HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
Having done some comparisons between the lossy Atmos and 5.1 MLP versions I have to say, I hope this might see a Blu-ray release at some point because I think the Atmos mix is better than the old 5.1 mix, even though the fidelity of the 5.1 may cause me to still listen to it more.

Listening to Your Latest Trick, there is quite a bit of vocals sent through the surrounds and the hi-hat, they're not there on the Atmos mix. The Atmos mix is more discrete. It also has some additional keys in the intro not sent into the surrounds on the 5.1 mix (listen right at the 46s mark, then again at the 3:00 mark) at all. I don't have time right now to listen to the other tracks and compare, but those are my initial thoughts from Your Latest Trick. Now I'm looking forward to checking the other tracks I love out, like The Man's Too Strong and Why Worry.

@himey

[ID] 252766599
[Title] Money For Nothing (Remastered 2022)
[Artists] Dire Straits
[ReleaseDate] 1988-10-01
[SongNum] 12
[Duration] 4004

===========CD 1=============
[1] Sultans Of Swing
[2] Down To The Waterline
[3] Portobello Belle
[4] Twisting By The Pool
[5] Tunnel Of Love
[6] Romeo And Juliet
[7] Where Do You Think You're Going?
[8] Walk Of Life
[9] Private Investigations
[10] Telegraph Road
[11] Money For Nothing
[12] Brothers In Arms

DD+ Atmos off one of the streamers.

Here's 30 seconds of the second verse from Your Latest Trick (the 3 mins mark) just the LFE and surrounds mixed to a stereo track so you can hear the difference, lossy Atmos mix vs original DVD-A.

Sorry for not volume matching, be careful if you’re going from Atmos > MLP because it’s a leap in volume for sure!

Link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying the samples are of only the surround part of both mixes?

The surrounds on the DVD-A do have a lot of info but I don't hear the hi-hat...just sounds like a lot of reverb.
The surrounds on the Atmos track is much more discrete and actually much more pleasant to listen to. They probably took some of what would normally be mixed into the surrounds (like on the DVD-A) and put it overhead for the Atmos mix?

@himey

[ID] 252766599
[Title] Money For Nothing (Remastered 2022)
[Artists] Dire Straits
[ReleaseDate] 1988-10-01
[SongNum] 12
[Duration] 4004

===========CD 1=============
[1] Sultans Of Swing
[2] Down To The Waterline
[3] Portobello Belle
[4] Twisting By The Pool
[5] Tunnel Of Love
[6] Romeo And Juliet
[7] Where Do You Think You're Going?
[8] Walk Of Life
[9] Private Investigations
[10] Telegraph Road
[11] Money For Nothing
[12] Brothers In Arms

DD+ Atmos off one of the streamers.
I confused Money For Nothing with Brothers in Arms not being available on Tidal. I had MFN all along, but I hadn't listened to it, due to the poor reviews here. Hopefully BIA eventually gets released on Tidal. Thanks.

I confused Money For Nothing with Brothers in Arms not being available on Tidal. I had MFN all along, but I hadn't listened to it, due to the poor reviews here. Hopefully BIA eventually gets released on Tidal. Thanks.
I had forgotten about it, then was perusing the thread today and I looked in my folder and came across it.
It's all good! My memory has deep blanks sometimes. Way it is I guess.
Ditto on the BIA!

Just received my copy of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms and gave it a listen. This 5.1 mix is so good it made me want to jump out of my chair and do a happy dance. It's a 10 for me for all the right reasons. :51QQ
View attachment 95651
Your enthusiastic response made me take this one again. I'm jumping and dancing with you. Definitely a 10. Still voted.

Down to 5,99 on Amazon.de today! Mine got delivered and is indeed the real thing. Funny business, this! Appaerantly the market is saturated. Or no one buys it anymore now that the Atmos mix is streaming?

Back