. Now I have to raise my vote to 10. I never tire of hearing these songs in surround. The detail of the mix is astounding. This album has been and will always be a lesson in beautiful sound.

I gave this disc a 10. I mainly bought it because it was relatively cheap and I was just beginning to build my SACD library. I liked the album back in the day but I honestly got so tired of radio stations endlessly playing “Money For Nothing” and “Walk of Life” that it put me off the entire album for decades.

I can’t say I was eagerly anticipating its arrival. As a matter of fact it sat in my cabinet about a week before I even listened to it. From the opening notes of “So Far Away” I could tell that this was something special. MK’s vocals were crystal clear, front and center, the drums sounded more lifelike and natural than I had ever heard them and the surround mix wasn’t heavy-handed. It was like listening to it for the first time. I discovered that my favorite track is “Your Latest Trick,” just a rich, beautiful mix. I even gained a new appreciation for “Walk” as I was able to hear far more detail in MK’s playing style on this track that reminds me of Johnny Cash and the way his guitar could sound like a locomotive going down the tracks. It’s one of my favorite discs.

I gave this disc a 10. I mainly bought it because it was relatively cheap and I was just beginning to build my SACD library. I liked the album back in the day but I honestly got so tired of radio stations endlessly playing “Money For Nothing” and “Walk of Life” that it put me off the entire album for decades.

I can’t say I was eagerly anticipating its arrival. As a matter of fact it sat in my cabinet about a week before I even listened to it. From the opening notes of “So Far Away” I could tell that this was something special. MK’s vocals were crystal clear, front and center, the drums sounded more lifelike and natural than I had ever heard them and the surround mix wasn’t heavy-handed. It was like listening to it for the first time. I discovered that my favorite track is “Your Latest Trick,” just a rich, beautiful mix. I even gained a new appreciation for “Walk” as I was able to hear far more detail in MK’s playing style on this track that reminds me of Johnny Cash and the way his guitar could sound like a locomotive going down the tracks. It’s one of my favorite discs.
Funny as I was just playing Walk of Life a few minutes ago. Sounds great on this disc but now I keep thinking of pharmaceuticals every time I hear it. I also love Your Latest Trick.

My favorite is "Ride Across the River". Perfect song for the surround treatment.

Back